Ableton Gateing?

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to gate a sound with in Live 5. I know it has a gate plugin but I can't find any function with to gate a sound off a trigger sound or midi note. Anyone have an Idea of how to go about this? I can do it in logic by setting the trigger input of the gate to the trigger sound that is comeing through a buss but can see how this is done in Live when there's doesn't seen to be any way of getting audio from another channle assinged to the gate plugin.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well I found a cool little plugin called GMaudio triggerGate which has a little sequencer you can write atrisght in to as in Vanguards gate. It will do for now untill I find a better way.

M

makdaddy

you can also use a volume envelope on clip or draw in some automation on the ableton track dude, the way the draw tool snaps to grid with automation and envelope makes it easy peasy to program gate sequences

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
makdaddy said:
you can also use a volume envelope on clip or draw in some automation on the ableton track dude, the way the draw tool snaps to grid with automation and envelope makes it easy peasy to program gate sequences
I know but knowing how to set this kind of routeing up for other plugins such as the DXF buffer overider would be use full also. You can open this on a midi channel and side chain any audio to it. Then when you play in midi note it will over ride the audio buffer to the frequency of that note. Top plugin but can't do it in live. Live 6 would benefit highly from enabling this feature. There is talk of it so that the compressor 2 can be used for ducking so fingers crossed.

M

makdaddy

agreed that would be a very sweet feature, hopefully Ableton will make the routing a little more flexible in 6

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers johnnysideways. That covers the sidechain for comp issue now I will nedd to find a gate that works with this set up. Live own sound gate dosn't or at least I cant get it to. Unfotuneatly you can't send the audio of a track to a plugin in on a midi track which is what you would have to do to use the DFX in the way I discribed. When these plugins are opend in say logic the wrapped plugin with have a small button on it called sidechain where you would select the audio source such as bus 1 where your audio is sent to. When opend in live no such option that I can see it avalible on the plugins. This is a feature I would like to see in 6. In the mean time I will do this in logic unless I'm missing somthing and someone can fill me in.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
giorgos said:
OtiumFX Compadre works with this setup, that's what I use, try it...I have also succesfully used Kjaerhus Audio's Golden Uni-Pressor and TC Native Bundle Sidechainer.
Here you can download a video that will show you how to do it with Compadre.

http://otium.hjem.myinternet.dk/mirror/Ableton-Live_and_Compadre_Sidechain.zip

Hope it helps...
Yeah that’s side chain compression. I have no problems with that I use TC works side chain and compressor but I'm after doing the same set up for a sound gate. Using audio that is not routed to an out as the trigger to open and close a gate on audio. As you would to rhythmically chop up a vocal and so on. Any plugins out there that can accept routed audio in live as its trigger?