Anyone using dual displays with Cubase?

ichabod

Reaction score
After seeing those Apple cinema display I've been thinking of treating myself to a bigger TFT - they seem to be amazingly cheap these days! (unfortunately not the Apples :Sad: )

I'm wondering how useful it would be to keep my old one and run both displays.. does anyone here use two? If so, how easy is it to use Cubase over two displays? How does Cubase work if the displays are different resolutions? Also, do you find the gap between them makes it tricky? The reason I ask is because the new display I'm considering has a pretty wide strip around the edge.

when you have a graphics card for dual displays it will allow you to set the resolution independently (does on me lappy anyways)

and just think you can have your mixing environment on one screen and your arrange page on another....word!

ichabod said:
How does Cubase work if the displays are different resolutions? Also, do you find the gap between them makes it tricky? The reason I ask is because the new display I'm considering has a pretty wide strip around the edge.

Dont worry about the strip on the edge of your monitor! As soon as the mouse pointer leaves one screen it will appear on the other regardless of location or size of screens!

The way it works is that you minimize any 'window' - drag it onto the other screen then maximise it & leave it there!

yeah multiscreen setup is definitely the way to go, i've been running fruityloops on 2 screens for a while now :Smile3:

gap between the two screens isn't a problem cos generally you'll be using each screen to show a different window - typically i have paino roll / sequencer / plugin in one with mixer and other vsts on the other. i don't generally use both screens to have one huge window.

as for having screens at different resolutions it all works fine as far as windows goes, but you may have some fairly minor issues stretching an app over 2 screens where the vertical resolution is different - either with wasted space on the larger screen or with the app window going off screen on the smaller screen. things will also magically change size when you drag them from one side to another.

yep...all about the multi screens...im on 3 right now....

on a slightly different note, does anyone know if theres an XP utility whereby i can get two cursors on screen controlled by two mice?....dont think its poss but would make collaborations wicked....

Sounds good! no more flicking between arrange windows, mixers etc. I'm sold: have just ordered a 1600x1200 TFT :ibiggrin: . It sounds like the lower portion of the cubase window will not be visable on the old lower res monitor - shouldn't be a problem though.

The reason I though the gap could be annoying is that it could disorientate you as the mouse jumps across. Probably get used to it quickly though. I already have the mouse sensitivity on max in windows.. Is there any way of boosting this even more? (for those long distance treks across 2 screens :Smile3: )

I've tought about the two mouse idea before but am pretty sure that windows isn't designed to handle it.. there would be a million and one technical problems with doing this I think. would be sweet though!

If I hadn't bought it immediately I might end up wakeing up tomorrow and deciding I can't afford it... then where would I be? Better to get it in the bag before I have a chance to have second thoughts :Smile3:

Anyway, not entirely an impulse buy: I've just spent most of my morning sneakily researching on the internet while at work :Wink3: I found a real bargain on a damaged box one too. One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E6FTWY/202-0837815-1133435http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/5306

for £280 :iyes:

All set up now.. and every bit as sweet as anticipated :Smile3: had a few hours of irritation as I couldn't persuade my graphics card to set different resolutions for each display - I was convinced I was going to have to spring for a new graphics card too :Sad: All sorted now though... I'd just forgotten to reboot!

Using Cubase dual screen is brilliant :Smile3: My problem is now down to physical rather than windows desktop space... not enough room for my speakers anymore!

Back