CD Decks - Advice Please

Sparkle-ma

Flinging Fab at you!
Reaction score
Okay - one of my vinyl decks is playing up so its crunch time. I think I need to make the crossover (whilst still keeping my vinyl decks) to CD Decks. I've resisted for long enough.

I want to buy good quality, but can't afford at the moment to get the top of the range ones.

Advice please (including possible places to get good deals)? I've only looked at Turnkey so far.

I don't need or want a BPM counter. I don't need fancy frills, I just want the best possible quality.

Pioneer CDJ100 is pretty much the standard, what I was going to switch to b4 I discovered Live!, they aint to pricey really, and they work luvly, keep time nice, n have a few really usefull effectz, n the response is really nice as well imo, not as hands on as vinyl of course, but stil nice, I fell in love wiv em this summer....but live! soon changed that lol

i just got some pioneer cdj200s and they seem fine. i'm only just learning to mix now though so i don't have anything to compare them to. pitch control is a bit fiddly - quite hard to get exactly the right % change but apart from that everyone who's used them so far has been ok with them...

cost about £500 new for the pair.

look on Loot that's where I got mine or you could go into that ebay bidding thing, u don't have to buy them if u think they are battered or not holding time when u see them.

Yeah I think I would rather buy them new thanks. I've been mixing with vinyl for over 10 years, so I know roughly what i;m doiing ...:ismile: however I can't really see that much of a difference between the CDJ100's and CDJ200's - for the purpose that I want them for.

So looks like CDJ 100's from DJ Kit might be the go.....

I wouldn't buy something that important from EBAY (no offence to EBay). When it comes to decks I would need to buy them new.

Hmm. Now wondering if its worth waiting until New Year to buy them. Might get a good deal in a sale. Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Remortage and get the Pioneer 1000s its worth it the end.... (wish I had done instead of settling for Pioneer 800s)

Dex are for life not just for xmas! Otherwise its like getting record decks that aren't Technics.....

If you can go for the cdj200s. I have had the 100s for a long time now and the timing is going out. The 200s have more accurate timing so when a mix is in then it isnt likely to go out. Dont bother with the 800s.

I have pioneer 800s - replacing my old 500s about 18mnths ago. Whilst not quite as robust as the 1000s, I still find them very reliable, easy to use and mix with and much cheaper. I wouldn't bother with the 100s - very old now, hate the jog wheel. Not used the 200's so can't comment on them - only to say the 800s have a much bigger jog wheel making them more accurate to mix with. If you are switching from vinly, small jog wheels will feel very different.

Geoff3 said:
Remortage and get the Pioneer 1000s its worth it the end.... (wish I had done instead of settling for Pioneer 800s)

Dex are for life not just for xmas! Otherwise its like getting record decks that aren't Technics.....

I agree with Geoff,

Was going to upgrade my Axis-8's to Axis-9's (which cost less than the 100's and blow them out of the water for quality and features). Then decided on getting some 800's instead as they were much nicer to use, then I saw that the 200's had better pitch control than the 900's (same as the 1000's 0.2% rather than 0.5% which is really shit though not as amazingly shit as the the 100's which only have 0.10% pitch control - something which will piss you off if you're used to technics).

Dont go for second best, I got a loan and am paying about £20 per month for my 1000's + road ready flight cases. I'll be paying them off till 2010 but I dont regret it for a moment as I get this warm fuzzy feelin whenever I see them.

Makes more sense than buying some ok decks, selling seocnd hand for fuck all and then going for the 1000's in the end.

Problem with the 1000's now is that I really wannna pair of these *swoon*

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/video_jockey/pioneer/dvj_x1

hmm. think i might have to go for the 1000's..... they look deeply fab... :ibiggrin:

and great prices from dolphin.. hmmmm :icool:

omg, i had no idea pioneer brought out the djm1000...how can a mixer look so sexually alluring?!?!

makes my 500 look like a toy

one thing i noticed they havent fixed though.....still only looks like a -20dB cut on the EQ. Was really hoping they'd take it up to 30+ or something, grrrr, even my crappy Stageline thing has 30.

oh, and on the decks thing, always buy the best, whats the point in spending money on gear you dont even like that much that you know your gonna sell em for half what you paid. wait until you can afford them both, or just buy one at a time. you can still mix to and from your vinyl. thats wot i did with my techics 1200's coz i couldnt afford both at the same time.

Stitch said:
Dont bother with the 800s.

If you're switching from 10 years playing vinyl I reckon you will be very dissapointed with 100's as there's no 'hands on' feel to them.

I switched from technics & got 1x cdj1000 & 1x CDJ800...

To be honest there's not much between them, 1000's have more useful extras (like multiple real time cue instead of 1/8 1/4 1/2 1 bar auto loop on the 800's..not that useful!) but the response is very much the same...

personally...& I never thought I'd say this: I think they are better than technics vinyl decks.... they NEVER jump & the timing is spot on. much better than the technics cd deck (it hass messed up 'master tempo' that makes all kinds of horrible artifacts in the audio)

100's & 200's are great, in fact I find it a bit easier to mix on 100's than 1000's dunno why, maybe less sensitive?

... but they are nothing like playing vinyl, with the 800/1000 you can mix just like with vinyl, scratch/spinback/stop/start even reverse!!

it's worth it!

:ibiggrin: :ibiggrin: :ibiggrin:

Sparkle-ma said:
hmm. think i might have to go for the 1000's..... they look deeply fab... :ibiggrin:

and great prices from dolphin.. hmmmm :icool:

do it do it do it do it do it do it!!!!

:ismile:

Hey Lil Wizard

Thanks very much for that. Yes I've pretty much decided that I'm far too impatient to be dealing with dinky CD decks. It will be hard enough to make the transition from vinyl to CD without having to fiddle with diddly twiddly bits.

The CDJ1000's look the business and will go with my Xone92 to produce deeply fab sounds, I have no doubt.

Just got to get the best deal now. Dolphin seem to have the cheapest at 685.

If there is one thing I have learned (from decks) is that cheaping out in the first instance is not a good decision. Best to get quality from the start....:iyes:

Back