ººº What Happend to the PSY ARTIST? ººº

Actually - Cameron makes a good point in that vinyl mastering can do strange things to your material, especially at the lower frequencies.

Stereo separation at the low end can apparently make the needle bounce out of the groove, so (and I'm only told this) - vinyl mastering partly involves making the bottom end effectively *mono*.

Now that might be OK, but I'd rather sort out what goes in mono at the bottom end myself and not have it squeezed down to mono by the mastering dude - if that makes sense.

All that is if my info is correct (correct me if I'm wrong).

miszt said:
cant get my head around that at all, but there we go lol

What utter wank.

I want my track to sound like it was meant to, and that isn't what you get from vinyl. Vinyl by its very nature will distort the signal that goes onto it. Maybe you want that, but sure as hell, as the producer, I don't. I'm sorry you can't get your head around that, but there you go.

I'm also genuinely sorry if you find that offensive, but it is the truth. There is no great conspiracy. People changed they way they mixed because they wished to.

What utter wank.

plllllease dont patronize me by being offensive and then apologising for it. good grief.

Well I could quiet easily argue the fact that infact a CD doesnt reproduce the sound either, the very fact that it is sampled means that it is not giving you a real recording of the sound, where as analog vinyl on the other hand does.

This is argument is completly pointless and completly down the personal opinion, so dont get all arsy about.

(edited: coz irrelevant:_)

I have heard ONE good arguement for the move to CD from vinyl, and that is about the guy not being able to play as loud, o also the fact CD'z are allot cheaper to produce, so 2.

Sound quality if purly academic, and therefore of no consequence, if we where Bats, then I might agree with you :Smile3:

If I mix my tune at 44100hz 16bit, (which I do on my PC, because there is precisely sod all point in doing anything else) then there is precisely bugger all difference in a CD.

Yes, alright, perhaps you are right - you are just wrong, and I'm not sorry if I offend you.

edit:

are you really saying that only a bat can hear the difference between vinyl and CD? Oh ffs.

I'm not saying that CD'z are not better quality, I'm saying we cant hear the diffrence, but ok, I'll change it, *I* cant hear the diffrence

(btw I have been in the process of switching to cdj'z over the last month or so :p )

Play nice, lads. Try and stay on-topic.

BTW, in my opinion (as someone how has had releases on both formats) I believe there is an audible difference between the sound obtainable from CD or vinyl. I also believe that (as someone with a little experience of mastering from both sides of the desk), being a digital medium, CD is inherently more controllable and as such it is possible to obtain a finished sound with the advantages of the current best practises in both vinyl and CD mastering with the right processing... I'm working on it...

i play breaks, and Dirty drum n bass. Thats still very vinyl dominated. However i do go to a few places (clubs) where CD's are taking over turntables.

BUT..i do like to have a scratch every n then, so vinyl has its place in my soul!

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about psytrance is the fact that the format of the tunes tend to cater slightly to home listening... Which means if the same releases that were on cd were on vinyl, you'd have to own a record player of some sort just to hear the music. Right there, that completely cuts down on the market in which you are selling to. Most other genres put out vinyl just for the djs and do mixed cds for home listeners.

Personally, I am really particular about the lowend of a track and I do feel that listening to stuff on vinyl can muddy the low end quite a bit. It's fine to have some warmth, but there is also clarity that gets sacrificed in that end. I started with vinyl as a d&b head and still own some psytrance on vinyl. There are far too many artists and tunes and labels for us to keep up with vinyl... Of course there are a couple of downsides to cds, one being...

Disposable music... There have been times where I'll get a new cd or two and play it a few times then forget about it once I get some new tunes (either sent to me or purchased) When you get a piece of vinyl, you tend to play it out a lot before you retire it...

I got some old vinyl that I would sell dirt cheap if anyone would want it... it's collecting dust on my shelf and I tend to get a lot of new music on cd...

Also please take into consideration that whereas we might not mind now about carrying a bunch of records all over the place, when we get a bit older that might just catch up with us. Take care of your bodies everyone, they haven't perfected cloning yet...

Back