Access Virus Ti...

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Just 'upgraded' from virus c to virus Ti... & we have soOoo much trouble with it... fine if u use it old school style (via midi) but connect the USB & run the Virus Control plug in & we have mucho problemos... out of time, lost notes, hanging notes, lost patches... freezing, crashing, losing connection.

when it arrived it was w a BETA (!!!) OS... what??? after a year developing it & saying 'we want to make sure it's perfect before we release it...' HAHAHA... & tech support deny there is any problems with it... I really liked Access before now but they r wasting a lot of our time...

Anyone else using one & got any suggestions?

I think it's a great sounding machine... really nice new oscillators/waves etc but it's just not ready yet... so if you looking to buy... maybe wait til they sort it out 1st.

Purple-X

Fagins' Reject - Psynon Records
Just had a thought B.

Sometimes you can only connect large USB devices via the USB on the back of the poota, not thru the USB on the keyboard, if thats any help?

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
hi guys... yeah its connected directly to g5 usb socket... no keyboard/hub involved...

damn... arv: i meant to send u our remix before i went away... sorry got a bit ditstracted by the festies etc etc... pm me your mailing address and i will do it asap!!! today even... :Wink3:

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Purple-X said:
Ya little tinker!

How's the V-Station, if you've tried it yet?

not yet but SOON :irazz:

c u later alligator... fireworks on the common..!

KAPOW-FIZZ-BANG

"oooOOOoooohhhh"

(now where did i put those shrooms...)

evilwill

definitely
that is superweak. the Ti has been a synth i've wanted to get my hands on ever since i heard about it, but pretty lame if it dont work properly!

not that i was going to buy one any time soon, but thanks for the info. hope they get it sorted quick as well!

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Hey... I'm getting Ti too and I don't have any doubts about my purchase even though I know there are a f*ck of a lot of problems at the moment.

Consider this:

Access were under ridiculous pressure to release it as their pre-order customers were waiting for an long time to get it. Their belief being that it's better to release it when the hardware is working and it is useable (in the standard midi way) - The updates needed are all software/OS related and can/will be fixed in due time.

The virus Ti is a 'new' form of synthesiser as well, combining many different highly useable aspects... for there to be teething problems is absolutely normal, and I'm sure that Access want to keep their reputation and will fix these problems.

Thirdly, Access do admit there are problems... Go to the unoficial virus Ti forum and check out some of the posts there.

Fourthly, it sounds absolutely phenomenal... :Smile3:

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
nik said:
fifthly make sure that turnkey aren't selling you dodgy beta versions

hehe... am getting mine from TurnKey.

The thing is though.. they get them direct from the access factory, they were supposed to get more Ti's in today - as they have none on the shop floor/in the warehouse (well... in essence on tuesday but it's been delayed AGAIN!)... I hope this means the version they're getting in will be updated with no beta OS

Aren't you supposed to update your OS to begin with when you get the synth though?

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
BeatNik said:
Access were under ridiculous pressure to release it as their pre-order customers were waiting for an long time to get it. Their belief being that it's better to release it when the hardware is working and it is useable (in the standard midi way) - The updates needed are all software/OS related and can/will be fixed in due time.

This is true, but I still say it's bad practice to release in this way. Apple got absolutely shitcanned over the first few releases of OS X for precisely the same reason - Microsoft are notorious for doing it as well... not getting a version that did everything promised until the third release.

I'm guessing that some of their boffins must know what's going on...

In a sane world we release products when they're ready (which used to mean pretty much bulletproof) - It'd be such a shame for audio folk to go the same way as software

J.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
JPsychodelicacy said:
In a sane world we release products when they're ready (which used to mean pretty much bulletproof) - It'd be such a shame for audio folk to go the same way as software

Agreed 100%...
I'm sure though that Access must have seriously fretted about the situation, i think it must have come down eventually to damage limitation. Whichever way would please the most people...

Continuing on previous topic - TurnKey is the U.K. dealer, so are responsible for u.k. distribution over all Access products... what they get is the newest shizzo then!

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Put yourself in Access' shoes. Reduced income since the TI was announced (a couple of years or something now?) and the chance to start getting income once the hardware was stable enough to ship.

Not ideal, but so long as there are no hardware glitches - it's a good bet I'd say.

*Might* even be tempted myself one day...

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Purusha said:
*Might* even be tempted myself one day...

Once the software's completely stable I think I'll find it hard to resist. I love knobs and the sounds on the demo video sounded proper phat :iyes:

JPsychodelicacy said:
In a sane world we release products when they're ready

:irofl::irofl::irofl::irofl::irofl:
Sorry. 17 years of programming makes me a bit cynical about that
:ifrown:

realisation

Junior Members
i had a go at the virus TI at the sound control tour and i reckon its OK, it didn't really make the hair stand up on the back of neck any more than the virus b did.

if i had 1200 or whatever it costs i would keep my wad firmly in my pocket.. bugs or no bugs.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
I'd have to give one a go first before shelling out that much money. I do also wonder if the Nord G2 might be a better bet as a sound source.

If TC come through with an *unplugged* version of the firewire Powercore though (like they have with the MK2 PCI), that's the next purchase I reckon. I'd like to use more Powercore modules, but quickly run out with the one unit.

Other things that are tugging at my wallet: Line 6 Variax guitar & related effects. Ableton Live. A few other VSTis, but none desperate (FM7, IMPOscar, Z3ta+).

Am currently happy with the current suite of hardware and software though. When I'm flush, maybe the extra powercore will be the way forward...

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
The sound itself is a matter of taste... personally when trying out the Ti i felt it had the possibilities to create exactly the sounds that are in my head :Smile3:...

The powecore is incredible, have the PCI mark 1, and the effects are just superb. There's a huge satisfying sense of freedom when using an incredible reverb as an insert wherever and whenever without CPU strain!