advice for frequency layering leads squelches atmos

kalon Apr 16, 2018

1. kalon

kalon Forum Member

Threads:
    Alright folks
    still in a learning curve at the moment and am trying to understand abit more about frequencies and how to layer sounds with out mud'ing the mix or phasing out sounds
    I'm kinda understanding about writing a track in certain chords for example iv been writing a recent track in what i gather is G phrygian using between C-A 2 for my kick with a G1 baseline as basic kBBB ( minimal eq just high cut roughly 600hz low cut 36db useing q just to trim the sub abit and large sweeping dips for any resonant freqs no sharp notchs) , id write the rest of the track from the notes within that scale for the rest of my sounds trying to make each sound fit certain parts of the eq,,
    for example again 3 lead sounds 1 written in A* low cut about 9000hz 1 written in G say with high cutting 9000hz low cutting 1000hz and third lead or sound on E between 1000hz to 120hz (just as a basic kind of reference) i hope i make sense anyway is this the right kind of practice or am i being to surgical with the eq,, i just feel as soon as i try to layer even 2 different sounds things get muddy and intangible from each other

sorry for the uneducated ramblings but i do feel I'm missing some thing here :Smile3:

if anyone knew any decent online sources of reading about that topic and fancied sharing that would be grand- iv used search bars an google but theres a lot of irrelevant information coming up so far [​IMG]

this is my recent attempt if there are any areas that feel empty or out of flow would be greatly appreciated if anyone fancys letting me know

thanks all
    have a great week

2. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    I think you get a sense for which synths will do certain jobs. For instance I could layer my novation x station a few times in the upper mids as it doesn’t protrude too much. But i wouldn’t use it for bass much.

For example if I want a lowish pad that will sit above the bass but give my track body I will use a prophet v.

I would recommend limiting yourself to 5-10 synths and really getting a sense of what synth world best for whichever part of the spectrum.

You could easily say that actually that’s a load of balls and that you could do everything with one synth like massive or serum. While that’s true to a certain extent I think that the combination of different synths can give a bit of synergy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. kalon

kalon Forum Member

Threads:
    thanks man I'm starting to get that feeling..

I'm mainly just using sylenth serum and predator at the minute just trying to crack them
    i defiantly find it easier too achieve certain sounds out of each synth i think running with what your saying i defiant make squelches easier on sylenth compared to serum..

tracks normally get to about 40 50 channels but i do try to use only a few synths but things soon get out of hands at time :Smile3:
    i think its just a case of continual practise things are making abit more sense gradually

4. Psyonysus

Psyonysus Forum Newbie

Threads:
    this is quite a good tutorial for that classic psy squelch sound.
    as nab said, try and limit the synths you use and really learn them. i was using mainly sylenth, its a great synth to get your head round, very visual. But now im using serum more and more, didn't click with it at 1st, but once i got the feel of it i love it. still use sylenth alot for bass line but more on serum for leads,FX and atmos