What monitors?

Interesting you should say that, because Yamaha's HS range - which they tout as the official successors to the NS10 - are actually ported at the rear. Does that mean that in your opinion they've shot themselves in the foot?

They sound different, but the pronounced mid-range characteristic is still evident (if somewhat subdued in comparison).

J.
The magnifier glass effect was not so evident or pronounced for me. The MSP5s were used in a video edit suit but later moved in to a treated room identical to the room the NS-10s were set up in. I'm not saying they are rubbish. far from it. I put a bid in on those to, but the boss swiped them. I told him he was very naughty. But then he gave me some of his home made cider and the subject changed. The cunning bugger.

Should I take this to mean that you think I can't mix, or that other people couldn't mix on my monitoring system if they learnt it?

No wait I know the answer.

Cheers.
It means he's@&*=she's having a laugh. This is old territory though isn't it.

MOVING ON

Should I take this to mean that you think I can't mix, or that other people couldn't mix on my monitoring system if they learnt it?

Neither. It's just a rule for life which has served me well.

And proper monitors make your mixes sound better.

Yours, as per your question to me.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying I wouldn't be better using monitors, but I can turn out mixes that translate perfectly well without them using a Sony hi-fi and I think anyone else could too. My point being that it's way, way, way more important to know the system. Every monitoring system has it's foibles. Experience with any monitoring system of any quality good or bad is a much more real benefit than the quality of the system.

Just as if something sounds good, it is good, if I can hear a difference between mix 'a' which I know to be good on many systems and the mix I've just done on my 'monitors' and I am unhappy with how my mix is translating to other systems, the logical thing to blame is not the monitoring, but the mix. If, I reach a point where I feel that my mixes are 'as perfect' as they can be made on my current system and I cannot hear sufficiently well to correct these translation issues (ie I cannot hear the differences on my system), then I will blame the system. Not before.

Yours, as per your question to me.

Yes, of course. That's how I know they're finished.

Otherwise they're just rough mixes or demos.

My point isn't that you're a cunt and I'm brilliant. It is that in order to perform the task of mixing a record you need a bare minimum of equipment.

If we disregard mixers and whatnot and assume we're all mixing ITB, you need a computer, an audio interface, two pieces of wire and some proper studio monitors.

In one breath you said your Sony hi-fi speakers are completely adequate and in another you said that none of your mixes translate.

There's a clue there if you look hard enough.

Back