cdj stability

MaGiCdAvE

Psychedelic Funkster
Reaction score
hello folks

so, what are peoples thoughts on cdj stability?

i have a strange combo of players:

1 x cdj500s
1x axis9

I find that if the tracks are very tightly beatmached they will stay pretty well locked on for 2, 3 + minutes - leaving you to enjoy playing with the equ and the mix.

But a friend of mine (dj taifun - blegium based forum member) says he cannot get his cdj 100s players to stay locked for more than 20-30 seconds and has to keep nudging the jogwheel to keep in check?

This seems such a massive diffrence to me, so with so manty wicked djs on the forum I would value your comments on this.

like, do have perfect pitch stabilty and it fades with time? And needs to be serviced?

are some players good and some hmmmmm less than good?

thanks again

SmILes

davE

i have CDJ100s as well.

i think the issue lies with pitch sensitivity... *think* being the operative word. i know the display on 100s only reads to 1 decimal place, and sometimes it seems like the actual value being transmitted is the same as the display; i.e. it's difficult to get both tracks to remain beatmatched when you have such a large margin of error.

at least that's the only explanation i could come up with. i have definitely noticed the same problem but really you just mix around it - yeah it can be painful having to keep them in time (most crucially because it limits your other avenues of truly creative expression) but since i learnt on the shittiest of allegedly-direct-drive decks anything that vaguely keeps pitch is a blessing :Wink3:

i have 2 cdj100's and if i do the beat match of 2 tracks they never came out..... that's really strange..... honestly they stay forever.....
Another thing that might help is that each 0.7 on the pitch is one bpm... so one track has 145 (0 pitch) and the other has 143 you need to put it at 1.4 pitch..... hope you understand...

Bearing in mind that tracks are usually written to be bang-on 142, 145, 143 BPM. I guess it depends on whether or not that lines up with the pitch control granularity.

Although I guess that's implied by what Castrodp just said.

Once they're pitched though, the Pioneers are usually pretty stable...

i think mine have seen some serious gigging action as well :Smile3: the psycle soundsystem has pretty much owned them for a year and they're somewhat worse for wear!

still good to be kept on your toes tho :Wink3:

castrodp said:
Another thing that might help is that each 0.7 on the pitch is one bpm... so one track has 145 (0 pitch) and the other has 143 you need to put it at 1.4 pitch..... hope you understand...

not actually 100% acurate that one though...particularly if the difference of BPMs of the 2 tracks are considerably different.

thanks guys, and like castrodp and purusha i have no tropuble keeping em spot on for as long as....

Just trying to explain to a friend why his 'goes out' using cdj100s

maybe they need servicing??? or they need? or is down to user 'input'??

i remember when i first had a go at beatmatching i was chuffed if i got it all going ok for 4 seconds.......honest - now its a doddle , but trying to help that's all

smiling still

Dave

I also have cdj100's and find the same for some tracks. as aeon said, it only goes to 1 decimal, where the new 200's and 1000's go to 2 decimals, making it possible to get the beats closer still.

also think there's something about the mastertempo. if you mastertempo a 143bpm song to mix into a 145bpm (and set it faster 1,4) it re-samples the song to make the beats faster and so causes a difference, as opposed to two 145 bpm songs mixed together (and only fine tuning's needed).

yeah that's an interesting idea - haven't thought to check my master tempo!

to be honest it shouldn't really have that much to do with user input - if your friend can beatmatch then i don't think it should be an issue. i have noticed that it's a whole lot easier to keep tabs on tracks when playing on 1000s (and even 500s)... i guess the relative affordability means you run into the limitations of the hardware sooner :Smile3:

out of interest, to the original poster, have you mixed much with 100s? i'm thinking about replacing my decks (such hard use now) and just getting one good one for live sets and one average one so i can mix at home... how do yours compare to CDJs (in areas other than holding a beat :Wink3:) and how much were they? what would your recommendations be?

Another thing, if you press master tempo in the cdj the song changes the master tempo and not the pitch, have a try on that. I'm not shure if this is the right explanation, my cdj's instructions are under my bed and im lazy......

If you just want some decks at home to mix, listen, go for the 100's it's a waste of money to buy the 1000's just to stay at home and be played once every week.
I bought my cdj's 100 on turnkey more than a year ago and it cost me something like £210 each )brand new built in january 2004), it was a bargain in a shop, i reckon you can buy cheaper if you go directly to pioneer or if you buy a refurbished, but i would go for the brand new ones. And from what i've heard it's not everyone who can buy from pioneer directly at wholesale prices.
Well let me explain how did i get my pioneer's at that price, i'm half gipsy so when i phoned turnkey i said that i just saw 2 pioneers for £210 in an shop in totenham rd (i said something like westend dj or another) they said the usual, "Hold the Line" and after a while they said it was ok to buy them for £209.99, it's because they have that beatprice match or whateverpromotion.
I would like to say that turnkey has good prices on some stuff, but their staff ..... fuckinn hell ... they never say thank you, and they try to help you and sometimes they dont have any clue about what they are trying to sell.. but that's life it's a cheap store...... I could tell some really stupid incidents with their staff.... they employ the dumbest musicians/sound engineers wanabees... or i have a really bad luck

always worth a bit of time and effort to shop around on the internet and play one shop off against the other....you'll be surprised how much you can get yourself knocked off the price by doing that.....It worked for me :Smile3:

or just contact me at work for the actual best price. <piss takers excluded>
email quote requests to: Service@RWSalt.co.uk
trade prices for ltd registered peeps n companies.
But seriously tho pioneer are very unreliable and even worse they dont seem to care. I speak to Louis Grace (head of Pioneer distribution) nearly daily and guess what.....none of them use pioneer. General stability and spares are too unreliable.
(just did a repair quote for a company and got told id have to wait 5 months for CDJ1000 laser mechs)

hope i can help,
Peace, N

I would agree about the master tempo - leave it alone!

I am concluding his CDJ100s (bought faulty - and repaired) are going out - prob a good time for him to look at say the cdj200. These are the 500s replacement I am a BIG fan of those beasts:Smile3::Smile3:

smiles, DavE

Back