Advice please!

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Following Colins advice to put any tracks you need help or production advice on in this section, I thought I'd stick this in here. Cold, brutal honesty is the order of the day here! I posted this up before, but I've tried to improve it, and it's also been Battery 2ified. I think my ears are still learning as I'm struggling to hear what small changes in eq and compression are doing, especially regarding the bass and kick. So if any one has any tips on how to improve my bass and kick, and get it sitting better in the mix, and also getting the leads a bit more prominent and clearer, I'd be eternaly gratefull! It's the one with the silly name smolly hokes natmab :ismile: Thanks!

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
i couldnt download it due to not having an unknown plugin. is there any other way we can hear it? i'm sure many wont have this problem.

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
I think it's something to do with quicktime, maybe you need to download the latest version or something? But thanks for trying though!

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Hi there, the tune is perfect. As far as the mix goes is very loud. I think its clipping as there are pops and clicks throughout. The mids could do with being brought down a fair bit as they are very dominant in the mix.
Nice one, Keep it up :iyes:

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Cheers for the advice jack rabbit!:ismile: Something must have caused the clicking when you downloaded it as there's nowt on my side! Honest!:ph34r: The best way to bring the mids down would to treat the individual tracks with eq, is that right? This is the kind of thing I need to get better at. I've been trying so long to get this track right that I'm thouroughly sick of it!

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
jibberer said:
The best way to bring the mids down would to treat the individual tracks with eq, is that right?

I am no expert but I would be more inclined to drop individual instument levels in the mix. Could try both ways and do an A-B test.

jibberer said:
I've been trying so long to get this track right that I'm thouroughly sick of it!

I know how you feel there, the tune I did with the iffy baseline did same to me. :iwink:

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Nice stuff... listening on headphones in an internet cae so can't reallly really comment on the production too well... but i like it structure wise alot... in particular i like the low acidy highpassed delayed sounds. very nice, bouncy stuff...
in a way though i would personally look for abit more groove in the percussion - the tamb and the offbeat hat just don't seem to me to have enough variation or direction to keep the groove groovy :Wink3:

the arpeggioish sounds take up an awful lot of space in the mix... particularly (as said before) mid wise.. could do with some e.q.ing i recon just to get the sounds to sit together like a puzzle... :Smile3:

Nice stuff though... good ideas for sure.. maybe just some small structural, and detail improvements.. but apart from that wicked :Grin:

Good luck!

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Thanks for the comments! I'll have one more bash at getting it right before I start something else. I'll try and sort the mids out and groovify the high hats. I wonder if maybe the bass is a bit loud as well?

M

makdaddy

..then if you still dont think you have it quite right, give it a rest for a couple of weeks and work on something else. Then return to it with fresh ears is always a good thing