Alternatives to logic PC

nomis

bumbalumba cruiser
Reaction score
Hey dudes...

I am an incarnated logic user but i am looking for good sequencer alternatives that gives me the same (logic) overview and precision. This is because one day logic will be outdated in compatibility with 3rd party products (formats, sse3 etc.).

Have worked a lot in cubase, fruityloops before but its just not my cup of tea, too 'muddy' in their interface, though fruity is very intuitive for ideas.

I have used pro-tools alot before and am thinking of buying it for PC (M-powered), though the midi section lacks a little compared to logic.

Then the other day i read about Cakewalk Sonar 4, which looked great, cool features, but i have no experience with it and the interface looks a little 'cubase' like.

Anyone here switched from logic to another sequencer on th PC platform?
If so, please share your experience.

bom bom :Grin:

i too have never really got on with any other sequencer exept for Logic, okay maybe ableton but i would still be interested to hear if anyone has migrated over to another that they feel is up to the job.

:peace: imakx

Cubase SX2 is my current fave and I've tried them all.
Logic used to be the one, but since Steinberg decided that making Cubase work properly was a good idea, I've not looked back.
Live5 is also really uber-cool but it always does its warping trick on all audio, so the overall quality is below what you ideally need for production. IMHO

Just wondering what's wrong with the SX interface?

OK, so it may lack the configurability of Logic, but it essentially does the same thing. SONAR AFAIK does not support the VST instrument/effect standard (without a DirectX wrapper). I don't think SSE3 will make that much difference in performance, and I also don't think the VST2 standard is going to be outmoded any time soon, so if you're *really* not impressed with Cubase, just stick with Logic 5.5.1 - it seems to work fine for Posford and Ott! :Wink3:

J.

Yeah - I'd either either buy a Mac (well actually I wouldn't but it is an option) or just use Cubase.. I've never tried changing sequencer but I rekon you'd get used to it faster than you think. Who knows, once your used to it you might even decide you like it :Smile3:

Certainly SX and Logic are feature-for-feature pretty much identical these days. I think Steinbug got the idea that resting on the laurels of VST5 wasn't going to get them anywhere.

J.

Continuum said:
Live5 is also really uber-cool but it always does its warping trick on all audio.....

have you tried turning the warp off ? just a thaught...

VSt5 was the last version of cubase i used and tbh it drove me up the wall, maybe SX3 is the ticket.

im happy with my Logic / Live5 setup at the mo, but should logic 5.5 become so outdated as i have to switch then its nice to know that you guysa are vouching for it

imak said:
have you tried turning the warp off ? just a thaught...

Have you? I didn't think you could - you can play unwarped clips but its still the elastic audio engine doing it and it seems to introduce a slightly robotic tone.

Don't let me dis Live though, last week I started messing with some of me old tunes and see if I liked it. This week I've got half of a totally orgasmic live set. Blowin me away maaaate

Continuum said:
Have you?

no i havenet actually :P but surely it must play unwarped audio (straight from your Hdd - no artifacts etc..) eh?

yeah OTT is on SX3 on PC....

im on SX3, but if you want to get more up to date and arn't impressed with cubase, then youve really been thru all yer options:
pro tools is abit rock nroll...more for recording the band
sonar is kinda like SX and Acid4 had a bastard child..interesting but no VST support.
Live is great but different to the way Logic works and i find its still not quite there for solo studio work..

have you tried Traction 2....i have heard nothing but grea things about this Mackie sequencer...i know theres a free demo so give it a go...supposdly the next best thing to happen to sequencers since Live...bt i haven't tried it so its all hearsay...

x
cam

yeah SX is going really well for me now that I've got it working properly in my Creamware environment.. got a couple of chunky little trax coming along. I especially like that all the synths work properly in CubaseSX (2.2 I'm on) - the korg legacy which is a killargh synth fer instance that just didn't work properly in when hosted in Logic 5.5.1

1 thing that sx doesn't seem to have that logic did - when i drag an audio or midi part logic used to have a great little vertical marker line that showed you where the part would be if you dropped it right where you had the mouse, but sx doesn't seem to have this. makes it quicker to move stuff around accurately.. ny one got any ideas?

the other thing i'm gonna miss from logique is the esm. the most easy way to phattness in a bass synth I've found yet. For the track I've migrated over from logic to cubase i'm using bounced audio of the esmbassline from logic, unless another friendly cubase guru has a better idea (:brainsucker:Smile3:

thx in advance

Andrew

SX does have the drag/drop 'guide' line - but if you're dragging in a file it will default to creating a new MIDI/Audio track for the file you're dropping in,m and hence stick it on the bottom of the project.

V-Station/Pentagon are generally considered the daddies when it comes to bass in SX.

J.

thanks J - have played with pentagon a few times, might take a look at v-station too :Smile3:

I'll look out for that guide line too, must have missed it somehow

happy noodling people

Andrew

The guide line in SX is only on the ruler as far as I can recall, although the new version of SX3 apparently has a cross-hair cursor option that would be more what you're looking for. For another possible ESM replacement check out Tritium.

SX's Monologue is pretty good too for that ESM thang....i know what you mean about the guide line for some reason they ditched it after v5 -
but i think colins' right, i have read that Steinberg has reintroduced it into SX3 along with some other handy features from v5 such as 'dynamic events' wahey!

it is funny how alot of producers are making the move to SX is this through sheer boredom? that you cant afford the new mac? functionality? or is it the sound?
I hear that Logic has a more crisp, clean and transparent sound though i prefer SX because it sounds fuller and chunkier.
Only problem is that perhaps graphically SX is quite heavy or does it actually sound the way it looks???
tho with all said i wanna have a go on that new Logic string synth thing

well purely from my own experience in mixing music on both platforms.....this could of course be bulllsh*t but im hoping some one on here will agree!

Back