Another new track

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Ello, I made this over a couple of weekends. It goes from quite dark to quite fluffy, and the change might be a bit much. I made the darker start the first weekend when I was in a bit of a bad mood, and the next weekend I was luvin life, and the track ended up like this. I didn't plan it like this, it just kind of happened. It'd be lovely to hear any commennts! :ismile:

It's the one called Smoly Hokes Natmab
:ismile:

Thats frkin' beautiful. That realy works. There is an old Taoist saying "without darkness there will be no light and visaversa" something which most dark psy lacks.
My only coment is that fluffy main riff doesn't progress much. Try some filter sweeps at least. If logic synth are a bit chalanginging for that try automating this freebee www.kvraudio.com/get/572.htmle
Keep it up mate :iyes:

Thanks for listening again jackrabbit:ismile: ! Glad you like it... I'll give the fluffy bit a bit of filter automation like you suggest... I feel like I need to concentrate a bit more on little details like that to make things a bit more interesting. Cheers for the pointer to that filter... looks really cool, I'll give it a whirl!:ismile: I'll upload the next attempt in a few days!

i like this.
All of it.
Nice soundset, nice clean production.

Think i agree about the filters, i'd be inclined to try putting each filter, on a slow and gentle sweep, so the whole thing just moves about a bit more...

Second hearing sounds better than the first...

Lovely tune - keep up the good work! :Grin:

Thanks for listening whitedog! I really appreciate the tips:ismile: ! Just going to go off now and add some filter sweeps to it!

Really like the tune and the riffs but I can't clam to be a fan of the kick. It needs more low end on it and the same goes for the bass. Try boosting the kick around 50/65 ish Hz and the bass from around 75ish. You might want to try layering the kick with another one with a nice low tail end as the may give you more control

Cheers psyfi:ismile: ! I'm pretty stuck with kicks at the moment as the sampler with Logic Express 7 doesn't let you make your own instruments, so I'm stuck with the rather meagre kicks supplied by apple. Got a folder full of kicks I can't use:isad: . However plans are afoot to upgrade to pro if I manage to save some money:ismile: . I'll definetly try and give things a boost where you suggest, and thanks for the nice comments about the tune:ismile: !

you could allways import audio files of your kicks and paste them on to an audio track. Edit them to taste in soundforge or cool edit. Thats how I use to do things. Or ofcourse you could get your self a copy of Battery

Atmosphere and Synths: Top Notch - Really innovative and interesting.
Arrangement and Flow: Excellent
Bass: Not really a fan... A little too much high click noise, but a better low end
Kick: Weak.. agree with Psyfi. Boost it or use a different sample!
Hats: Maybe the running hats could be turned down a bit. They ring a bit too much for my liking.... You could try lowering the decay... I like the hat/ snare groove though!

Will send you some Israeli Psy Kicks to play with. Check your PMs...

Your tracks are getting better and better mate! :iyes:

Thanks a lot guys:ismile: ! And thanks Zen Cat! I tried using audio for the kicks, but I found it a bit too fiddly and ended up getting a bit frustrated. I'm going to spend a bit of money next pay check, about 3-400 pounds or so. I was originaly thinking of getting battery and a few other synths such as Vangaurd, but if up grade to logic pro I get a fully functioning sampler, a few more synths and effects and I can side chain as well. Think this is the right choice?:ismile: I'll try everyone's suggestions and see how it goes!

jibberer said:
Thanks a lot guys:ismile: ! And thanks Zen Cat! I tried using audio for the kicks, but I found it a bit too fiddly and ended up getting a bit frustrated. I'm going to spend a bit of money next pay check, about 3-400 pounds or so. I was originaly thinking of getting battery and a few other synths such as Vangaurd, but if up grade to logic pro I get a fully functioning sampler, a few more synths and effects and I can side chain as well. Think this is the right choice?:ismile: I'll try everyone's suggestions and see how it goes!

Haven't used Logic, so can't comment, but Battery 2 is a great sampler. I can definitely recommend it!

Zen Cat said:
Haven't used Logic, so can't comment, but Battery 2 is a great sampler. I can definitely recommend it!
Battery 1 & 2 are great. I'm useing logic 5.5 on PC and the only problem there is that Battery 2 can't be used as a multi instument but strangly Battery 1 can. :iconfused But none the less Battery is what you want for drum samps.

I've posted up my latest effort now. I've spent a lot of time trying to improve the kick and bass, so I hope it's at least a little better. Still not sitting quite right though me thinks. I added a few more filter sweeps, but couldn't really do much with the main fwuffy line as the filter wasn't doing much to it, I think because it's a triangle wave so not many harmonics, so I put some attomation on the delay effect to try and keep it a bit more interesting. Anyway, I hope it's a bit better, and I'd appreciate anymore criticism a lot! Also just ordered Battery today :ismile: :ismile: so hopefully there should be general bass/kickage improvements all round.

smolly hokes natmab :icool:

the kicks samples seems ok to me you could maybe try to tweak its equalisation the bass could sound fatter too maybe
very cool ttrack :ismile:

Back