altering tempo in cubase sx2

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
hey all
at the moment i'm arranging some tracks in a project... i'm trying to change a mixed track from 144bpm to 145bpm so as to work with another track...
after over half an hour of complex calculations i realised i should've concentrated harder in school. they didnt tell me i might need that stuff later on in life! :silly:
it started with working out how long 8 bars of 144 was and comparing that to 145 so as to subtract fractions and averages and the calculations were more than my feeble mind could handle.

anyone know a better way? i've got ableton live but its a crappy demo(so probably very limited functions) and i dont know how to use it anyway. if thats of any help:?... i'm thinking i just gotta timestretch it but surely i need some kind of equation or formula or something.
...full flight...
alex

O

Ott^

Use Ableton if you have it. I stretched a tune on my album by 3bpm with no audible artifacts.

I A-B'd every timestretch available and Ableton turned out to be the best.

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
If you really want to do it in SX (like Ott said, Ableton is very good for this sort of thing and even the demo version should be fine) it's very simple.

Right-click on the audio file in the project window (or <cntrl>-right-click if you have the old-style toolbox set up) and select Process -> Time Stretch. Enter the original and desired BPMs in the correct boxes, select 'MPX' in the Algorithm box and press Process. Bingo!

Geoff3

Direct DJ
Reaction score
I'd vouch for Ableton, we made some 140bpm tracks fit in very nicely at 145bpm, and while a few elements sounded like they were programmed a bit fast, it really didn't seem to effect the quality of the sound....

Reconstructed

Reaction score
The simplest way I have found is to set the Loop Locators to the number of measures you want in the desired BPM and then in the timestretch dialog click "Set to Locators Range"

Say you have a wav that is in 144 bpm. Set the tempo to 145 bpm and set locators to the correct amount of measures. Right click wave, go to process>time stretch and select "Set to Locators Range" It will do all the calculations for you.

Also a program called SampleCalc is really handy for conversions.