Bass/Kick Frequency Collision

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
I'm having alot of trouble with my kick and bass at the moment. This isn't a trance related problem since I'm having a nice long break from writing trance. The answer I'm looking for is more to do with traditional music production rather than electronic because the drum sounds that I am using are all sampled from real drums and the bass is played in.
Obviously this is a very common problem and I'm sure a lot of people here could help me out.. Basicly, how should I eq my kick and bass so that neither interfere with each other when they collide?? (which is very often in the tunes I'm writing at the moment).

I'm using Cubase SX2 and mixing on the computer and the kick I'm using has a warm, soft but punchy jazz type sound (probably doesn't make much sense..)

Thanks in advance :Smile3:

Dawson

There are 2 things you can do:

Try ducking the bass from the kick using a compressor with the kick fed to the sidechain. If you've got Waves C1 you can get it to just duck the LF of the bass if you put it in "split" mode. Handy.

or...

EQ the kick to sit above the bass. As a guideline you could give the kick a peak around 100-150 Hz and gently cut the bass in this region, but of course you'll need to tune it by ear.

I sometimes find that listening to the whole mix through a low pass filter can help when trying to get the bass end sounding clean

Gibbonflux said:
I sometimes find that listening to the whole mix through a low pass filter can help when trying to get the bass end sounding clean

fffFFFFFffFFFFuuuurCK! what a good idea!

jolly good show what what

when i record live bass when doing some dub, I usually cut the kick @ 50hz and leave the bass taking care of the lower freqs. I also just give a touch in the kick at around 100hz....
but it depends of your monitors as well and how you wanna listen it....
I love big fat Basses thats why i do it this way, but it would be interesting in knowing other methods used by producers .....

Peace

i just boost the bass and the kick with low shelves. i mangage to find a kick and bassline that sit together without any cancellation or distortion.
one way to do this is to slightly adjust the pitch of the kick until it sounds nice.

Back