Any VJs in here?

GoneWest

Dilettante
Reaction score
I'm looking for tips and links for free/open source HD loops? I'm trying to stay away from cheesy 3D animations i'm more into clips of nature and fractal zooms. I'm hoping to build a PC dedicated to rendering my own in the future i'm just saving up for a graphics card with loads of CUDA cores.

Here's two good ones i've found already:

http://vjloophd.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.beeple-crap.com/vjclips.php

Sorry yeah at the moment i'm just messing around making videos to songs for YouTube and as i'm new to it i thought i might as well try to get my collection in HD as a standard of quality. Do you pay for your loops or make your own?

If I was starting to collect content now, I might go for HD - but the reality is, to get the benefit, you need more powerful projectors to project a bigger area.

I haven't bought any pre-made clips but I do buy obscure DVD's to cut up. That has worked out as £30 for 20 x 3 sec clips.

There are lots of places you can 'obtain' content from, I've sampled from you-tube to pop videos to library site (editing out any dogs) it's all fair game afaic.

Making your own clips is good because your content will be different to others + you can always sell them on to make money.

But there's no reason why you can't create a good show with other peoples content. It's what DJ's do.

I think HD content for youtube promos of your skills is a good idea though. People are much more likely to appreciate that work in HD even if your gigging material is run in SD.

Maybe, However I just got a gig at S.U.N. festival based on SD you tube videos and stuff I have on Ustream which is even lower def.

Certainly working in HD is a lot more expensive. HD video mixers are pricey and rendering in HD is very processor time intensive. So yur either waitng for ages or building a render farm.

There is also the problem that not all the existing historic video material is HD - I use some smithsonian Institute footage from the turn of the century from a 1970 BBC documentary. Sourcing that in HD is going to be awkward tho given the original was taken on a and cranked camera it should be possible.

Actually I don't even use SD, all my clips are 640x480.

I use 4 foot circular screens and in some clubs even that size is a little big for the venue.

I forgot to add when I said HD allows you to go bigger - it allows you to go bigger and view the screen closer without pixelation.

Given a big projector I can project big with SD - it's just it will look shit close up. Hence why massive flat screens in the home need a HD source - they are viewed close up and look shit with an SD source at home viewing distances.

Move away from the screen so it looks the same size as an old style SD CRT screen and it looks no different with a SD source.

I don't really want to do massive overbearing video at parties - I use circular screens to get away from that 'TV' feel. I hate TV's in pubs as well.

I like to compliment the lighting and decor not turn a party into a cinema.

Anyway that's my style feel free to develop your own!

Ok thanks i get your point, i hadn't even considered getting projectors yet so i hadn't thought about the costs i'll bear that in mind. I love the idea of using circular screens!

Hex screens work well as well.

It's always better if the venue has projectors or will hire them in cause I don't think anyone has actually paid me even dry hire costs for mine let alone rigging/derigging and playing out...

Back