A way to bullying them into changing the electoral / party system

sqoo

˙˙˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ǝlʞɔıʇ ɹɯ
Reaction score
I came up with this with a friend:

There has been a lot of talk about setting up a 'none of the above' party in order to register dissent without being brushed asside as either apathetic (not voting) / a looney (voting for monster raving or other such party) / spoilled ballot (ie not putting a X or writing none etc etc). This had spread to the national media, and is gathering popularity as an idea.

Basically taking this one step further could bring down our electoral system, this is how:

When standing for the 'none of the above party' you pledge that if returned as an MP to resign 1-2 weeks after taking office (giving plenty of time to say stuff about why you have ended up being elected), thus causing a by-election. This could cause a perpetual round of by-elections, and even a perpetually hung parliament if really lucky. The only way to fix the situation would be to either sort out the parties (currently unlikely) or reform the system through PR to allow a wider choice nationwide (just as unlikely). If neither is done it will be election time forever!

Of course this depends upon getting at least one 'none of the above' elected in the first place, but I don't think that would be too hard with carefull explanation.

Whaddyathink???

badger

mustelid member
Reaction score
Hmmm! it has potential, so a bit like conscientiously objecting to voting?! If it would work, I would be up for that. would they not do something silly like draw straws to decide? I don't know, not well up on the system. How do you get those autonomous zones? is it like that? because imagine how much u save if the people doing the jobs don't have anyone telling them what to do. People get power by responsibility, instead of the glorified box-ticking-exercise it is. More 'brainstorming' please :@)
p.s sorry darkside here - what if they don't declare a general election? they want to bring in this bill (legislation & reform bill) where ministers can change the law without bringing it before parliament :@)

D

dave arc-i

i suggested a "can vote, wont vote" plan to barclay - SURELY there must be a minimum percentage of the elctorate that are required to validate the election- the thinking i have is to skew it in our favour - everyone registers to vote then doesnt or spoils the ballot - actually would greatly lessen the final % of the vote compared to % of the electorate

any polictical science graduates on the board?

Lyra

tranquila querida
Reaction score
i cant even vote me.... humhum.. when i get back from travelling i might look into that.

sqoo

˙˙˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ǝlʞɔıʇ ɹɯ
Reaction score
Think not voting just gets dismissed as apathy, however hard you try to tell the media otherwise! Thats why there is a need to vote for 'something' hence a 'none of the above' party.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
dave arc-i said:
i suggested a "can vote, wont vote" plan to barclay - SURELY there must be a minimum percentage of the elctorate that are required to validate the election- the thinking i have is to skew it in our favour - everyone registers to vote then doesnt or spoils the ballot - actually would greatly lessen the final % of the vote compared to % of the electorate

any polictical science graduates on the board?

The problem is that in some areas less than 32% (for local elections) of the voters have turned out and the elections are still seen as perfectly valid. How low would you have to get the turnout to be to invalidate it? Meanwhile, those still voting will be returning the main political parties to power each time and further confirming those parties unwillingness to make any change to a system which perpetuates their hold on power.

Getting all those who "Can vote, won't vote!" to register their unwillingness to vote together and to then present their names and addresses (hopefully outnumbering the number of 'actual' voters in an area) en masse, would possibly have a better effect.

sqoo

˙˙˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ǝlʞɔıʇ ɹɯ
Reaction score
Yup, that why the idea of having a perpetually resigning candidate would make a difference.

a) It gives eveyone who is disolusioned somewhere on the ballot to put an X

b) If enough people vote for 'none of the above' and return an MP in just one constituency, the electoral system get fucked over by having a perpetual by-election

badger

mustelid member
Reaction score
http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/

I have been trying to read up on 'the system'. I rememeber my Dad telling me about the 'first past the post' system that we have, and a party selects a candidate, pays the deposit for the candidate to stand in the election (non -refundable if u don't get enough votes) and have the name put on the ballot paper - is that right? so how do we get a 'none of the above' box put on the baallot paper - would we need lots of money? one constituency at a time. Sorry if it sounds like a silly question :@)