1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad for Live FX

Discussion in 'Music Production' started by Sephira, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sephira

Sephira MerKaBa Technologist

Hey all!

Hope you are all keeping warm in your studios over this winter period (c:

I was wondering whether anyone uses an iPad for some sort of FX unit in their studio of live setup (for creating sounds rather than manipulating them)?

I currently have a mini kaossilator and KP which are both cool but I am always looking for ways to reduce my live setup footprint whilst maximising the "liveness".

What I like about the kaossilator is not only does it have lots of FX but it also allows you to set their key. The two things that I am really looking for.

So I wondered if this existed in some sort of iPad app? An iPad mini would be cool for this if such an app existed. I am going to do some further research and thinking about maybe using the omnisphere app and having that running but would have to jig stuff to get it in the right key for each track (i know this could be done in Live). But would probably have to also start changing presets and stuff in order to not be using the same 8 effects all the time.

So I thought I would through this out there (c:

Much love and warmth!
  2. Nanook

Nanook In the kitchen, studio or gym.

Have a looksie here, bro :)

iPad Music Apps

Plenty of things to think about!
    Stay well,
    C
  3. Sephira

Cheers for the link dude! Some fun stuff any there (c: Unfortunately nothing really seems to fit the bill (apart from some synth ones but im not really after a synth as it normally requires doing lots of preset changes and fiddle knob with your finger movement, particularly hard on an iPad mini)
  4. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Synth botherer
    Korg make there own ipad apps and that includes the ikaossilator

[​IMG]

Korg
  5. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Synth botherer
    P.S. I don;t know if that works on incoming audio or on pre loaded audio files only.
  6. tlann

tlann As confused as ever.

Bit Twiddler
    Touch OSC isn't a FX app, but a very cool control surface app. It could be helpful with minimizing your live setup and create interesting ways of using FX VSTs.
  7. hugoblin

hugoblin From Parts Unknown

Ah, just typed stuff out and the re read your post. For making sounds ive been using this

TC 11

Its got a really cool interface, editor and sound.

also been using animoog, which i think is hands down the best synth for IOS

Im thinking about getting 'density' looks like a cool granular synth

then osc control
    i can recomend touchable touchable . Very stable touch screen interface for ableton. Controls to launch, manipulate , play drums, keys and mutiple x-y controls with gravity sim.

ALT osc is alos great, but proving problematic on my system

Im waiting patiently for Live Control 2 for Lemur (same guy who did touch osc's template) It looks great:)
  8. Sephira

haha that TC-11 looks like a lotta fun! Good shout and thanks (c;

Touch OSC I have had a little play with before and could be very usable for my needs.

Have also had a play with touchable before and could be used. Hmmm, time to get tinkering I think!

Cheers guys! (c:
  9. hugoblin

its a bit raspy on the high end, but nothing a bit of eq on the channel can't tame ;)
  10. Mononegro

Mononegro Toasted

I've used Jay's iPad with TouchAble at Tribal Village and I loved it.
    Just discovered V-Control and now I want to buy an iPad to use it as a controller.
  11. nionn

nionn all talk no trousers & clumsy ears

(basic iphone4 here)

Is there another thread about iOS music apps?
    Any favourites here?

Younger Brother use the Animoog synth. Africa hi-tech used iSyn on an iPhone to set out drum basics and melody then reworked on a computer.

Gorillaz used thumbline baseline on iPhone for some releases. I think ABL2 app runs at the same sound quality as their 303 plug-in

edit: I just saw on PalmSounds
    http://www.palmsounds.net/2013/07/q...howComment=1374060493753#c8415126308680711882
  12. xmonsta

xmonsta New Member

If you have ableton, touchable is pretty good. However, the resolution isn't great (you can hear the steps as you move a fader or dial), but it is very stable.

I'm using lemur for iPad' now http://liine.net/ because it lets you customise to your own setup and doesnt have the resolution problems. Takes some time but definitely worth it in the long run. The original lemur cost around 5k, but now the iPad came around it stole the show and theyve had to reduce the price to like £30

There is a program for lemur called Mu ( uses maxforlive which comes for free if you have ableton live 9). Mu has some lovely templates that allow you to control the devices in live as if they are on your ipad. Awesome help for workflow imho. Development for Mu seemed to hit a roadblock last year and wouldnt work with live9' so I took it upon myself to fix it and added a few new features in the process. I set up a download link here for the time being while I'm beta testing the changes I made. http://www.xmonsta.com/downloads/func-startdown/1/.

I have written a tutorial on how to set up Mu here http://www.xmonsta.com/blog/mu-lemur-ableton-live-set-up-mac-osx-pc/

I wouldn't recommend to use Mu on Windows7 in a "live" environment. It seemed to crash for me a bit on windows 7 and prolly not what you want in front of a crowd, but mac works flawlessly.

If you are using ableton, in order to make the resolution better you might want to add some things to your options.txt file I've done a quick write up here on that http://www.xmonsta.com/blog/ableton-live-tweaks-for-maximum-controllerism/

I reckon a great live setup might include will marshalls dj template http://willmarshall.me/products/dj-template-apc40 quite easy to customise and you don't necessarily need the apc40 to get it working well

As mentioned above liine are releasing a new app soon called livecontrol2 which I'm looking forward to.

Hope it helps
  13. hugoblin

i have no0t noticed any resolution problems with touchable at all. Seems very smooth to me.
    Ive stopped using Lemur after it let me down on stage and i lost all midi control.
  14. xmonsta

xmonsta New Member

Yep, perhaps the resolutions are different, on different systems. However, when I measured them side by side, (by recording them in ableton), there was a visible and audible difference, where touchable had almost 1/32 step and the curve from the Lemur was completely smooth. Tried adhoc, tried everything. If you dont have these problems then I guess its not a worry for you.

Im not using the Midi in Lemur, so cant comment there. Its also possible to have a hardware midi cable coming out of the Ipad with Lemur.

I guess with any of these new softwares it just trial and error, to find the system that's right for you.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014