athlon vs powercore

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
whats this i hear about amd dual core processors and tc powercores not working together?

is there any way around it? are there any plans for updates to either so that they wont conflict?

im trying to put together a spangly new computer for when i get my tax rebate and had the athlon 64 2x 4400+ in mind, but eventually i wanna get a powercore firewire too so obviously my plans would be a bit scuppered if theres no way around it.

cheers for that purusha, looks like it could be possible for tc to fix it, but whether they will or not is another matter! and the a8v was the mobo i was planning to get as well!

well if its one or the other i think ill still get the setup ive put together and just hope that the powercore drivers get updated at some point. i cant get one for a few months anyway cos ill be skint after buying this new pc

Double_Helix said:
and the a8v was the mobo i was planning to get as well!
Hmm - VIA chipsets have always been notoriously flaky when it comes to audio applications. Would highly recommend an nForce-based board as they seem to have much more stable drivers as a rule.

J.

The latest word is: V2.0 drivers by the end of February.

Whether or not they'll address the x2 problems is anyone's guess.

Bear in mind too that the N-Force 4 chipset is not recommended for DAW's really either yet - there seems to be a problem with the PCI bus being choked by the PCI-E bus, especially with some add-on SATA controllers. Haven't heard anything in a while to say that NF4 is now working well - the NF3 still seems to be the best AMD DAW solution out there. It's not just the NF4 either - the Intel PCI-E chipsets have similar problems.

JPsychodelicacy said:
Hmm - VIA chipsets have always been notoriously flaky when it comes to audio applications. Would highly recommend an nForce-based board as they seem to have much more stable drivers as a rule.

Always ... 4 years ago they were notoriously flaky ... not heard of any problems since then though ... as best i can tell the problem exists on some nForce 4 boards as well ... sounds more like a complete gimp doing the driver coding and forgetting about processor affinities to me ...

Well tbh i doubt it ... NF3 is now unsupported out of date tech ...

Good luck ... its never easy building a high performance system. Especially as "Pro-Audio software" has become synonymous with "Complete gimps who can't write a decent line of software" :Wink3:

To be fair, Dan and Nik Corrective have been fine on their nForce 4 setups, although I did build their machines using PATA drives rather than SATA... I thought it was more important to use a platform I knew worked without interference rather than the slight improvement in file bandwidth.

Ross : According to Purusha, apparently not.

J.

Nah - it's fine to ask... how do we expect to learn otherwise?

(my first couple of boxes were trial and error, I learned the hard way to research what I'm buying!)

J.

Theres a write -up concerning the problem for RME's site here.

I have heard that the problem may not be as bad on dual core set-ups. Really now is not the time for a major upgrade - I may wait until theres a suitable PCI-E audio card.

I've just ordered a new dualcore beastie from scan, was *thinking* about getting a powercore as I've just sold a TC fireworx and it was great (when i bothered to turn it on)

Anyone know if powercores are ok with this set up? it's non PCI-Express as from what I read this technology istn't so useful for music just yet

*Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800Pro DDR400 GBit Lan 8Ch Audio (I had an Asus board on last machine, worked great with the Creamware card I've just sold)

*AMD Athlon 64 4600+ , Socket939 , Manchester , 2.4 GHz , 1MB Cache, Retail

*2GB (2X1GB) Corsair TwinX PC3200 (400) 184 Pin Non-ECC Unbuffered CAS 2-3-3-6

*XFX REVO 64 SPU 3 Port SATA Raid Card (MUSIC)

*System Drive - 160Gb SATA300 Samsung SpinPointâ„¢ HD160JJ (7200rpm,8mb) - NCQ

*Storage - 3 of 250GB SATA300 Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C (7200rpm, 8MB) - NCQ

*Soundcard - Emu 1212

Cheers All,

Andrew

hey andrew, thats the same motherboard i was gonna get, but unfortunately thats the one most people have been having powercore issues with.
i think purusha posted something up about an update for the powercore drivers the other day which might have addressed the issue but dont know for sure

Hi Andrew,

The initial V2.0 powercore drivers don't address the x2 issues apparently.

TC say in the revision history that they're going to look into the issue for a sub-release.

A lot of discussion on the x2 issues can be found on:

http://www.powercore.noheaven.com

Along with a sticky containing system configurations that are working properly.

V2.0 is working fine for me atm (on my 2 powercore firewires), although the status reporting of existing optional plugs is a bit screwed (they still work though).

thanks guys... :Smile3:

I'm gonna have some serious fun with the new machine, with or without a powercore!!

Andrew

Back