1 or 2 DIMMS

Reaction score
in increasing memory from 512MB on the imac g5 (see apple store)
1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 1DIMM is add £119 and
1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2DIMMs is add £89 but the
1.5GB DDR400 SDRAM - only comes with 2DIMMs

why is the 2dimms for the 1GB mem cheaper than the one :? :fishing:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
canyouhearthegoblins said:
why is the 2dimms for the 1GB mem cheaper than the one :? :fishing:

Because the chips that are on the high-capacity 1GB DIMM stick are more expensive than those on the two 512MB sticks.

You get a similar thing with HDD capacity (400GB being more expensive than 2x250(500GB) drives).

J.

ichabod

Reaction score
100quid for half a gig of RAM seems a tad steep!!! or is that just apple macs :Wink3:

Don't know if they take the same type of memory as PCs but 512MB of standard PC3200 DDR is normally only around 30quid. You'll need to speak to someone who knows something about Macs I suppose... but if they do take the same memory types then it might be cheaper just to buy the memory and install it yourself?

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
As much as I can get for the money I have! This is also dependent on how many free slots I have in my machine.

As far as I can tell from Apple's price list, the 1.5GB upgrade is the 1GB stick and the 512MB one, and the 2GB is 2x1GB DIMMs. Of course Apple, being Apple, are putting a roughly £30 surcharge on standard RAM prices - but I know how shirty they can get if you go to third parties for bits and bobs, and at least that way you don't have to faff around fitting it yourself.

Hope it's what you need!

J.

Ichabod - I thought it was more like fifty quid for 512MB usually.... I was comparing the 1GB sticks I use from Scan, which are about £95-97 including VAT,

Reaction score
:? cheers guys
still baffled
anyway
if was upgrading from 512MB to 1GB does it actually make a diffence whether it's made up of 1 1gb or 2*512mb ? guess not :Smile3:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
nope, but if you go for 1 in a single stick, or 1.5, it's easier to upgrade to 2 later if you so wish. :Smile3:

'Cos if you want to go up to 2 later and you've got 2 512s, you'll have to replace both of em rather than just slot a second one in, innit?

Hope this is clear enough! :Grin:

J.

silky

meh...
Reaction score
well in theory your system will be quicker if you install all your memory to a single stick due to less cpu time wasted scanning more than one memory slot, plus less power/heat etc if ur bothered about that. ideailly you just want one big fat one rather than 4x256mb for ex.

in reality you'd probly notice no difference unless your an uber nerd.....

ant