bak to basiks

I don't think the prices are over inflated, well if you buy memory or HDs from the Apple store it is a rip but they make a small margin on the hardware because they just aren't making the stuff in large enough quantities to get the low prices. AFAIK Apple had only been making a profit the last few years before iPod because they had $4 billion cash in the bank which pulls in some hefty interest every year. I think apple have 1% of the computer market, imagine if that was 5% (wether they deserve it or not) the cost of hardware would come down.

When I got my P4 3.06Ghz chip it was $700 and I needed a new motherboard that was $200 then the MB stopped working and it was going to take ASUS three weeks just to look at it, so that was another $200. The new Xenon 3.2Ghz chips are $800-900 each, in those head to head tests, G5 vs PC, the PC was a dual Xenon, top of the range at the time and probably at least $800 a piece. I think if you speced it out and built a comparable PC with all the software, FW800, optical SPDIF sound card, video card, built in WiFi and DVD-R/CD-RW. I am having a hard time even finding a Dual Xenon but at Puget Custom Computers you can build your own. Check it out, a dual 2.4Ghz starts at $2,200, you want a dual 3.2Ghz with that? OK, that will be another $1700+ and that is with a crap sound card, built in video, crap CDROM. And none of this is factoring in cost of ownership, repair, resale value or that the soundcard you have may not even work with this motherboard.

Who knows maybe a mac isn't such a bad deal after all :runsmile:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eMpTy-1 @ Apr 11 2004, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> P4 3.06Ghz chip it was $700 [/quote:4d35f94032]
:no: - what are you talking about?

My P4 3.06Ghz chip cost me nowhere near that much, and I purchased it at a PC World retail outlet.

Oh shit, now I see the dollar sign, which is about £400 then.

Still hundred quid more than I paid, which was a marked up price!

Your prices are off, sorry, you look around, you'll get it cheaper.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eMpTy-1 @ Apr 12 2004, 08:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Yeah, I could buy one now for under $250! but this is now and that was then. [/quote:49ec262672]
know what you mean man, i suspect i purchased mine nearer then than now though :Wink3:

Actually, and completely seperatley, i managed to drop my PSU on my P4 chip the other day. Seems fine. :blink: I needed new pants though!

And whats all this guff about monitors? Surely if you are reading this thread you already have a monitor, and therefore it is unlikely to be an expense, unless you are looking at setting up a second computer? And I reckon the money is better spent on other things. Like a ridiculous amount of skunk, or a nice new synth, or a.......

I still reckon the second hand macs offer goodish value for money. And I'm a hardcore PC guru. :ph34r:

Back