5-inch Active monitors?

Getafix

Bass Freak
Reaction score
Hi i've been looking to buy some small active monitors..i've narrowed it down to the following one's:
KRK Rokit 5
Alesis M1 Active 520
Samson Rubricon R5a

Event ALP5

they are all in the $300 range

does anyone have any experience with any of these..since i am in pakistan i do not have the opportunity to listen to each one personally & have to rely on recommendations..a friend of mine has the krk rokit 5's and they sound pretty decent for their size..the other 3 are all new monitors, hence reviews are hard to come by! thanks for the help..

Stray Aussie

Lost in Oblivion....
Reaction score
Hi S Cube,

Not sure exactly what u mean by 5 inch, but I've got Alesis M1 Active Mk2,
they're really nice monitors....they can pack a lot of punch and have great clarity....I run them out of a MOTU 828 Mk2 firewire audio interface from my Mac. I'd recommend them for sure. Good luck with it!!

James.

Getafix

Bass Freak
Reaction score
hey stray aussie..

Well by 5-inch i meant monitors for a smaller studio which usually have a 5-inch subwoofer...the one's u mentioned have a six-inch woofer...the Alesis M1 active 520's are the newer versions of the one's u own..i was hoping someone who owns a pair would recommend them since its hard to find reviews of new monitors..thanks for the reply though..

M

makdaddy

got back from having a jam with a mate that uses the Fostex pm0.5
19503_m.jpg

there very tidy indeed and bwoy do they pack a very balanced punch!!
i recommend!! im used to the very heavy bottom end of my alesis m1's but the bottom on the fostex is so tight.. i really like em :iyes:

learn more here.... http://www.dv247.com/invt/19503

Sonixotic

Junior Members
Reaction score
I have the KRK Rokit 6-inch version.. I'm happy with them overall, in the mid to higher frequencies the sound is dead sharp, however I do find that they lack a bit in the bass region, and obviously with the smaller build of the 5-inch model they will lack even a bit more. I think it was FutureMusic who said that the KRK's are optimal for rock music, but maybe other monitors will be better for electronic stuff.

Getafix

Bass Freak
Reaction score
hmmm i'm confused now! so i guess the fostex's are the better deal then since stray aussie mentioned they have a nice and tight bottom end?

M

makdaddy

im not a stray aussie! but i would swap em for my Alesis M1 MkII 's any day

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw another into the pot.
M-Audio Studiophile BX5 actve monitors. Had mine a couple of months now and love 'em. Didn't think You could get so much sound including base out of such small cones. Pretty accurate for the price.

Getafix

Bass Freak
Reaction score
sorry makdadyy i had u confused with stray aussie..my apologies..
@ jackrabbit
i'm a little wary of m-audio products..though they do make good entry level products i've had some bad experiences with them

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
i've got 6" KRK's and I love them. The sound including bass is tight and round, I think the cabinet design helps with the bass.