A good 'un

Hab

Grasshopper
Here's a good 'un for you - bit involved, bit of history, but:

Have a workhorse of a Marantz amp that is getting on for six years old and has been horrifically abused - run for ten hours solid on a daily basis, left on regularly for three days at a time (oops) and now it's cutting out on a fairly regular basis.

<ahem>

So, sick to the teeth of this, I sacrificed a patch cable for my guitar amp and wired it in to the stereo output trailing from the back of our soundcard (<a-thank-yeww>) - this works a treat and I'm phenomenally pleased with myself. Now then. On playing back the 'tune' I'm working on in cubase, it goes snap crackle pop left and right, which it didn't when coming out of the amp and knackered, twenty-year old Aiwa speakers I have at my disposal. Thinking that I may just have wired it like a t**t, I ran some Blondie through it from Itunes - hey presto, pretty clean and crisp. Now, the kick I knocked out in Wavelab from a sine-wave, and the bass sound I'm using comes from VB1. The drum line (kick-kick-kick-kick) has been bounced to audio (because I'm learning and apparently this can be done, and I wanted to see it as a wave) and here comes my question:

is this the point at which I should start getting my head around whatever-tf EQ is?

Answers on a postcard will be gratefully received!

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Hab said:
is this the point at which I should start getting my head around whatever-tf EQ is?
Get your head around e.q. anyway :Grin:

THE single most important tool in the producer's arsenal!

Don't really know enough about what happened with your soundcard/amp to work out what the problem with the crackling might be however... sorry bro! :Smile3:

Could be clipping maybe? (if other tracks work fine)
But then i'm surprised that it was working before you switched cables, unless you changed something in your track when you had no speakers...

Hab

Grasshopper
BeatNik said:
Could be clipping maybe? (if other tracks work fine)
But then i'm surprised that it was working before you switched cables, unless you changed something in your track when you had no speakers...

Ahhh, I may have the reason for that <bear with me>. The wife downloaded 'Maria' by Blondie the other day, I particularly like the song and especially the bells (if you know the bit I mean). Anyway, all Itunes had was the live version, which led to a debate on how psy-trance spoils you for live music, etc and me to gripe that I'd happily sacrifice liveness for clarity of production, and anyway there aren't the bells I like on this version etc etc.

Anyway. Lo and behold! On the sh*tty little Squier amp, there they are! Those damn bells! Perhaps the speakers (which are *genuinely* 20 years old and were very boomy to start off with - not to mention a bit crap - this is a proper low-fi set-up chez Hab, but so *achingly* rock-n-roll) had fried tweeters/too much emphasis on the bass etc which an amp with a more well defined treble could pick up? Hence the frequencies existed all along? Is this clipping?