Any CDs similar to "Wider Horizons"?

FlameBoy

Reaction score
I need some more chilled psy (have lots of more full-on stuff...) I love the "Wider Horizons" CD (http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dra/dra1cd070.html) on the Liquid Sound Design label, could anyone recommend anything similar? i.e chilled and groovy, not completely horizontal...

What's the other stuff on Liquid Sound Design (there's a list of releases at: http://www.liquidsounddesign.com/releases/releases.htm#01d) like? I've also got "Unity Dub's Voyage Into Paradise", which I think is okay, but not nearly as good as Wider Horizons.

I guess I should also check out OTT's "Blumenkraft" album...

FlameBoy

BUTTERFLY DAWN!!! on lsd too - great dub. simply breathtaking. one or two originals that were remixed on wider horizons and the rest are amazing. possibly the best psy-dub ever imo,

the new banco de gaia (you are here) is different but good, some great tunes on there and loads of different styles.

what else, er...shulman - in search of a meaningful moment is practically essentail

Zion - Epic is a quality album, some wonderful chill to start and a couple of thumpers for the end

Reuna on exogenic records are, er well, as weird as everything else on exogenic. but also belter.

I really like Entheogenic too. Spontaneous Illumination is great if you can get past the McKenna samples.

and on....

and ....

I guess I should also check out OTT's "Blumenkraft" album...

yea why not. some people say it's alright i guess :lol:

good luck!

fractalated said:
BUTTERFLY DAWN!!! on lsd too - great dub. simply breathtaking. one or two originals that were remixed on wider horizons and the rest are amazing. possibly the best psy-dub ever imo,

Total Agreement Butterfly Dawn is absolutely amazing, my fav CD to unwind, turn it on, shut your eyes and see the visions!!

Yep

'Abakus - That much closer to the sun', its on LSD again & its the nuts !!

All verrry nice sparkly electronic chill !!! :Smile3:

If you like Wider Horizons you will love it !!

Oh & Butterfly Dawn is also the nuts ...... get that too !

Okay, so far I've ordered two CDs direct from LSD, based on various peoples suggestions on and off forum: 'Butterfly Dawn' and Youth's 'Secret Language of Ordinary Objects'.

I will also check out some of the other suggestions, especially Aes Dana 'Memory Shell' (thanks canyouhearthegoblins), Shulman 'in search of a meaningful moment' and 'Blumenkraft' by some guy called Ott :Wink3:

FlameBoy

Butterfly Dawn is an excellent choice...my favourite LSD comp.

Also stuff from Aes Dana is great but quite different to the style of Wider Horizons, not dubby but dreamy music

You can check out the new cd by Kukan Dub Lagan "Life is Nice" for some nice psy-dub-melodic chill/downbeat music..new style not resemble other chill releases

Things have been a biut quiet with LSD but after the new years we've got some more bits and pieces on the way.

New artist albums coming from
Tripswitch,
Abacus,
Youth,
Suns Of Arqa Remixes,

and a compilation coming from LSD in January with some awesome new stuff on it. Still in the pipe line another Orb album around the summer featuring Youth, Jimmy Cauty and Dr Alex Patterson.

Should be able to update you more before Christmas...

Dragonflies.

Just got Namaskar on Indica records, not in the same league as Butterfly dawn, but still pretty damn cool!! :Wink3:

gurkin said:
Things have been a biut quiet with LSD but after the new years we've got some more bits and pieces on the way.

Tripswitch,
Abacus,
Youth,
Suns Of Arqa Remixes,

and a compilation coming from LSD in January with some awesome new stuff on it. Still in the pipe line another Orb album around the summer featuring Youth, Jimmy Cauty and Dr Alex Patterson.

Dragonflies.

ooo,ooo what about a nada album? purleeze? :Smile3:

it may be too far out for you, but i love Grey Area's album Absolute. i'm not sure what it is about their music, but i find it extremely trippy. :?

fractalated said:
gurkin said:

Tripswitch,
Abacus,
Youth,
Suns Of Arqa Remixes,

Dragonflies.

ooo,ooo what about a nada album? purleeze? :Smile3:

Nada is Humphrey (LSD) and Abacus together. Unfortunately they haven't been working on much recently but....
Humphrey will be compiling the next LSD album and the Abacus album is hopefully on it's way.

We'll let you know when to expect things turning up on the shelves.

I'm not a massive chill fan ..... Well, that is to say that I dont religiously by up everything in the genre ........

But I will say that LSD is one of my favorite lables ever and have consistently been releasing fantastic music for years .... Listen at home - In the Car - In a chill out space .... !! I love it ! My Mum has even commented on Butterfly Dawn - she likes it too ......

Thanks LSD ! Cant wait to hear the new albums in the new year ! I have a feeling I will be getting very well acqainted with them !

LSD are pretty much set the standard when it comes to ethno-dubby-chill type stuff - though must admit I've bene a bit under impressed by Youths recent outings - but Abakus has more than made up for it - my fave LSD Cds are

*Liquid Dub - which was pretty much standard issue in chillout rooms a few years ago, in fact at Boom200 you could tell when a new chill DJ came on as they always played the first track off this CD!
*East of the River Ganges -a mad mix of dub and indian sample & tunes - top stuff
*Mana Medicine - good compilation and think the first time I heard Otts stuff - (Escape from Tulse Hell)
*Unity Dubs mix - have to say that cos he's a mate & lives round the corner from me... still think its a good CD though a little different to other LSD stuff
*Butterfly Dawn - one of my fave CDs ever and has that amazing Nada track that I (& and everyone else) have played in pretty much every chillout set I 've done since it came out
*Abakus - what an album - brilliant!

If you like LSDs stuff - you might want to look at Interchill's back catalogue - I especially like Talisman & on more dubby but still spacey angle - the Dubmisson back catalogue is really good though quite difficult to get these days.

I could go on for ages - but will stop here!

alex candy said:
Butterfly Dawn is an excellent choice...my favourite LSD comp.

Also stuff from Aes Dana is great but quite different to the style of Wider Horizons, not dubby but dreamy music

You can check out the new cd by Kukan Dub Lagan "Life is Nice" for some nice psy-dub-melodic chill/downbeat music..new style not resemble other chill releases

The downbeat that Alex releases on Candyflip have put down foundations and taken up residence in my cd wallet.
Last week I bought a copy of floating point II on Iboga, and it only cost me £5 from saikosounds. Was expecting a bunch of filler chill tunes, and my what a lovely surprise I had when this one went in my cd player..........it's still there.

Flameboy, I suggest you take a flick through my wallet next time I am playing at Baraka. :tongue1:

brij said:
Flameboy, I suggest you take a flick through my wallet next time I am playing at Baraka. :tongue1:

Yus please! :Grin:

Are you going to be at Baraka this weekend BTW?

FB

The Phonographist said:
Your welcome to go through mine if you want Paul. (Though Brij and I do have a lot of the same CDs!) :Grin:

Cheers Jon! Will take you up on that at an appropriate time...

FB

Back