Amp?

doivey

Forum Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me a good amp to power a pair of 15 inch 500w speakers??

I am looking for the cheaper end of the price range, but maybe not that cheap!! :P

Nice one :sun:

are they 500w RMS?
how many ohms (4 or 8)?

Assuming 500w, 4 ohms and that it is RMS that is quoted, then you should look for a 2Kw amp (double the power of the speakers)...also RMS.

Again, assuming you want cheap(er) end of the market you are sorely limited!

Look for s/h C-Audio RA4001, SR/SRX 3801 or perhaps EVP3000....

Look out for a brand called Warrior (Definitive Audio)...distributed by Prolight UK, they do a XS2500 model...1250w/ch and retails around £500+vat...

I have one of those and it is a good buy for the price...Mine might be for sale later in the summer for about £400ish as it is less than a year old....

:unsure: Ooops no sorry, my technical info is limited, RMS is each speaker yes?

If so then no, it is therefore probably 250W RMS, 500 W in total.

Not sure about ohms, but you probably know what the most common is for the above. :Smile3:

Cheers Julz anyway. But if you happen to know something smaller, although i am guessing i need a 1kw amp due to doubling, any makes or models suggested?

Thanks again

Dave :sun:

If the speakers are 8ohm you really want a more powerfull amp to drive them.

I run my 550W 8 ohm monitors off a 1250W/ch amp. but could really drive them a lot harder.

Worth a look is the behringer EP2500 @ £390 inc VAT.
I've not had the chance to test one of these yet, but have been told they are very reliable. (As they should be, the amp they coppied was a good one) :Wink3:

While it may sound excessive running speakers with an amp twice (or more!) the power of the speaker, its actually far better for the speaker, than under powering it. Take a look at this Rane note 128

Also bear in mind that this size amp will happily power 2 pairs of these speakers without problems.

Regards

Steve

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Daave @ Apr 8 2004, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> :unsure: Ooops no sorry, my technical info is limited, RMS is each speaker yes?

If so then no, it is therefore probably 250W RMS, 500 W in total.

Not sure about ohms, but you probably know what the most common is for the above. :Smile3:

Cheers Julz anyway. But if you happen to know something smaller, although i am guessing i need a 1kw amp due to doubling, any makes or models suggested?

Thanks again

Dave :sun: [/quote:9af9f467b7]
RMS is a calculated figure, that equates to the maximum continues average power that the speaker can dissipate.
RMS is an acronym for Root Means Squared, its typically half the true peak power.

Why we use terms like this to rate speaker, when its far more appropriate for an electric fire is anyones guess.
RMS is however the only figure that most pro soundmen will respect.

The world of car/computer/home cinema audio uses peak figures that are usually atleast four times the RMS value. Lets see hoe long one of the peak power models lasts hooked up to a real amp :Wink3:

As for the Ohms, could be either 4 or 8. Most manufacturers would use one of these impedances. Generally the cheaper ones are 4 Ohms, this allows them to pull more power from the same sized amp, and thus, sound louder.

Julz orriginal advice still stands
Amp power should be twice the RMS power of the speaker.

Steve

Back