Buy Nothing Day

heva

mischief-maker.....
Reaction score
This is fine by me because I'm skint, a-herm, but I do think this would be a wicked venture if everyone took part....

buy_nothing_day.gif

november_27_2004.gif

Saturday November 27th 2004 is Buy Nothing Day (UK), the self proclaimed festival of frugal living and culture jammers jamboree. It's a day where you challenge yourself, your family and friends to switch off from shopping and tune into life. Celebrated as a holiday by some, a street party by others - anyone can take part provided they spend a day without spending!

The challenge is to try simple living for a day, spend time with family and friends, rather than spend money on them. People make a pact with themselves to take a break from shopping as a personal experiment or public statement and the best thing is - IT'S FREE!!!

Buy Nothing Day exposes the environmental and ethical consequences of consumerism. The developed countries - only 20% of the world population are consuming over 80% of the earth's natural resources, causing a disproportionate level of environmental damage and unfair distribution of wealth.

Theres loads more info/facts/ideas/events listings on this page ---> http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/index.html

bnd_banners2002.gif

And don't buy your ToF ticket on the door! :lol:

Hee heee!

I put poster up at work a couple of years ago about Buy Nothing Day, people were super offended saying they did not see the point and that I was being radical.

I can certainly see the point of this day! :wizard1:

Just goes to show how blinkered people are - so wrapped up in the consumer lifestyle they can't even grasp the overall statement or the economical effect of everyone not buying anything just for one day. Pah. Would be nice if people just took a moment to think about something other than themselves :sad:

Bah! I only saw this today, if I remember rightly I only did my food shopping on saturday, still could have done less... :unsure: :blink:

should've posted something about this ages ago..was anyone in the forum down in broadmead in bristol too? we spent most of the day down there with free food and tea.

we walked from college green to broadmead dressed in black with our legs chained together as 'consumer slaves'..anyone see us?

arse mate, i was going to go over to bristle... in the end was sick as a picnic with josh as the saying goes, but well fancied it. good that people there are mobilising -- despite the cynicism of the peeps on the ToF forum. apathy is the biggest enemy really.

eh? :huh: i dont get the saying! why would you be sick with me? i was perfectly fine on sat night :unsure:

Back