ººº What Happend to the PSY ARTIST? ººº

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
VEDA said:

Full Lutos friend NAMASTE we're brothers i love your web site are you from INDIA?
THE BEST VIBES

BOOM

Hi Veda, yes I do originate from India, but I am born and brought up in the UK. Thanks for the kind words.

Bom Bhole Nath sab ke Saath :Wink3: :Grin:

Faction

Proto-col
VEDA said:
Well i think that the opinion that the vinyl its expensive thats just an excuse, it's heavy? why do you think like this? For me that's stupid way of thinking i'm woman and I am very proud to carry this weight , If here are two ladies that them does not import to carry this weight because why the others if?
Why bother carrying something heavy when you can carry the same thing in a much smaller, lighter format? This is nothing to do with whether you are a man or a woman.

VEDA said:
First when you touch with vinyls your can palpate the music that is to say touch it with your own hands can play with to scratch if desire it. On the other hand with a cd player these limited to touch buttons nothing but
Scratching with CD has been possible now for a couple of years, eg. Pioneer CDJ1000.

VEDA said:
1 to vinyl there are loops you can make a lot of
things with this.
Loops on vinyl? Do you mean drum loops or being able to repeat a section of the record for an infinitely long time? If you mean drum loops, these are available on CD too (in fact, many many more loop CDs than records!). If you mean looping a section of the record, this is impossible on vinyl but is trivial to do on most CDJs these days.

VEDA said:
2 to vinyl could star by the end and ends at the begining and this functions since any type of turntables.
Many CDJs (eg Pioneer CDJ1000 again) allow you to play the CD backwards.

VEDA said:
3 at the vinyl let to see the track you see the breaks and every that You want to see.
Again, CDJ1000.

VEDA said:
4 you can play with 3,4,5 vinyls at the same time!
Of course you can, this is called 'DJing'. :Wink3: However I have yet to see a record player that can play two tracks off the same vinyl simultaneously, as some of the Denon CDJs can.

VEDA said:
5 to vinyl it' s art you can make then with diferents colours & sizes.
Isn't it about the music? And don't CDs have colourful artwork on them too, and come in different shapes and sizes (eg credit cards, 8cm disks, etc)?

VEDA said:
6 the vinyl sound its warm that makes you to hear the sounds like real.
CD on the other hand doesn't just sound like real, it sounds real because it reproduces exactly what went on there in the first place.

VEDA said:
7 a vinyl never remained hit as a cd does it that this bordered or dirty
I don't understand quite what you meant here... sorry. Please rephrase? If you mean that CDs get dirty or scratched easily... so does vinyl. However you can buy CD repair kits that can polish out even relatively large scratches to make a CD playable again (as long as the scratch doesn't affect the aluminium substrate that contains the data). Can you repair a really bad scratch to a vinyl record?

soliptic

whirling mathematician
VEDA said:
Well thanks to all for your replys i really like to see difrernts opinions about this and this thread shows us a lot of things.

Well i think that the opinion that the vinyl its expensive thats just an excuse, it's heavy? why do you think like this? For me that's stupid way of thinking i'm woman and I am very proud to carry this weight , If here are two ladies that them does not import to carry this weight because why the others if?

nah, you miss my point

the heaviness thing has nothing to do with the DJ being too wimpy to carry it.

It has to do with the fact that you're effectively paying a premium for a distribution/haulage company to drive the bastards around the country/world, instead of concentrating on paying the artist/label.

Same thing with the expensive issue - its not that its "too expensive" for the end customer - as in, you cant afford £5/6 - its more than its needlessly expensive so you end up paying a large % of that £5/6 for the costly physical medium itself - again, reducing the amount that ends up with the artists.

Now you might say: "if you buy a vinyl, then substract the cost of vinyl, and cost of distribution, the artist is left with about 50p. But if you buy an MP3 for £1.50 the artist is still left with 50p. So how does vinyl mean the artist gets less?"

Well, because if you have six quid to spend, you can either buy 1 vinyl for £6, and pay 1 artist 50p, or - with the SAME £6 - you can buy 4 mp3s for £1.50 each, and pay 4 artists 50p each (or 1 artist £2).

You get more tunes, and more money gets to the artists instead of the producers and distributors of the media .

The format of vinyl you can do too many things that with a cd never managed to do it

First when you touch with vinyls your can palpate the music that is to say touch it with your own hands can play with to scratch if desire it.

On the other hand with a cd player these limited to touch buttons nothing but

you really havent used any modern cdjs, have you?

any decent cdj these days lets you touch and manipulate the disc to
scratch with it, or dab a finger on it to slow it down, push it forward a little, etc, etc. Very much like vinyl. (Note, I dont claim "exactly", the feel is not identical, but its similar, and a very long way from "only buttons". cdjs havent been "only buttons" for years.)

3 at the vinyl let to see the track you see the breaks and every that You want to see.

again, newer cdjs already do this with a graphical representation of the track dynamics.

admittedly, the one i've seen isnt that great (in terms of detail), but its functional, and this feature bound to improve rapidly.

4 you can play with 3,4,5 vinyls at the same time!

did i miss the point where it was declared somehow impossible to use 3, 4, 5 cdjs at the same time?

Oops, no I didnt. Go download the Scratch Perverts Essential Mix. The scratching and turnablism you hear on this mix will defy belief, and they did it on 6 cdjs.

They're some of the best turntablists in the world; if cdjs are good enough for them to scratch and beatjuggle with, they're good enough for me.

generally i get the strong impression you havent used cdjs since the earliest models of 3-4 years ago. do some research before slating things :Smile3:

soliptic

whirling mathematician
LOL, if I'd have waited 2 minutes I would have seen Colin was on exactly the same wavelength and saved myself some typing! :Grin:

VEDA

Magnética - Polux - DarkOhm
soliptic & Coolin have you ever play with a vinyl ?

