Adding Excitement

realisation

Junior Members
Reaction score
Has anyone got any tips/techniques for adding excitement full-on psy-trance style, I can hear in the music whats going on, but actually doing it is a different matter!

I'm not talking about excitement in terms of harmonic additives :irofl:

Techniques for turning the volume off and on quickly, how do you do it?

Take the entire track, sample it, cut it up and mess with it that way?
is it samples of reverberated sounds i'm hearing rather than live fx, or is it more than that, automation of a reverb being turned off and on?

I'm using ableton live so i suppose i could create clips of turning these fx off and on quickly, but just want to check i'm not going down the wrong route.:iredface:

realisation

Junior Members
Reaction score
hmm. thanks! :Smile3: Its been about 6 years since i've wrote psy-trance and getting back into it has been difficult - a lot has changed. I'm off to experiment..

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
realisation said:
Techniques for turning the volume off and on quickly, how do you do it?

Gating... (or automation, or sample cutting)

realisation said:
Take the entire track, sample it, cut it up and mess with it that way?

Why not? if it sounds good it's the right way

realisation said:
is it samples of reverberated sounds i'm hearing rather than live fx, or is it more than that, automation of a reverb being turned off and on?

It could be some form of delay... or just that :Smile3:

Experiment and learn...
Playing = Knowledge

M

makdaddy

. .if your using ableton you can cut the gated pattern as a volume envelope, just zoom into the part you want to gate until the grid is at 16 / 32 whatever, set the envelope to volume, turn off draw mode and you can simply cut sections of the volume out to a custom pattern.

u get me ?

(jack)

Reaction score
I think what you should do is stick the mda shepard plug (on source+ tone mode) in over a rising pitch modulated saw wave and then cut the music for the last beat every 16 bars.

Dreadfully boring sound, mind.

djdgaf

Bass Heavy
Reaction score
A technique in Reason for turning the volume on and off would be to sample the whole track, pop it into a sampler, and then send an LFO's cv to the mixers vol control cv. Pull down the vol turn up the CV amount on the back and there she blows.

Automate the LFO speed/type to make some lovely effects.

I love Reason. You could go overboard and rack up loads of samplers all with the above wiring, but each with different LFO types/spped and volume, panning, fx etc etc etc. It may take a month to get right though!

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
An alternative is to put it through a reverb and use the reverb's gate (triggered with a Matrix) to chip it up. Did this on Neptune Driver.

djdgaf

Bass Heavy
Reaction score
icon1.gif
Re: Adding Excitement
An alternative is to put it through a reverb and use the reverb's gate (triggered with a Matrix) to chip it up. Did this on Neptune Driver.

Mmmm, the possibilities! That sounds nice.