An e-mail from the department of transport:
Due to the nature of the quality of driving in England the Department of
Transport has now devised a new scheme in order to identify poor drivers
and give good drivers the opportunity to recognise them whilst driving.
For this reason as from the middle of May 2006 those drivers who are
found to be driving badly which includes:
- overtaking in dangerous places;
- hovering within one inch of the car in front;
- stopping sharply;
- speeding in residential areas;
- pulling out without indication;
- performing U turns inappropriately in busy high streets;
- under taking on motorways and
- taking up more than one lane in multi lane roads,
These drivers will be issued with flags, white with a red cross,
signifying their inability to drive properly. These flags must be
clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and
pedestrians. Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving
skills will have to display a flag on each side of the car to indicate
their greater lack of skill and general lower intelligence mindset to
the general public.
Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can so that
drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.
Department of Transport.