about to spend cash...

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
cam i could be completely wrong, but arent laptops alot cheaper in the ol' US of A? maybe worth investigating, see ya soon mate! :Smile3:

Skenkl

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month or so,

The company that collin suggested look really well priced, I have been shopping around and Acer seem to be the cheapest about, I was pretty interested in this model

https://sslrelay.com/s77548008.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1542ff740132ebf/shopdata/0130_Notebooks/0033_Aspire/0180_Aspire+9100/product_details.shopscript?article=0055_Aspire%2B9104WLMi%2B1GB%2B%3D28LX%3D252EA5205%3D252E048%3D29

which is priced at 1194pounds.

Then there is this one, from Nusystems

http://www.nusystems.co.uk/cat-customise.asp?a=c&g=57&b=11

This has only a 1.7 instead of a 2Gb centino inside, but will the speed difference be substantial?

I want to use the laptop to write tunes, but am in the very early stages. I also want to use it for 3D CAD work, and general, PC stuff, bit of photoshop e.t.c

As the Nusystems machine is geared towards audio, does that mean it won't cope with my other requirements as well as the acer machine?

But these setups look very good, cheers for sharing the info Collin. Any advice you computer geeks can offer would be appreciated.

:rolleyes:

andrew

open your mind
Reaction score
yes the nusystems is a fine laptop. As Colin said, beware a laptop with the firewire port at the front, dangerous for live sets, annoying for the rest of the time (if you have a firewire sound card, which i also recommend, and I've been thru 4 of em in the last year for my mobile setup)

also ask nik from error corrective who pops in here now and then - he's had the same issues as me with the front-placed firewire port...

Andrew

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Colin OOOD said:
Go for a Centrino. No question. Clock speed may be low, but the work differently to P4 chips and my Centrino 1.7GHz laptop is roughly on a par with a 2.8GHz P4. In addition, their power consumption is much lower than the P4, which means much quieter operation as there's less heat to dissipate, and battery life kicks the shit out of any P4 you care to name. Occasionally at gigs I get earth-loop problems with my soundcard, and generally cure it by unplugging the laptop from the mains. I have absolutely no fear about running the laptop off the battery for the whole set. They're also thinner and lighter than the P4.

My advice to you would be to go for at least a 2GHz Centrino. You won't regret it. I got mine from http://www.nusystems.co.uk - this is the one I have: http://www.nusystems.co.uk/buy.asp?p=0&g=57&b=11

Good luck!

Those earth-loop problems Colin, DI boxes are the way forward!

We especially hit that one every time Seb Taylor plays for us (he uses the onboard sound on his Mac) and DI boxes do the job every time.

A

Andrea

Hey peeps, didn't want to start a new thread for this so thought to post it here

what'd you suggest for a desktop, I'm looking at 600 quids about

ta

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
*If* it's for audio work Andrea:

Build it yourself!

You'll get exactly the components you want and it'll probably be a lot cheaper than a branded model.

mynameisstuart

Junior Members
Reaction score
get a mac!!!!!! you can get a 1.3ghz ibook G4 for £700 new as bit of ram and a load of cracked software and the jobs a good'ne

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't go Mac. As JP says - overpriced, and these days relatively underpowered.

Reaction score
just thought id jump in here to slate Macs...

over priced, trendy, slow...
also the audio software nightmares Mac users face whenever they decide to update to another big animal-Tiger, panther(bah!!)-are very annoying...

i use Macs at work, but id never buy one..

thats all..as you were

A

Andrea

I thought that for the prices today it's not worth it to build one yerself, but if you say so Purusha I'll look around for component's prices

thanx guys

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
The low prices from Dell and their ilk are almost always down to using cheap second-string components. If you build your own it may be a little dearer but at least you know *exactly* what you've got for the money you've spent. It also allows you to mix and match for optimum:

- Processor speed
- RAM latency
- Hard Disk speed and cache
- Motherboard features

Obviously with laptops it's a whole other ballgame, but I'd be very dubious about recommending an off-the-shelf desktop unless I was *very* sure of the manufacturer.

J.

A

Andrea

@ JP - got it

my next question is do you know a good place to buy the bits, web or shop. I'm in London

very much apreciate :Smile3:

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Websites include :

Dabs (www.dabs.com) - easily the cheapest, but it's a nightmare to get stuff replaced if it arrives broken.

Scan (www.scan.co.uk) - the place I get a lot of stuff from... bit dearer than Dabs, but they actually have a phone number you can call, which has been handy on a few occasions!

Overclockers (www.overclockers.co.uk) - This lot do the Antec Sonata cases that I'm really fond of, as well as some of the more exotic performance-enhancing gear.

J.