ººº What Happend to the PSY ARTIST? ººº

VEDA said:
I open this thread because i'm little upset that the Psy musicians don't work on vinyls why? Maybe they are limited just work on mp3 & cd format?

The vinyl sound is the best after the real machine like Roland, Yamaha, etc

I want to know why the artists are limited now ?

:mad:

I totally agree Veda. I too am a DJ who works on vinyl and find it very hard to get good psy on vinyl. Vinyl sounds better. It is limiting, I agree.

I am yet to hear a good reason (from someone who has played both CD and vinyl).

Perhaps we shall both just sit here and wait for somebody to enlighten us. :Sad:

i may be wrong but isnt it just that its cheaper to produce and distribute cd's? less expense for the labels alot of which are struggling......

i have seen some of the larger labels (TIP etc) still releasing on vinyl.

alpha_juno said:
i may be wrong but isnt it just that its cheaper to produce and distribute cd's? less expense for the labels alot of which are struggling......

i have seen some of the larger labels (TIP etc) still releasing on vinyl.

Well i'm agree that is less expensive than a vinyl and i know there some shop at the net have some vinyls on sale but they are really soft like trance but i love twisted,dark & full on

think those artist are limited and don't make a good inversion on vinyls.

I not agree with mosts of the dj's search the psy music by soulseek,kasaa, limewire, ares,etc, they just burn a cd and the artist don't earn money and the dj earn money with the artist work it doesn't make sense to me
they work doesn't value? i think an artist west a lot of time making a track got few money then the dj's earn more than an artist i'm not agree.

A vinyl could be expensive but i think that is the worth to the artist and vinyl it's original don't you think?

All the artist have to make they works worth !

PD: Lady Lotus my respect to you , you must to be a woman ! :Wink3:

Red five said:
and vinyl is VERY spensive to make.

Hey Red we were respondig at the same time i would like that you read this :

Well i'm agree that is less expensive than a vinyl and i know there some shop at the net have some vinyls on sale but they are really soft like trance but i love twisted,dark & full on

think those artist are limited and don't make a good inversion on vinyls.

I not agree with mosts of the dj's search the psy music by soulseek,kasaa, limewire, ares,etc, they just burn a cd and the artist don't earn money and the dj earn money with the artist work it doesn't make sense to me
they work doesn't value? i think an artist west a lot of time making a track got few money then the dj's earn more than an artist i'm not agree.

A vinyl could be expensive but i think that is the worth to the artist and vinyl it's original don't you think?

All the artist have to make they works worth !

the artist is not really in control of the release format (well in my experience) unless they have some serious clout..... i would say this is the decision of the labels...... and CD is a cheaper and more manageable format.... i'm not sure of exact costs but when we were signed and releasing the cost of producing a 12" single vinyl with multicoloured sleeve & spindle label was way over £1 per unit...... i'd stab a guess at you being able to get a couple of CD albums produced for this cost......<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

not to mention the progress of CD mixing technology over the last few years..... <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

for sure vinyl is cool..... i love it ;]<o:p></o:p>

Vinyl sounds better? well that might be true if your brain could pickup the bitz in between samples......but we cant :Wink3: I use Vinyl aswell, but I cant wait till i can afford a couple of cdj500'z, no more huge boxez of vinyl, no more lost recordz (just reburn!) yay! :Grin: someone lend be £800 in the meantime? lol

CD'z are soooooo much cheaper to produce, and easier to replace, and 1000 times lighters......who the hell wantz vinyl? pfft :p

Colin OOOD said:
The last vinyl psy DJ I know hung up his 1210s when he realised he couldn't play as loud as the DJ before him (who was playing CDs) because the decks were feeding back through the needles.

Well i think it happend because they didn't have a real good sound

Maybe there wasn't a good engineer of sound , i think

I played at partys with vinyls and the sound it's amazing and then a dj played with cds and it was so simple

Sound its the most important thing that you have to equalized if you don't do it well you'll here the uuhmm sound, this sound it's produce by the Kick of the music that's you call a feedback but the feedback only happend with the bass :Wink3:

its dead, jim.

i remember a few years ago when cdjs first came out, there were major ructions throughout the dnb scene, because that had always been firmly and passionately vinyl orientated. now cdjs are absolutely commonplace even in that scene, because nobody wants to pay £40 for a dubplate when they could pay 40p for a cd-r. Producers will aim a new tune to a dj and its played out on the other side of the planet the same evening. MP3 sales are taking hold (see beatport.com for example).

Sure, vinyl isnt gone -- far from it, its still the default medium there -- but if even that scene can end up being won over by cdjs what chance does psy have. Even when i first came to psy it seemed like cdjs were the norm - there was/is no/very little infrastructure set up for vinyl - so I really cant see this changing in psytrance.

I think the artists should be pleased, personally.

1. The piracy argument is completely invalid. mp3 rips of vinyl releases are on p2p the same day as the promos go out (or before), so the dishonest will still "soulseek, burn, play out" whether the legit release is vinyl format or digital.

2. Vinyl encourages a "1 tune" or "2 tune" culture. Many of my favourite dnb artists have still never released an album - just an endless stream of one-off singles... which are completely useless to anyone without decks. At least in psytrance with cds dominant, the tendency is towards artist albums and full-length compilations, which (hopefully) have a bit more substance to them than a single, whcih tends to be inherently disposable.

3. Artists get better financial reward from non-vinyl formats. First, obviously, vinyl is expensive to produce (as has already been noted). But it goes way beyond this - vinyl is big, and its heavy - which adds costs to storage and distribution at every single stage of the process. Think about it - a 12" is 5 or 6 quid, for 2 tunes. How much of that money goes toward simply shipping the heavy buggers to the shop?

