C programming tutor needed!

Reaction score
Yup...I need someone to teach me C programming over the summer otherwise if I dont pass the resit, I cant get an honours degree. And Im in desperate need of some help!! *is uselss at it*

I know some of u geeky lot do it, so if ur interested in tutoring an idiot or if u know someone who tutors/uses it regularly and is prepared to tutor, please let me know. Please dont suggest someone who lives in the north-most part of Scotland! If possible, someone near (within an hour of) Cardiff/Bristol/Winchester or with a constant net connection would be great (I have Dev C++ so I could email exercises and stuff).

There is money involved...how much will have to be discussed with my parents.

Thanks a lot :Smile3:

Wow, good stuff paf, glad to see they still teach real languages hehe

I'm way to rusty on C to help you though I'm afraid, but I recomend The Complete Refrence 'C', Schildt, Osborne.....it tought me everything :Grin:

If you want examples of stuff to get ideas and help try planetsourcecode.com they have loads of stuff, with a nice search engine, and ratings for difficulty levels, I havent been there for a good few years, but it really helped me when I woz learning C, C# and *shudder* .NET

have fun :Grin:

Okies...cheers hun. I have the red 'Guide to C Programming' and its taught me zilch. £20 it cost me!

And real languages....pfft!!! This is gobbledygook not a language!!

EDIT: Just noticed u added 'have fun'. Please tell me u were being sarcastic?! I cannot have fun trying to tell a robot to follow a light...when the robot does the opposite and runs away from it, but I dont know whats wrong with the code so I cant blimmin well change it! Hmph!

I can help you - and i live in cardiff.
Although recently I've been using C#, i'm sure I can help - i've done shed loads of machine code programming and a fair wodge of C. (Built my own robot with its own interrupt driven operating system and command line interface plus some DSP stuff)
What microcontrollers are you using? I'm familiar with 68HC11 and 12, ARM, some PIC and the old microprocessors like 6502 and z80.

If I write some code for you you'll have to understand it though - I wrote some code for a friend in uni and she got in serious trouble for it cos she couldn't prove it was her work. :Sad:

PM me if you are interested.

Yey! Wicked! Um...I have no idea what ur talking about as regards microcontrollers! I do need some code written but I also have a viva in it so it might be wiser if I do that myself! The bit I need help with is a written exam....just basically writing basic programs and learning what things like 'char' mean and what an array does.

Ill be home for Easter in 2 weeks...could bring a past paper to show u if ud like?

Psychedelic Acid Fairy said:
Yey! Wicked! Um...I have no idea what ur talking about as regards microcontrollers! I do need some code written but I also have a viva in it so it might be wiser if I do that myself! The bit I need help with is a written exam....just basically writing basic programs and learning what things like 'char' mean and what an array does.

Ill be home for Easter in 2 weeks...could bring a past paper to show u if ud like?

Easy peasy, that'll be no problem. Email me a past paper if you can and/or any tutorials, check your PMs for my email. Put my email into messenger as well, we can have a chat.
Give me a list of the software you have to use so I can get hold of it and if you drive any hardware (like a robot or something) using your programs then the docs for that as well and some example programs if available.
If you're only writing for software, like string manipulation or image processing or whatever, then that's even less to worry about... :ismile:

miszt said:
If you want examples of stuff to get ideas and help try planetsourcecode.com they have loads of stuff, with a nice search engine, and ratings for difficulty levels, I havent been there for a good few years, but it really helped me when I woz learning C, C# and *shudder* .NET

have fun :Grin:

ditto, god I hated learning that stuff C +, C++, .NET, SQL and Oracle aaaah bringing back memorys....type casting aaaaaaaaah

The absolute daddy on C/++ round here to the best of my knowledge is Goz, but it looks like you're already sorted. :Smile3:

J.

Awww Cheers Joe :Grin:

Well im oft on MSN if you want me to explain stuff ... Would be handy to know what u gotta do though ...

The best way to learn a programming language is to write code... reading about it in a book isn't much use on its own. Try and get a beginners book (or find a website?) with a sequence of basic exercises and work through them. What seems like gobbledygook in a book can turn out to be pretty simple once you have put it into practice :Smile3:

I've been programming in C more or less solidly for 4 years now :iconfused... I would offer to teach you but I'm an absymal teacher. Reckon you'd come out more confused than when you started :ilol: . Still, if you need a hand then I think John has my number...

Thank u :Grin:

I have a set of 24 tasks I was meant to complete by Christmas. I completed 12 by about 3 weeks ago - oops! Ah well....all I need is 35% so I can do....another year of it (the joys).

Back