Software PsyTrance Bass Synthesis VST - Which do you like!?

Prophecy99

Forum Member
Reaction score
I am finally in the market to buy a nice VST Synth for the main purpose of making Bass (and of course anything else is a plus, like leads and atmospheres). Right now I am leaning Serum , because of some artists i love dearly are using it, it's popularity, its sound, and its additional features besides bass. But there are so many to choose from and I would like to hear peoples opinions or experiences with them, maybe even examples? Of course some artists I like I have no idea what they use for Bass so, I am trying to keep an open mind before I pick a path. With the cost of these around $150 - $200+, i want to try to get it right the first time. I have researched Psytrance synths on the web for a while, some references dating back so long. So i thought this thread may be a nice cohesive and current list for anyone considering a new vst synth for bass. Is it easy to get bored with just one? Do some of you ever get additional ones because you want a new sounds and colors? Right now I have been just using native synths inside my DAW and I am ready for something more ! Cost is not a deciding factor for me but to make this list more informative I added prices.

Here is list of Psytrance VST Synths that I found that are popular for Bass Synthesis.

Serum -$189
Sylenth1 - $164 +/-
Massive - $149
Hive 2 - $176 +/-
Bazille - $152 +/-
Zebra 2 - $235 +/-
Spire - $189
Dune 3 - $168
TAL Bassline 101 - $60
Trillian - $299
Reaktor 6 - $199
Viper - $104 +/- (PC Only)
UltraBass MX4/4 - $31 +/- (PC Only)
Alien303 V2 - $22 +/- (PC Only)

Feel Free to suggest any I haven't discovered, and I can update the list. And I apologize if I didn't post any other obvious popular ones!

Last edited:
If you are on a PC then Viper. Very much like my Virus B. Great synth. Well they both are.

Edit: Tutorials too. He also does them for the hardware also. Second vid he starts making a psy track.

Last edited:
that thing does sound really good, thanks for sharing. though i didn't get to hear much bass from it or find much talk on it being used for bass. and mac os here =)

that thing does sound really good, thanks for sharing. though i didn't get to hear much bass from it or find much talk on it being used for bass. and mac os here =)
It's basically a Virus emulation. But as you're on a Mac then it's a no go.

Judging from the various videos on You tube. Every man and his dog seems to be all over Serum these days for Psy Bass.

If you wanted to try Bazille, I think you can get BazilleCM for free from Computer Magazine. As its magware, i guess it has a reduced feature-set but you can probably do what you need to do for psybass.

Tone2's Icarus is worth checking out too for all manner of interesting sound design not just bass and an interesting alternative to serum.

Judging from the various videos on You tube. Every man and his dog seems to be all over Serum these days for Psy Bass.

If you wanted to try Bazille, I think you can get BazilleCM for free from Computer Magazine. As its magware, i guess it has a reduced feature-set but you can probably do what you need to do for psybass.
yea lol, and thanks for the heads up! i would definitely like to try that out!, now that I think about it , i def tried to get that free one, but it ended up being confusing, and you had to sign up for the magazine to get the plug in... ($$) i should look into it again
Tone2's Icarus is worth checking out too for all manner of interesting sound design not just bass and an interesting alternative to serum.
sweet i will look that up too, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sil
thanks for sharing, i will add the UltraBass MX4/4 to the list, another one i recently found is Dune3

Spectrasonics Trillian is also very good

Tau Pro is good and easy and the glide feature allows for some nice wobbly basslines

Tal 101 is also great

Alien303 is great and easy to use

Kindzadza has a Reaktor ensamble that is also easy to use and free

Last edited:
Spectrasonics Trillian is also very good

Tau Pro is good and easy and the glide feature allows for some nice wobbly basslines

Tal 101 is also great

Alien303 is great and easy to use

Kindzadza has a Reaktor ensamble that is also easy to use and free
Thanks for sharing, I will add to the list.

Iam in love with Omnispheres 106 saw wave. It just got balls. Combined with the uvi1 filter and then external filter it with cytomics the drop. Perfekt combination for me.

I've been using Ableton's Operator for years since discovering how great it does bass (and kicks, hats, snares, FM leads, etc etc). Before I made the full switch to Live I tried to find a VST that does the same thing without much luck, so I guess this suggestion is only for Live users.

Before I switched fully to Live I was often using:

Phoscyon
TAL Elektro II
Sylenth
Novation V Station
VB-1 :P
a nice 303 sawtooth sample

Back