Hardware New 'puter

Deleted member 735

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Reaction score
Think I've decided to just get the 3XS racked and ready system.
Anyone got any better ideas, before I wade in, in the coming days?

(Suggestions on a new screen, also welcome. I used to use 2 x 24 ....but prefer a single one these days. ...Something in the region of 27"+)

Just seen your post 'nook. On the train to Manc at the mo'. Signal is being a bit spotty so might have to take a proper look at this later on.

does it need it? Big chunk like that isn't going travel very much is it?

Thinking ahead. Just about to move house.....with covid I only got to see it once before I put an offer in.... so no idea where router etc is.

Just seen your post 'nook. On the train to Manc at the mo'. Signal is being a bit spotty so might have to take a proper look at this later on.

Thanks Grok..

Also... why the visit? ...Next time you're up here lets go for a curry or something!

It's a wifi antenna. If you have issues with low signal in a particular room, you can swap one of your external antennas for one of these babies. Better gain and the long cable allows you to move it away from sources of interference like leaky power bricks and whatnot. Incidentally that's the issue with reception on my desktop, it is sandwiched in a corner next to a 8 way socket multiplier with all sorts of stuff plugged into it. The card-provided antennas just can't quite cut through all that bullshit that's buzzing the wifi signal.

It's a wifi antenna. If you have issues with low signal in a particular room, you can swap one of your external antennas for one of these babies. Better gain and the long cable allows you to move it away from sources of interference like leaky power bricks and whatnot. Incidentally that's the issue with reception on my desktop, it is sandwiched in a corner next to a 8 way socket multiplier with all sorts of stuff plugged into it. The card-provided antennas just can't quite cut through all that bullshit that's buzzing the wifi signal.
...or you can get a mesh wifi like I did. 200mps wifi in every room, and hardwired network speed on every remote. Essential when there's three of us here working from home. No problems at all since I got it

TP-Link Mesh Network Thingy

Cheers :Smile3:

...or you can get a mesh wifi like I did. 200mps wifi in every room, and hardwired network speed on every remote. Essential when there's three of us here working from home. No problems at all since I got it

Also thank you :Smile3:

Nay that'd be overkill for us - I live in a 2 bed flat, and in fact the router is 5m away from the desktop computer as the crow flies. The issue in my particular case is all the cabling and power supplies for different gadgets and whatnot being too close to the antennas, and also a number of walls at oblique angles, hence why that big antenna with the long extension cable helps. The other devices around the house are fine.

Had family stuff to take care of elsewhere in the UK and took the opportunity to get 2 days for myself in Manchester for old times sake. Deffo up for catching up over a curry next time. :Wink3:

Sounds awesome! :Smile3:

Whilst you're in this thread.... any thoughts on the machine I posted? (They can amend/swap bits if needed/recommended)
:Smile3:

Still have an earlier version of the same case. It's solid, rack mountable and is decently laid out for that form factor. The processor/RAM/heatsink/B550 MOBO combo is decent too. The NVME boot drive is probably a little smaller than I'd like in an ideal world, but 500GB should be fine if it's actually going to just be for music production (if they can up it to 1TB size without costing the earth, do so). The cooler is decent enough and should keep it on the verge of inaudible, which is always nice.

There is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda listed as a storage drive on the front page description, but it's not listed on the specs page. That should be checked on as to whether they include it or not, if they do, the price difference between the 1TB version they listed and a 2TB version of the same drive is a tenner. If you're going to actually go for a regular HDD, spend the extra tenner and get the 2 TB version.

What I'd recommend rather than that though is putting a bit more $ in and getting a 1-2TB SSD for storage, more expensive, but no drive sounds means less distractions/background hum when you're working (the HDD is likely to be as loud if not louder than the CPU cooler when doing seeks/writes). It doesn't need to be expensive or particularly fast as a storage drive, just ask them for a 1 or 2TB Samsung QVO and you'll get something fast enough and utterly silent.

The graphics card is anaemic, but it will do the job for any music prod software and allow you to stream video etc. In the current market, that's pretty much all you can get without bumping the price of the whole build up another £400 for something that's even then, low end. Don't waste money on a better card for now unless you really want to play games now, prices should start to fall on GFX cards in a few months time and if you really want a card that can do more, spring next year (Q1/Q2) should see prices start to fall properly. In the meantime though, prices are outrageous for them and retailers barely have any in stock.

Seasonic PSU is excellent and will be absolutely silent at 30% or less power draw, which should be most of the time if nothing else power hungry gets added to the machine.

I priced it all up off the same kit listed on their website and so long as the 1TB HDD is included it works out to roughly £1179-1199, plus call it a hundred for them assembling and setting it up for you while you also don't have to wait for a GFX card to come into stock, that would bring it up to their asking price of £1299. It's not a bad deal if you want it assembled for you, plus Scan are good at looking after you if you do have problems down the line.

Last edited:
Back