buying music

Reaction score
have just been told by a mate that my cd buying, which is fairly substantial, and has been a lot more out of control in the past, does pitifull f all to help the artists who write them :blink: and that if i really want to help them i should book them to do a live :blink:
is he right? i cant be arsed to think (my brain hurts)
discuss

Instead of buying CD's invite the artists round to do a set in your living room you mean? Are you then allowed to record it for personal use? You could be onto something. Wonder if I can get Iron Maiden to play a dozen tunes in my garden for the price of a copy of Killers on CD? That would be wicked.

yep - afraid so ...

This way the money goes straight into the artists pocket without the need to pay distributors / artists / manufacturers / cd pressing costs etc etc ..... if you wanna live by writing music in the trance scene you had better get gigging !!!

But seeing as most of us aren't really in a position to book someone to play live for our own personal pleasure at least buying cd's is putting a bit of money in the artists pockets ...

afaik most payments to artists for albums are one off payments ..... plus any minimal royalties they may incur ....

:Smile3:

doesnt help the artist out as much as it does the label initially. Good Labels with good people behind them can get into all sorts of trouble if people arent buying the CDs......so its affecting someone in the end. Someone has to sift through tonnes and tonnes of crap music to find decent enuff tunes to put on their compilations paying the artist an agreed fee or a royalty deal and then hope that enuff CDs get shifted in order to do the process all over again.......over a period of time the amount that gets paid to the artists should hopefully increase parallel to the Labels CD sales going up.........or maybe I'm just being a bit nieve

hmm well i cant see how i can afford to book my fave acts any time soon. snot like i work for a record label putting on parties issit *hurrumph*

georgie, what you are doing at the moment is not helping the artists. if everyone did what you do, then it would.

lurk said:
georgie, what you are doing at the moment is not helping the artists. if everyone did what you do, then it would.
Word :ibiggrin: :peace:

Of course buying CDs helps the artist!

How would labels pay artists, distributors, manufacturers, sleeve artwork, promotion etc etc if nobody bought the CDs?!

And if they couldn't do that the artist can't release they're music, which is obviously something released artists want to do or else why would they be doing it?

Plus, I don't think that most artists really have the time to be playing out live every night of the week ... and getting their CD is a way of showing you appreciate what they've produced and would like to have it to listen to at your liesure :Smile3:

i think.

xx

I learnt a fair bit from that article. Needs updating a bit. I think georgie helps artists by buying their cds. To the tune of about 25p a go. She should just burn their cds and post them half a pack of wine gums.

Artisits get more money from a live act than a comp track but most of the album advances these days are fairly reasonable. Deedrah got 10 grand for body and soul I heard.

I think we should be aiming to help artists by slating their music when it is no good.

I very strongly believe that it is rubbish music that is killing our music and not copying.

think georgie is here talkinbg about simple maths...
yep... when you see the price of a track for say a compilation for someone who is not infected mushroom, its the same as a live set for a party.

really good reading that.......was kinda what I was trying to say in my post (just a hell of a lot more condensed and not as eliquintly put).......I agree with what mad ron and mr5 say about crap music killing the scene as well

here's a comment I made in the 'old infected mushroom debate' thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Purusha

That old chestnut is running on the Cabbage site.

http://www.cabbage-leeds.org.uk/php...topic.php?t=673

Strong opinions on both sides of the argument.

I've come down in the 'nay' camp (for the bulk of IM's output). Anyone else think it just sounds like *pop* music? Production over substance?

Or am I just plain wrong...?

:Wink3:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by June Rashava / Black Mamba

Does it really matter?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
yes!

In my opinion it is one of the spiraling causes of the dilution of what is the psytrance 'scene' and why I find it harder and harder to find decent music!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seems pretty obvious to me

I bought 15 cd's in the last 30 days(new & old)! 15!! At that rate i should be allowed at least 1hr live set in my living room! :sob:

some of Bigger artists in the trance scene will earn more out of a weekend of Live shows than they will out of the total payments for their album that may have been the result of two years work.. thru from the advance to the royalties ... but buying their album helps to support the industry that supports them and gets their music out to the world ... a balance between the two me thinks ..
if 3000 people decide to buy the CD, this does ALOT for the artist ... :Smile3:

x
x

Its all so inter linked though....
Why would they get booked for a LiVe if they hadn't put the two years work into the CD?!?
So the live cash pays for that hard work....

I agree on the low quality music thing too... well said ron, but still copying everything takes the piss...

everyone must have some copies, but a dj with a whole case full of copies is going too far...
the mp3 trader thing always seems about quantity rather than quality,
when it is there for free, the attitude seems get as much as possible!

It used to be an album like Lone Deranger came out, and you were still listening to it every week 12 months later, now a good CD might only get listened too for a few months then it seems old hat, the scene seems based on a high turnover, due to a short shelf life....

I only buy!!

Back