any songs in C? arrrgh!

I've been thinking about all this stuff to do with scales for a long time, as I find it really interesting (and have had several arguments with my dad on the subject, who is one of these classical musicians stuck in a mindset)

The equal tempered scale is "superior" in the respect that it allows you to play in any key, and the result sound acceptable. If your idea of music is that it should revolve around triads, cadences, modulations etc. then this makes perfect sense.

However, musical notes are originally derived from the natural harmonic series, and EVERY note in the equal tempered scale is out of tune with respect to natural harmonics.

For writing music such as a lot of psytrance, where the music is fixed around a root note and doesn't modulate to other keys, it would actually make more sense to write the music using notes whose frequencies are derived from the natural harmonic series. In fact, if you use a resonant filter to play a "melody" by emphasising different harmonics of a sound which is static in pitch, this is exactly what you are doing.

food for thought anyway

And a very, very fine track it is too! (one of my faves!)

Colin OOOD said:
Yes but it's gay. You seriously telling me you like gay music?

:irofl:

I think it's stunning daaahling!

Major is underrated!

Well it's precisely because it is gay that I like it:ikiss: You busy tonight?:iwink: :iyes:

jibberer said:
Well it's precisely because it is gay that I like it:ikiss: You busy tonight?:iwink: :iyes:

Ooohhh, get you! :iredface:

Unfortunately yes. I'll be sitting at home in a bright pink bathrobe writing a psytrance track in Bb major :iwink:

Seriously though, it's what you do with the notes - the intention - that makes a track 'gay'-sounding (and I think we all know what we mean by that!) rather than the fact that it's in a major key.

Back