And I wont even get started on the "vinyl sounds better" brigade. When the average club/party setup isnt made up of 15 year old needles, a mixer thats had 20 pints of beer spilt into it, wiring between the mixer and the amps being mostly solder, jam and string, a knackered amp (running in mono) being pushed well beyond its limits, and some battered cabs with dodgy tweeters -- then we can meaningfully start debating the "audiophile" merits of vinyl vs cd vs mp3.

i can't remember the last time i bought a cd... it's vinyl all the way for me! nothing beats a good chunky slab of black wax... ohhhhhhhh :wub:

To Veda: Indeed I am a woman. I will PM you after Glade and we can swap some mixes and chat.

To whoever said it is expensive. - I'm happy to pay the price for good vinyl....good tunes are treasures and I treat them as such

Soliptic? - You rock....(okay you don't rock then.......:P)

Colin x Re: Needles - I have extremely good concorde Ortofon needles and an Allen & Heath Xone 92 and I don't notice any difference in the sound at all - except that vinyl sounds fatter and funkier to me and CD's sound tinnier.....

Wanna cut some cheap vinyl?

Try this....

http://www.gzcd.com/en/index2.html

I have been reliably informed by a DNB producer that this company is high quality at excellent prices.....they do everything!

Vinyl is not dead. It will never die.......(at least not while I live...:p)

x

i find that alot of psy DJs who use vinyl are limited as to what they can play, ever noticed that they ALL have at least 3 TIPs in their, always the Space Cat vs. Alien Project album...
its the digital revolution dude, trance is coming out so fast it can only really exist in the digital realm really. by the time you've found the vinyl of that tune you really wanted to play theres already been four albums by that artist.
digital music needs the digital sound of CD decks i reckons...
i hope it doesnt die and i think for some genres its essential... but its always gonna struggle as the psy scene evolves...

well at least i didnt say its not as good as it used to be :Grin:

i am confused why you say i "rock" given that your post says vinyl does sound better and it isnt too expensive, whereas my post says it doesnt sound better and it is too expensive :p

seems like "you suck" would be more appropriate!

but hey, best not argue eh :Wink3:

strangely enough i do actually have one psy 12". its hallucinogen/gms remixes "a: gamma goblins remix / b: younger brother finger remix". willing to sell it to any vinyl-using psyforumer who would get more use than I do out of it (which is none) -- unless of course its incredibly rare, in which case screw the lot of ya, I'll ebay it :Grin:

Veda

I too love the twisted night time sounds, unfortunately, the majority of the stuff is being released by the smaller labels (ours included) and it is not economically viable to cut vinyl versions, as we have a limited budget. I used to play exclusively vinyl up until about 2002, but had to switch as the music I wanted to play was not available in this format. Btw, I have lots of spare Psy vinyl for sale, mainly old stuff. I should try and get a list done one day. Lots of rare stuff and promo stuff.

Take care :Smile3: :Grin:

I think there's a certain degree of subjectivity going on here. Scientifically speaking, CD gives a 'cleaner' representation of the original waveform than vinyl - it's simply inherent in the method of manufacturing. Also inherent in the format is that even the most technically advanced vinyl turntable will introduce a certain amount of 50Hz hum (or 60Hz, if you're American) and this will create a certain amount of harmonic distortion in the output stage.

This harmonic distortion is what makes it sound subjectively "warmer" to our ears - it's also the reason that guitarists will spend a fortune on old valve amps, despite them being inherently less reliable and versatile than their solid-state cousins. However it's actually a form of signal degradation rather than purity - as to whether it sounds subjectively 'better' is neither here nor there.

As has been said before though, the primary reson is one of cost. Vinyl simply isn't a cost-effective way of distributing music any more, and it's only the bigger labels like TiP.World who can do it these days, because they sell enough CDs to recoup their losses on the vinyl releases. Of course, another reason, specific to the old Goa scene was that at the Goa parties, it was apparently simply too hot to use vinyl - the records would literally melt to the platter - which was an apparent shock to Sven Väth when he went to Goa, according to a story doing the rounds.

J.

CD's rock but I miss scratching, there again scratching and psy don't mix that well anyway. Lugging around a huge bag of vinyl is a pain in the ass too....When I used to play D&B I'd get dubplates cut occasionally. You could do with psy but in the end it's a waste of money (£30 a dubplate) when you could be playing straight from CD...

Well thanks to all for your replys i really like to see difrernts opinions about this and this thread shows us a lot of things.

Well i think that the opinion that the vinyl its expensive thats just an excuse, it's heavy? why do you think like this? For me that's stupid way of thinking i'm woman and I am very proud to carry this weight , If here are two ladies that them does not import to carry this weight because why the others if?

The format of vinyl you can do too many things that with a cd never managed to do it

First when you touch with vinyls your can palpate the music that is to say touch it with your own hands can play with to scratch if desire it.

On the other hand with a cd player these limited to touch buttons nothing but

The format of vinyl is unlimited the people that produces they have carried out it so many things that you fail to imagine you

1 to vinyl there are loops you can make a lot of
things with this.

2 to vinyl could star by the end and ends at the begining and this functions since any type of turntables.

3 at the vinyl let to see the track you see the breaks and every that You want to see.

4 you can play with 3,4,5 vinyls at the same time!

5 to vinyl it' s art you can make then with diferents colours & sizes.

6 the vinyl sound its warm that makes you to hear the sounds like real.

7 a vinyl never remained hit as a cd does it that this bordered or dirty

And there is to lot of reason why the vinyl it' s for to professional dj

Full Lutos friend NAMASTE we're brothers i love your web site are you from INDIA?
Lady Lotus you're my sister now i'm reaaly proud of you thanks for your link there is so value information do you have ICQ?

THE BEST VIBES

BOOM

Back