any songs in C? arrrgh!

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
does anyone know (or have successfuly written) any tracks which have been written in C?
havin some real problems with the bassline in a track at the moment, goddamnit why did i have to write the fucker in C!
its not unusual for me to spend many, many hours trying to crack the production on a specific thing, but this is just getting ridiculous. when i get something about it right, something else goes wrong, and on and on... when i pitch it down just a tone to B flat it just sounds so sexy, but havin the bassline in C just hasnt got the oomph needed for a quality bass...
or has it?
would love another track to listen to for help/inspiration...
 

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Assumed you ment Major alex lol kk, well actually I love Minor 5ths aswell, espcially for fat euphorik breakdownz :wub: and funky stuttering chords
 

trancetheory

♥♪♫
incase anyonez reading thinking wtf is Minor/Major 5th (know as a Diminished Interval), you shift the 5th note in the scale down a semi-tone :iyes: same for 7th, excpet (suprise suprise!) the 7th note, so C minor 5th would become ... C D Eb F F# Ab Bb C

yay for muzik theory :Grin: (apologies if thatz not entirly correct....I did do this bout 10 years ago lol)
 

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
hey guys...
first off, i was talking more about EQing... luckily, speaking to el gringo Tron made me realise that i wasnt alone in the struggle to EQ a bass well in C... the notes are fine, but try getting the EQ rite... ouch!
secondly, none of it really matters now anyway cause i pitched the whole tune down to B-flat... problem over. after 15 hours working on a single bassline, you gotta know when to call it a day :P
moral: dont write a choon in C unless you're very patient and have alot of spare time :Smile3:
 

trancetheory

♥♪♫
:irofl: after all that :irazz:


hmm whats the problem with EQing in C minor? have to admit I dont think I've ever used it myself for dance musik....Tron culdnt come up with any solutions for ya?
 

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
Fromem_Ory said:
hey guys...
first off, i was talking more about EQing... luckily, speaking to el gringo Tron made me realise that i wasnt alone in the struggle to EQ a bass well in C... the notes are fine, but try getting the EQ rite... ouch!
secondly, none of it really matters now anyway cause i pitched the whole tune down to B-flat... problem over. after 15 hours working on a single bassline, you gotta know when to call it a day :P
moral: dont write a choon in C unless you're very patient and have alot of spare time :Smile3:

Out of interest what is the typical key of psy-trance? Are tunes really written in Bb? Not that it really matters i suppose, I've always assumed its either Am or Cm and never tried to find out.

Cm is still my favourite though :Wink3:
 

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
i usually write in either G or A. F is also a winner. B-flat seems to have this special bass frequency which is very very warm. 'Spectral Monkey' by Rinkadink and Spencer is a good example of a B-flat tune.
 

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
absorbentgnome said:
Out of interest what is the typical key of psy-trance? Are tunes really written in Bb? Not that it really matters i suppose, I've always assumed its either Am or Cm and never tried to find out.

Cm is still my favourite though :Wink3:

A disturbing number of them are in E - makes it easier to put the killaa guitarzz in then... :rocker: :ibiggrin:

J.
 

trancetheory

♥♪♫
D & A Minor are probably my favorite, although I dont write psy really anywayz, so I'll shut up :irolleyes great for euphorik tho :runsmile:

actually was talking bollox before, I use C minor quiet a bit, my latest dnb choon is C minor, although the bass is giving me probs...might try droping it Bflat aswell...thanx for the tip dude!
 

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
JPsychodelicacy said:
A disturbing number of them are in E - makes it easier to put the killaa guitarzz in then... :rocker: :ibiggrin:

J.

Ha ha! I never used to enjoy guitars that much (dunno why, rubbish taste perhaps? :ilol: ) but they're phat in psy-trance.
 

nik

Member
the choice of key really depends on the chice of bass synth. some sound good at certain pitches others sound not so good.
the two final tracks on the wild rumpus comp are written in Cminor. :Smile3:
out of interest does anyone know a psy trance track written in a major key? how gay would that be?
 