Coolin The cds player have you mentioned are more expensive that a turntables
I know what are you talking about it but this its better that you have mentioned

But i want to let you know that its new those cds player its appears few years ago, but the people that use vinyls are working with all that techniques since 60 years ago

I think that it's better that you make your own magic than machine does if this is the case so in the future only robots can be djs hehehehehehe

Thanks Coolin and the others mates for this value information i like this thread a lot and i really would like to expend this information :Smile3:

PD: Try some day play with vinyls and let your self feel the real power playing :Wink3:

Faction

Proto-col
I learned to DJ with vinyl in 1994. I teach schoolchildren how to DJ - with vinyl. And I use CDJs myself when I DJ.

Sorry Veda - where is the magic in the machine? It's just as much a skill with CDJs as it is with vinyl. More, if anything, because the possibilities are greater.

soliptic

whirling mathematician
VEDA said:
soliptic & Coolin have you ever play with a vinyl ?

yup. only played out 2 or 3 times in the last year, cos i've been living in the sticks, but for the 3-4 years before that i was playing out on vinyl several times a month :Smile3:

vinyl is still my default medium for djing -- i do prefer to have at least one cdj so i can play some bootlegs and stuff I've made which I dont have on vinyl -- but many venues dont have them so I happily play all-vinyl sets a lot of the time.

dont misunderstand the above, i'm not dissing vinyl, or denying that in many regards cdjs are playing catchup to match what vinyls have been doing for decades.

its just that cdjs have now caught up sufficiently that i dont believe vinyl carries any compelling practical advantages these days. and balanced against the advantages of cost, weight, convenience, speed, ease of burning original / unsigned material, etc, I'm increasingly drawn towards cdjs

its all academic really because i dont take myself remotely seriously as a dj anyway. cant even beatmatch properly. next week i'm moving to the other end of the country, miles away from all the promoters who have i've been playing for - and i dont intend to bother making contact with any new ones.

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
ah man i wanted to disect her post and disagree but ya got there first :P
you're right, there is an unbeatable feeling when releasing a vinyl onto a beat, and i like the hands-on approach to pitch bending. and there is more satisfaction for me when i actually manage to beat-match on vinyl.
alas, CD decks have many pro's and not so many cons, they're only comparitive cons being that they're not as hands-on in the same way and lose a 'vintage' quality... but, especially for trance, in every other way they've got something over the vinyl. sorry :Grin:
...full flight...

I think I'll just chime in and say I couldn't give a shit what medium the DJ is playing with so long as their set is good.

I swear, DJs and Producers are some of the most rabidly annoying tech zealots. Who cares what overpriced hunk of Chinese child-manufactured piece of metal/plastic you are using so long as what comes out on the other end sounds good.

:runsmile:

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reconstructed said:
I swear, DJs and Producers are some of the most rabidly annoying tech zealots. Who cares what overpriced hunk of Chinese child-manufactured piece of metal/plastic you are using so long as what comes out on the other end sounds good.:runsmile:
we do :Smile3:

AEON

dipthong mong
another great thing about CDs:

you can burn copies of all your music and leave the originals at home.

for any gigging DJ who has ever lost records, or had them nicked, or damaged, this is a god-send. plus you can stick say 20 top tracks onto 2 CDs and carry the entire set in your pocket. in fact when i play producer's sets it's just 2 CDs and let me tell you - i don't miss vinyl for a second, especially not at 6am when that monster record bag would be cutting my shoulders in two...

i'm also mega-conscious that every time i play a record out it's one less time i will be able to enjoy it. records DO wear out, and if you're playing clubs with weights taped on the cartridges the wear is accelerated... CDs can take the pain, especially if you use backups.

D

dave arc-i

dogcow said:
i can't believe threads about this still exist.

maybe we are spoilt because we have easy access to the latest kit - it has been a topic of discussion between myself and some friends at various times - we now have light and sound way beyond were it was at when i & them first got started doing stuff and i think there is a tendancy to forget that others are still playing catch-up - look at how many people are playing off laptops now as the most recent exmple of moving on

there are still genres of dance music that seem to be still mostly based around vinyl - techno being the one that springs to my mind but psy-trance has always appeared (to me) to represent the so called 'cutting-edge' and if that is the case in reality ( i currently have my doubts with the music) then it is only logical to be using the most recent advances with what technology allows us to be able to do.

soliptic

whirling mathematician
dave arc-i said:
psy-trance has always appeared (to me) to represent the so called 'cutting-edge'

heh

funnily enough my idea of why vinyl wasnt popular in psytrance was almost the opposite

i had the impression it was because in the early days when goatrance first evolved people used to play sets from minidiscs, dats, cassettes and stuff. they werent bothered about beatmatching... even for a long time after actual goa started getting made people would still just mix the floaty bits.

i wasnt aware of the "vinyl melts in goa" thing, thats an interesting nugget i have learnt from this thread!

dogcow

SMOKER
i wasn't even implying there that one is better then the other, because really, it's a matter of taste. it's a fact that vinyl sounds different from cds but it's still a matter of taste which sound you prefer.

what i found unbelievable is that there are still threads about this topic. all practical considerations aside, you can't really proove to anyone why your taste is right and theirs is wrong.

veda does sound a lot like a troll though. i still can't figure out why this thread got so many replies. is it because he/she speaks such bad english and everyone wants to show it makes no difference on this board, because it's what you say that counts? and really, if that's the case here, you're being counterproductive because what veda is saying is inane.