Calling Oxford / Abingdon / Didcot people!!

rainbowsprite

Junior Members
Reaction score
Anyone who lives in the Abingdon / Radley area in Oxfordshire may be aware of a couple
of lakes situated next to the sus-trans cycle network. These former
gravel pits have over the last 50 years become something of a beauty
spot and home to a variety of flaura and fauna - including orchids and
otters.

Didcot power station has recently bought the lakes and are planning on
dumping a large quantity of ash (which contains heavy metals amongst
other nasties) into these lakes and it seems the application is moving
at some speed.

If you wish to help a local campaign to save this area there are a
variety of things you can do, from writing a letter to the council,
showing support at the council meeting or just signing a petition.
Details can be found out on the website
http://www.saveradleylakes.org.uk

In the artificial construct they originally built for it, before tearing it down in the '90s - if the site is to be believed!

J.

"These are beautiful lakes. They are old (believed to be more than 50 years old)" - nah...I couldn't get any further than the first ridiculous sentence. A 50 year old lake now counts as an old lake?!?! NIMBY tossers.

crikey said:
"These are beautiful lakes. They are old (believed to be more than 50 years old)" - nah...I couldn't get any further than the first ridiculous sentence. A 50 year old lake now counts as an old lake?!?! NIMBY tossers.

So if you found out that ash from the local nuclear power plant was going to be dumped near your house and that you were not going to be given the opportunity to voice your concerns to the local planning authority you'd just take it on the chin in the name of queen and country?!

Think your being a tad judgemental and should be more careful with the use of an insult that would be more validly used to describe the author of your post

Do you know the source of the electricity that you use everyday? Where are the waste products from this electricity deposited? Presumably as it's not in your backyard you've never looked into it.

Another NIMBY pressure group is currently busy oppossing plans to build wind farms as it would spoil their view of the countryside. Hypocrite NIMBY tossers the lot of you.

crikey said:
Do you know the source of the electricity that you use everyday? Where are the waste products from this electricity deposited? Presumably as it's not in your backyard you've never looked into it.

Another NIMBY pressure group is currently busy oppossing plans to build wind farms as it would spoil their view of the countryside. Hypocrite NIMBY tossers the lot of you.

You've made one hell of an un-informed presumption there Crikey

The Didcot power plant is not in my back yard as I live in London

I'm a massive supporter of windfarms. Insulting those that oppose them achieves nothing.

So where does your elecricity come from? Where does that waste end up? Should you be kicking up a fuss about that? Are 50 year old lakes the most important thing to be preserved? Can every little lake be preserved? Do the by products from energy production have to go somewhere? Aren't we all benefitting from this energy?

All I'm saying is I see no reason why this site in Didcot should be preserved over any other potential site. Remeber if the protest against this proposal succeeds, (which of course it will not) the ash problem will not dissappear, it will simply be moved somewhere else. The proposed site looks as good as any to me. They are after all only there because they are former gravel pits. It's hardly the middle of a national park. It's not like the planners are planning on wrecking a piece of protected woodland and destroying the local butterfly population in the process, a la alternate perception now is it?

Thanks for the more informative, less insulting reply.

I can now see where you are coming from.

Whilst we are dependant on fossil fuels for our energy needs something needs to be done with the waste. However, local people, who are affected by such dumping should be given the opportunity to raise their concerns to the local planning authority.... and, according to the website, the locals have not been given the chance to do so.

It is important to realise that when planning proposals are considered, decisions are based solely on the suitability of the site in question. The use/suitability of other sites is not considered as the required research/consultation is regarded as being prohibatively expensive. This worrying flaw in our planning system is highlighted by cases such as this.

It is preposterous to suggest that protesting against the dumping of toxic waste in a lake that supports myriad forms of life is unreasonable because those protesting use electricity. You must be an absolute cretin to even think it and be devoid of all logic. No one requested that electricity be made in such ways and (as was said above) I would love to see more wind, wave and sun being harnesed and pay a green supplier for my power. So you have shown yourself to be a presumptuous cretin. Also stated above by JPsychodelicacy they tore down the facility for storing the waste in the '90's.perhaps they shouldn't have, perhaps they should be thinking of these things from the very begining, perhaps we should be taking alot more responsability for the shit we spew forth in to places like Radley pits or the Thames or the Atlantic because we will all be drowning in it all before to long.

For a green electricity supplier visit www.ecotricity.com

update:

Massive local opposition to the destruction of the last two remaining lakes at Radley has been ignored by power company RWE NPower, and the decision to fill these lakes with toxic ash has been rail-roaded through by Oxfordshire County Council. A squatted field centre has been opened on the lakeside to stop this environmental disaster, and they go to court on Wednesday 10th January to fight their eviction. Show your support!

Radley Lakes squatted field centre are due in Oxford County Court at 10am Wednesday 10th January for eviction hearing bought by RWE NPower. The field centre was set up to study biodiversity of the lakes and prevent the dumping of toxic fly ash from Didcot Power Station by RWE NPower. Matt Morton, Oxford Green Party member and environmental activist commented after visiting Radley Lakes activist camp:

'This weekend I went to visit the Radley Lakes, which has just welcomed a small dedicated group of activists in a last ditch attempt to stop NPowers' atmospheric-polluting, inefficient powerstation in Didcot from pumping fly ash into the last of its ecologically rich water bodies. This has reminded me of how interconnected everything is: that the agents of Climate Change are also the same agents of habitat and species loss. That by working to limit climate change we will necessarily assist in the preservation of our planets biodiversity.'

They will welcome support to maintain the field centre and stop the destruction of the lakes.

Contact Oxford Action Resource Centre on 01865 243121

or visit Save Radley Lakes at
http://www.saveradleylakes.org.uk/index.htm

Back