Apple switching to Intel x86 CPU line beginning next year

dogcow said:
my first thought was: does this mean i'll be able to run logic 7 on my pc now?

The immediate answer is no, because the OS hooks are completely different. However, this makes a *coff* "unofficial" port merely very difficult as opposed to impossible, technically speaking.

It's also making me grin like a loon, because my theory that in a few years the OS will be the only difference between the two machines seems to be bearing out. :Grin:

I'm going to enjoy watching Apple trying to prevent clone machines now!*

J.

(* - Though to be honest, I think they're de-emphasising that part of their business these days)

Nah .. all you'd have to do is write something like Wine for MacOS ... all the code will execute. You'd just need to intercept and emulate all the Kernel calls ...

Presumably Apple then write a PowerPC emulator. So you have a MacOS emulator and run the PowerPC emulator and logic 7 WILL run on PC (windows/linux/whatever). It'll be F**KING slow though :lol:

JPsychodelicacy said:
Hard to think how they could make it worse, to be honest...

*ducks*

:Wink3:

J.

lol :Smile3:

But i just watched Steves Key point pres and he stated that osx as been runing on intel since jaguar? he sais it was singing on it and x code 2.1 creates universal bineries that worcs on power pc and intle chips...

does that mean i can run osx on a intle pc?

or windows xp on a mac? Like doube platform in the same machine? Nah.. don't think that'll be possible, althou that would be cool.

Speakafreaka said:
it'll probably mean all you poor Mac users will have to buy all your plugins and software again... :Sad:... possibly.

probably not - there's a core technology called Rosetta that will enable apps to run.

Missing-Link said:
But i just watched Steves Key point pres and he stated that osx as been runing on intel since jaguar? he sais it was singing on it and x code 2.1 creates universal bineries that worcs on power pc and intle chips...

Forgive me for taking Jobs' statements with as much of a shovelful of salt as BillG's, but I just don't trust marketing men. Darwin's been compiled for Intel since the first release of OSX, but as to whether/how well Quartz/Cocoa and everything else works, I doubt we'll get to find out until they consider it ready for primetime.

does that mean i can run osx on a intle pc?

Depends how Apple try to lock it down. If this story holds water, technically this could mean that the next generation Mac will be an Intel PC, likely with a hardware dongle that the OS will look for to prove that it's a Mac rather than a generic Intel/AMD box.

J.

more info:

After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

from here.

the way it looks to me though, it's only a question of time logic/osx will be released for non-apple machines.

If mac create a standers intel pc , then there arcitecture goes out the window,,, i though macs had logic board and mother boards and they also seem verry fond of theyr dual pracessors.

seems like mac go intel
pc go amd
ibm go xbox and playstaion

whils microsoft runs all the xbox simulations on a g4...

this is what i have been to make out from what iv read...

also mac seem to have alredy given out on loan a load of intel g5's so that developers can get redy for 06-07...

this seems it could go 2 ways ...
its ither a bad move

or they really gonna piss of microsoft...

Missing-Link said:
If mac create a standers intel pc , then there arcitecture goes out the window,,, i though macs had logic board and mother boards and they also seem verry fond of theyr dual pracessors.

Both Intel and AMD have had some very sexy multi-core chips in development for some time.

Apple's much-vaunted architecture went out of the window some time ago. For a long time they've simply been ATX PCs with a PowerPC chip rather than an x86.

J.

I reckon the cell architecture that the PS3 is going to use mioght well shake the processor market up a bit.

As far as I can work out the only reason they want to shift is that the new Pentium chips will contain inbuilt Digital Rights Management. They're porting the Mac onto Intel because they want to lock down file-sharing and video piracy, plus being able to send you time-limited media.
The most worrying thing about this is that GNU/Linux ends up as the only system which doesn't lock down "owned" files - which could cause problems for the growth of free software...

Apex said:
I reckon the cell architecture that the PS3 is going to use mioght well shake the processor market up a bit.

Well Sony's 218 GFLOPS is BS (They used the multiply-add because it is 2 "ops" in 1and then counted a SIMD op as 4. Purely theoretical and totally unachievable in the real world) ... IBM want to have a cell blade out towards the end of the year. I await the results of the Spec_FP2000 tests ...

martin_e said:
As far as I can work out the only reason they want to shift is that the new Pentium chips will contain inbuilt Digital Rights Management. They're porting the Mac onto Intel because they want to lock down file-sharing and video piracy, plus being able to send you time-limited media.
The most worrying thing about this is that GNU/Linux ends up as the only system which doesn't lock down "owned" files - which could cause problems for the growth of free software...

Intel have categorically denied putting DRM into the i945. Its an unfounded rumour according to them

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23708

I've seen suggestion its because Apple are well miffed at IBM over getting low power G5s for the Powerbook (it never happened) so they are going to go and start using Pentium-Ms so they can have a low power high speed laptop ...

</geek>

Well it's semantics really. What Intel actually said was that there were no "unannounced DRM technologies implemented":
However, the issue about DRM in Intel products is not really whether the tech is there or not. Instead, it really depends on the wording of such a claim. Intel does not deny that certain DRM technologies are supported by its hardware. "Many of Intel's products today, including those just mentioned do work with existing content protection technologies out there including DTCP-IP. In the second half of 2005, Intel will deliver an updated graphics driver that will also support additional content protection technologies including COPP, HDCP, CGMS-A, and others,".

In other words, Intel says it is not building DRM technologies right into its hardware, but rather supports existing technologies, if they are used by copyright holders.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050606195856716 is my reference ...

Thing is ... its not really a good plan for Intel. With Dell beginning to look like they'll support AMD (far more so after this apple announcement i suspect) Intel will lose market share to AMD who have said they have no plans to support hardware DRM ... Seems even more stupid than some of Intel's other stupid mistakes tbh ...

Back