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Here's where I demonstrate how clueless I am about musical notation, scales and chords. Bear in mind that I play bass, guitar and drums and have never learned to read notes, so I play by ear. I can pull of tasty solos on the guitar, play Red Hot Chili Peppers basslines note perfect and learn how to play a new track in about three listens, but I'd be perplexed if you asked me what notes I'm playing! Sure, i know which strings are E, A, D, G and where those notes are repeated on the fretboard, but this thread is confusing me!

So:

What is the difference between a track in E and a track in A? What I mean is, assuming that you're drawing the notes in yourself, does it matter what key the track is in? Sure, A and E are different notes, but the way you guys are talking makes it sound like A and E have different fundamental emotional characters....

Yes, obviously they do, because they're different notes, but... :iconfused

What am I trying to say here....

Hmmm...

Basically, when I decide what key I want to use for a track, just pick one I haven't used before. I hadn't ever though that notes/ keys/ chords had that much individual character!

Can someone explain this, or I am just not making any sense? :irolleyes
 

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
miszt said:
D & A Minor are probably my favorite, although I dont write psy really anywayz, so I'll shut up :irolleyes great for euphorik tho :runsmile:

actually was talking bollox before, I use C minor quiet a bit, my latest dnb choon is C minor, although the bass is giving me probs...might try droping it Bflat aswell...thanx for the tip dude!

I love euphoric and musically interesting sounds :iyes: Staying in the same bloody key all the time tends to bore me. When djs mix it up with a mixture of the two it's good, but if they play constantly the same technical style I just wanna poke em in the eyes hehehehehe
 

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
Zen Cat said:
Here's where I demonstrate how clueless I am about musical notation, scales and chords. Bear in mind that I play bass, guitar and drums and have never learned to read notes, so I play by ear. I can pull of tasty solos on the guitar, play Red Hot Chili Peppers basslines note perfect and learn how to play a new track in about three listens, but I'd be perplexed if you asked me what notes I'm playing! Sure, i know which strings are E, A, D, G and where those notes are repeated on the fretboard, but this thread is confusing me!

So:

What is the difference between a track in E and a track in A? What I mean is, assuming that you're drawing the notes in yourself, does it matter what key the track is in? Sure, A and E are different notes, but the way you guys are talking makes it sound like A and E have different fundamental emotional characters....

Yes, obviously they do, because they're different notes, but... :iconfused

What am I trying to say here....

Hmmm...

Basically, when I decide what key I want to use for a track, just pick one I haven't used before. I hadn't ever though that notes/ keys/ chords had that much individual character!

Can someone explain this, or I am just not making any sense? :irolleyes

I play be ear as well - and you have a good point after all the notes and keys are completely relative. It's just a matter of choice and comfort.

I assume that Bb sounds good in a bassline because it sits either in a natural frequency band of tasty resonance or gain used by a particular person's setup or has harmonics closer to the average resonant frequency of most speakers. That's just off the top of my head though. [you may have guessed i'm an engineer (the boring fuckers!) :irazz: ]

nik said:
the choice of key really depends on the chice of bass synth. some sound good at certain pitches others sound not so good.
the two final tracks on the wild rumpus comp are written in Cminor. :Smile3:
out of interest does anyone know a psy trance track written in a major key? how gay would that be?

:irofl: That would be incredibly gay. Oh, Bertie!
 

Gibbonflux

Boom Boom Boom
Hey Alex

You might as well pitch the whole track down if it sounds better that way.

Bear in mind this might have something to do with your room acoustics though. There are certain keys which always sound better (read: more bassy!) in my studio because the root note coincides with a low frequency resonance of the room...and I quite often find that I subconciously end up writing many of my tunes in those keys. Worth bearing in mind anyway.

Dom
 

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
Getting back to valves this looks interesting

http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/download/blue-tubes-2

Looks like getting the valve sound from standard plugins was a tad more difficult than expected - until this - I'd love to see exactly how it was done and modelled.

I still reckon that it must be possible to get a very similar sound using standard plugins - a good challenge for someone who can compare. Many plugins support soft clipping etc that is characteristic of electronic valves.
 
Top