5.1 ??

Drat Mafia

Total Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before but anybody know any 5.1 produced dance msuic out there? i heard Richie Hawtin has dabbled but can't find any tracks/mixes out there.

i have just aquired a tasty 5.1 setup and am eager to test it (apart from counterstrike :Smile3: )

theremin

Junior Members
Reaction score
Probably not what you're looking for, but I believe there is a 5.1 version of nine inch nail's 'With Teeth' album.

btw: day of defeat is better!

Mindflux

ZubZub
Reaction score
Well, you might want to try Orbital's "The Altogether" DVD - although there are a number of 5.1 music discs around, very few are genuine 5.1 mixes - rather, they tend to be a stereo mix with an added "ambience" in the surrounds. Orbitals disc is genuine 5.1 mixing, with some lovely effects incorporated in to the way the music is delivered.

I'm surprised more artists, particularly in the psy-whatever arena, haven't done more with 5.1 technology, as a lot of the psychedelic sounds and positioning would lend themselves very well to this and have greater impact. I'd would have loved Ozric Tentacles to do a 5.1 album but, apparently, its too expensive.

Crispy

Fried for too long
Reaction score
i think the reason psy trance artists havnt done it is because firstly getting a surround sound system in a club or festival would be very unlikely
secondly to mix surround you need 5 speakers and a sub which is a considerable amount more $ than just 2 speakers and a major extra investment when there are shiny new synths to be bought etc
as well as it being a mission in comparrison to normal mixing.
i agree the potential is huge and maybe it will become feasible at some point but i cant see it happenning soon.

Drat Mafia

Total Member
Reaction score
okey doke, thanks for the answers, seems i'll have to stick to computer games and movies :Smile3:

will be sure to check ozric dvd and possible even reach for the ceiling and grab jean michel jaaaaaaarre too :Smile3:

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
I thought S-Range was gonna be doing something 5.1 related?????

Reaction score
Tipper's album SURRROUNDED is in 5.1....much more of a chilled cinematic journey than hard breaks which he is known to put put. IDM, ambient, breaks and wickd sound design too.