ex-cannabis smokers?

rowenna

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for other people in the psytrance scene who have had problems with abusing cannabis and have already started the process of quitting or have already quit and been through something similar. maybe we can provide moral support to one another though email, phone or even attend parties together. this is because I love psytrance and although I'm aware it's perfectly possible to go to parties without taking anything, but it would be really helpful if I was in the company of others who are tee-total when it comes to drugs (I am not able to consume anything apart from cigs and the odd beer). I know many people can smoke all their lives and be fine. I am not one of them. I pushed my limits and now I am scared of the mental effects my use has had on me. This isn't talked about very much. If there's anyone out there like me, please message me on here. It would be nice to chat.
Thanks,
Rowena

Yello, Rowena. I'm certainly not an ex-cannabis smoker, but I am an ex-daily cannabis smoker. It has definitely had a long term effect on me in terms of mild social anxiety, which I still experience now, and it was certainly played a massive factor in the depression I was going through a few years back. The week I quit smoking cannabis daily was one of the most lifechanging weeks of my life. Experienced positive effects almost immediately. :Smile3: I do take vast amounts of 'rugs at parties, though. I'm ashamed to admit that I definitely associate loud music with drug taking, and it's quite a hard association to break out of, and I'd love to be able to do the odd party completely sober, but I know it'd be extremely difficult. You a London party phreak?

I'm looking for other people in the psytrance scene who have had problems with abusing cannabis and have already started the process of quitting or have already quit and been through something similar. maybe we can provide moral support to one another though email, phone or even attend parties together. this is because I love psytrance and although I'm aware it's perfectly possible to go to parties without taking anything, but it would be really helpful if I was in the company of others who are tee-total when it comes to drugs (I am not able to consume anything apart from cigs and the odd beer). I know many people can smoke all their lives and be fine. I am not one of them. I pushed my limits and now I am scared of the mental effects my use has had on me. This isn't talked about very much. If there's anyone out there like me, please message me on here. It would be nice to chat.
Thanks,
Rowena

Hi Rowena!
Welcome to the forum.

Another ex-smoker here.
Feel free to drop me a private message if you need to chat :Smile3:

Hi. I gave up three years ago, and apart from the odd drag here and there I have never looked back. Sometimes I miss it but it's really surprising how quickly you realise your crutch was actually an obstacle. Dan's right, it is always harder when there's other people doing it, but hey, that's character for you. Be advised, the anxiety, apathy and introspection don't necessarily go away, but it's much easier to deal with if you're not caned all the time!

Be advised, the anxiety, apathy and introspection don't necessarily go away, but it's much easier to deal with if you're not caned all the time!

This is exactly it. Lots of introspection, anxiety and apathy. :\

Having said that, it can work wonders for creativity and I've had some amazing times producing music while stoned. But that's only when I use it very moderately.

I think the fact that it all sounds great can give you the confidence to press on and feel like you're getting your ideas down properly, but the flip side is that because it does all sound so good it is much harder to apply a properly critical ear. I think working with music straight is less intrinsically uplifting, but at the end what you end up with, if you're happy with it without narcotic enhancement, is probably going to be betterrer.

Thanks,
Rowena
I have Psychosis due to psychological trauma I suffered when I was 17. Ive tried cannabis about twice whilst I was ill with Psychosis. I ended up in a psychiatric unit lmao. Cannabis can trigger Schizophrenia or psychosis in certain people, - and take it from me you DO NOT want either of them.

I think the fact that it all sounds great can give you the confidence to press on and feel like you're getting your ideas down properly, but the flip side is that because it does all sound so good it is much harder to apply a properly critical ear. I think working with music straight is less intrinsically uplifting, but at the end what you end up with, if you're happy with it without narcotic enhancement, is probably going to be betterrer.

I think it's subjective, tbh. I've written my best music on drugs, and cannabis actually gives me a hyper critical ear when it comes to making sounds. I've had times where it's literally put me in a trance and the result of what I've written has awed me. :Smile3:

I used to smoke weed, not anywhere near on a daily basis but I can't anymore cos its just toooo strong. K > weed imo :Wink3:

Ha be careful with that one. A daily habit of cannabis is preferable to a daily habit with Ket. You might do more activity in your day-to-day if you're all wonked up then if you're really stoned but the physical effects can start to take their toll. Yes, ketamine IS better than weed (imo) in pure terms of enjoyment but one is not a substitute for the other.

Back on topic: luckily I haven't suffered adverse mental effects as of yet but when I do ill probably join ya :Wink3:

i'm an ex-smoker... well, once in a blue moon i'll have a toke or two (literally just that!) if i'm home watching a movie and don't have to deal with anyone apart from the wife.

8 years ago i was living in a'dam and had a 2g a day charas habit. got bad panic attacks and was generally not that happy. kicked it and didn't touch for a few years. like psychedanic though, i have a huge capacity for other drugs, it was just the puff that capsized my brain.

Ha be careful with that one. A daily habit of cannabis is preferable to a daily habit with Ket. You might do more activity in your day-to-day if you're all wonked up then if you're really stoned but the physical effects can start to take their toll. Yes, ketamine IS better than weed (imo) in pure terms of enjoyment but one is not a substitute for the other.

Back on topic: luckily I haven't suffered adverse mental effects as of yet but when I do ill probably join ya :Wink3:

lol don't worry I don't use any drugs in the way people who smoke weed daily do - as in have a spliff in the morning, or even mid afternoon I can never bring myself to do it lol! I mean in terms of if your chilling out in the evening watching a film instead of having a spliff I will have some K or after a big party, chilling out with K rather than rolling spliffs. I did a line of K alla wake and bake once, and it was a horrible day :Smile3:

welcome to the forum Rowena :Wink3:

I'm an ex-daily smoker too, it's easy to have too much of a good thing - I stopped caning it a few years ago, there wasn't anything to limit my smoking, apart from my mind/body letting me know I'd had enough, and it was time to cut down. I can enjoy an occasional smoke now, but it took time :Smile3:

I think tobacco makes you smoke more if you smoke it in joints too, when I gave that up, it was easier to cut down on cannabis. Hope you feel better soon, what's been said is true, it is easier to deal with negative emotions when you're off the weed

Back