Abandontrance, sharesite for obsolete releases?

Taika-Kim

Junior Members
I have had an idea for a long time now about a site that would collect old obsolete (vinyl) releases for everybody to download.

I, for example would SO much like to hear the first Mindfield & Infinity Project EPs around 1991-3.

I don't think this would damage anybody's franchise since commercially these tracks are completely outdated and the pressings are long gone, too.

There's so much good stuff out there that will otherwise be LOST forever to some obscure vinyl collections as records are lost & broken little by little. In a hundred year's time, this culture & the tunes we created will be lost if we continue like this...
This music deserves to be preserved and enjoyed!

Any thoughts about this anybody? Artists? Labelpeople?

How about practically? Do you think there would be problems with the copyright owners? Most of the labels are defunct, and I don't believe the artists themselves would want to interfere with people sharing their old music?

I haven't been in touch with any labels or artists yet, but I'm planning to. I just wanted to know, if there's interest in this.
My problem of course is, that I don't have an vinyl collection and I can't do webpage design. But I could volunteer for the PR person who keeps in touch with the artists/ other copyright owners. And I could also donate server space. I think a torrent site would be the most sensible, but continuity is a problem always when people stop seeding... So in the beginning it could be just a download site, our homepage has something like 40gig quota, of which we use maybe 5% tongue.gif

This kind of system has been working for oooold computer games for many years, as long as the titles are considered obsolete, and are no more sold, the companies seem to have adopted a rather friendly approach.
Check out for example : http://www.the-underdogs.org/

Parallel discussion: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30666

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Great idea, I'd love to see it work. The thing with computer games is the whole emu scene has kick started a massive retro gaming culture and now the game publishers are suddenly realising that there is enough interest for them to repackage old games in retro compilations and make a quick buck. As a result a lot of them are a lot more protective of their ip than they were a couple of years ago. Dunno if this would happen with the trance scene, you'd like to think everyone was a little less capitalist.

I've got a shitload of old vinyl to rip and some coding skills I could donate.

auryn

Junior Members
Great idea, I'd love to see it work. The thing with computer games is the whole emu scene has kick started a massive retro gaming culture and now the game publishers are suddenly realising that there is enough interest for them to repackage old games in retro compilations and make a quick buck. As a result a lot of them are a lot more protective of their ip than they were a couple of years ago. Dunno if this would happen with the trance scene, you'd like to think everyone was a little less capitalist.

A possible solution if this happens could be to charge a small fee for the tracks (10-15 cents?), and donate that to charity. Would stop nagging about commerialism or capitalism, and would perhaps also help persuade labels to cooperate? (how can you say no if it's for a good cause?)

just a thought...