Buying my first staff......

Lyra Oct 25, 2004

1. Lyra

Lyra tranquila querida

Threads:
    Hey you lovely psyforumers.

After a summer of poi, im getting really excited to buy my first staff. But where should i go, does anyone have any great ideas of websites to look at, or shops? I live in Camden so i do live near Oddballs and I have been wandering around there for a while, but are there any other places?

All help will be greatly appreciated!

smiles
    Lyra

2. Durbs

Durbs Junior Members

Threads:
    One Staff, Two Staves - to your first question.

I can't say i like the Oddballs firestaffs - the wooden ones at any rate.
    If you've got the time, it's much nicer and cheaper to make your own fire-staff, but that's not very helpful :Smile3:

Other places to try:
    www.firetoys.co.uk
    www.butterfingers.co.uk

I'd say Firetoys were nicest, but still cost more than they should :Smile3:

3. martin_e

martin_e Pantheistic Cyberneticist

Threads:
    Nearly everyone I know makes their own. You need about 1 metre of Kevlar 1" wick, some carpet tacks, some coke cans and a wooden broom handle (try a diy store, or a £1 shop).
    Cut the top and bottom off 2 coke cans, slit down the side and unroll, roll back around each end of the broomstick and hammer in about 3 carpet tacks to hold in place. Wrap half your kevlar wick around the top, allowing at least one inch of coke can below to stop stick getting burnt. More carpet tacks hold the wick firmly in place. Soak in paraffin ... set alight and enjoy :Smile3:

Don't cut your hands on the coke cans whilst making the staff ...

4. Lyra

Lyra tranquila querida

Threads:
    hm.... thank you!! I might attempt to make my own actually, when i have time, much cheaper and then i can be proud to have made something as well, makes me feel creative! Christmas holidays would be a perfect time to do something like that - its not like i have much else t o do then :sun:

Thank you guys! :hihug:

5. Protomoto

Protomoto Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend using screws rather than carpet tacks to hold the kevlar - not that I'd gainsay Martin ... :Smile3:

If you want a non-fire staff, there are some gorgeous UV ones about. Spensive, tho' :Sad:

6. Lyra

Lyra tranquila querida

Threads:
    yeah.. i still havent had time to have a look for some UV staffs. I will closer to Christmas though :Smile3: Thanks.

7. PsyDragon

PsyDragon Junior Members

Threads:
    Down the 6th alley to your left, past the bins, up
    Hey! If you've got Poi you can make a really simple but effective staff that spins suprisingly well and looks really nice too.

First, get hold of a wooden pole about 90 or 100 cm long.

Then, get hold of some screws of the kind used to hold up curtains (they are like normal screws, but with a metal loop on top, instead of being flat and indented).

Attach a screw to each end of the pole and you can link poi up to it and make a poistaff thing.

I made myself one about a month ago and if you've been to spits in the last month you may have seen it.

:Grin: Anyway, I recommend anyone whose got string detatchable poi have a go at making one of these as its really easy and will provide loads of enjoyment for self, friends and family :lol: (and loads of fun to make to_) :Smile3:

8. Biggins

Biggins Cake Or Death

Threads:
    instead of wood maybe try and hunt down some aluminum pole (expenisve and tricky in the UK)

or use some shower rail pole with a bit of dowel in each end.

(i did use wood but it involved low flying wicks at a very in opportune moment, never again)

9. Lyra

Lyra tranquila querida

Threads:
    wow - there are A LOT of ideas here -i still havent had time to do anything about it all - but thank you SO much. :Smile3: All kinds of creative ideas are running through my head now :Wink3: :party2:

10. psytrix

psytrix erm...

Threads:
    firetoys.co.uk do some good uns...
    i used to make my own using 3/4" dowel from a diy store, and coke cans, as mentioned before.
    also when using screws, use those raised 'screw cup' washers...[​IMG] that go around the edge of the screw, and make sure that the screw is recessed into the wick, cos you will know about it if you hit yourself with a screw head
    for the grip in the middle, i used hockey or bicycle grip from sports shops...
    if you live in camden, the leyland shop on camden road sometimes sells aluminium tube, and this just saves loads of trouble.
    now i just get them from firetoys.[/img]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice