Ableton Live 5

I found it so easy to use, but we were only making a Live Set with it, I Just put some mastered Wavs into it...
Then did some Time Warp on them to change the bpms to match, then added some Midi files on top for some live keyboard tweakage, it was easy, but we weren't doing proper sequencer stuff with it.

What are you stuck with\what is your aim to use the program for? writing trax?, or putting them together for a Live set??

I have a manual in .pdf file at my house, sure they are available for free dl from Ableton, might be a good start point!

Thanks - yeah I've got the manual and have tried the demos (also had an unofficial *extended* evaluation copy to hand - although I'm legit on everything else).

I'm considering its usefulness for composition as well as live performance. I've been a Cubase user since version 3.0 (and I'm not talking SX), so I'm very familiar with that interface. Live just feels a bit alien - possibly because of my over-familiarity with the Cubase approach.

I know it pretty much inside out. Started doing my live sets on it.

What do you want to know?

just tinkering with the idea rather than using traktor which is starting to get tiresome.

a sound card maybe cheaper than a new deck you see

Ott^ said:
I know it pretty much inside out. Started doing my live sets on it.

What do you want to know?

Well, at the minute I'm not sure to be honest.

I'll get back to this topic when I've (a) had more time to play with Live and (b) have a *real* question.

It's nice to know there are some people on here who know the software though.

Live 5 sounds more appealing than V4 though since it has auto delay compensation. Should make working with my Powercore a bit easier with any luck...

I'd like to transfer some of the tracks I've worked on with OVNI onto Live. Preferably multi-tracked so we can mix the stuff on stage. Wonder if it's controllable via a control surface? I might consider something along those lines at some point in the near future...

The Info View Window you can bring up in the bottom left is a good start point... Hover the mouse to find out what it is for...

Colin:

Hmmm. Looks a bit cramped and small though. Although obviously hard to tell from a couple of jpegs.

I was thinking more in terms of one of the Mackies - more general purpose if you know what I mean.

The Mackie control surface is now £700. Not sure I *need* one, but it's there at the back of my mind as a possible purchase at some point.

If the Mackie hardware would interface nicely with Live though, it might help swing things...

we use ableton 4 for live sets, 95% of the tracks playing dj style (audio track 01, then 2, then back to 1 ..etc..etc..) revving up from 142 bpm thru 144, 145, 146 then 148!! thanx to double helix rmx of armageddon...bangin!!) plus loads of sweeps, fx, samples and seqs loaded as clips, the man like 23 on the synths with sweeps, drops and RPS patterns loaded on the JP8K locked with midi clock via ableton

i focking love it, we now have like 6-7 yrs of audio on th pc's and with abletons audio elasticity im planning to recycle the lot into new styles :Smile3: * canny wait to get back from hols and crack on*

im a total logic lover but i find that i write tracks that always need serious re-arranging (starting in the middle> working thru the end , writing the introi and 1st section then realising that it needs a serious shifting...doh!...logic always seems fail me with serious shifting of automation.....ableton automation stays locked solid, its the way it smoves wverything around and seeing has i plan to work with audio as the majority the hey! ...im happyD

I control mine with a M-Audio Oxygen 8, an Edirol PCR-A30 and a Behringer BCR2000.

Thats 72 rotary knobs, 38 buttons and 8 linear sliders.

Works brilliantly.

It'll be even better in V5 mainly cos of the freeze function. This'll mean I can run really complex mixes for very little system overhead.

well v.5 sounds fab.....freeze fucntion is right up my alley spesh as i run a 2ghz p4 with 1gb of ram..it can get a bit overrun easily with legacy's and zeta's

plus all d'other heavy plugs...but with serious re-use of existing audio i plan to use ableton as my main seq for the immediate future... its audio elasticness can be very....err....psyechedlic :Smile3:

dunno bout apple loops(?) but ableton allows you to pretty much drag n drop loops and BAM!! it tempo matches them :cool: perfected with a little twiddle of the warp markers

..and the crazy re-pitching and twisting of your audio!! ive never seen any other seq engine that can manipulate audio in realtime like this one..

What about the project load times?

That's one thing that makes using Cubase on stage prohibitive - the excessive load time.

I have done 90 minutes worth of live via Cubase. Just meant that Pascal had to fill in between tracks with samples and synth noodling.

Under *Live* - would you load a full set into live and open as a project, or would you open each track as a new project.

Say I wanted to pull from a pool of 50 tracks. Would I have to load all 50 into a project?

"Project" might not be the right word to use here, but hopefully you guys know what I mean.

Back