cdjs- pioneer OR technics????!

pionner cdj 1000's or technics sl-dz 1200's

• technics sl-dz 1200's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mr_faster

ecomingonecomingonstrong
Reaction score
ive been mixing on vinyl for 7 yrs and cdjs for nearly 3 and come september i shall become the owner of a pair of spanky new cdjs :!: , but i am having difficulty deciding which. i like to go a bit mad sometimes and want a cdj that is very flexible, accurate, and will stay up to date for a reasonable amount of time.....something that will do lots, on the fly, and is user friendly. if anyone has been using the technics...how r they!!! i know the pioneers r the tits, but.....mmmmmmm. :huh:
its a big chunk of money and i dont wanna spend it then regret what i bought....

so............

pioneer cdj 1000's

or

technics sl-dz 1200's

at the moment the technics are looking good, and would look sweet with my 1200's.

yeh, read that earlier..... not much help! but thankx :Smile3:
i need a mix on the technics as have used the pioneers and they r super fat.....
more research methinks....... :blink:

Hey John,
What do you prefer mixing with, CDs or vinyl? if you have become acustumed to the CD routines of cueing and nudging the tune along or slowing it down a touch during beat matching then go with the Pioneers. If ya cant get enough of that old feel of vinyl then the Technics will be right up your street. The platter on the top of the deck spins in the same fashion as a record and to keep the beats matched the feel and touch has to be the same as with vinyl, a little nudge here and there like with CDJs will really effect the tempo of the track so you have to be really gentle as if you were playing with records. They scared the hell out of me at the Liquid House party on the Blue Moon night, you cant imagine how relieved I was when I saw a pair of Pioneer 800s appear. The technics are most certainly marketed towards the vinyl junkies and will be a big big hit for all of the junkies wishing to add CDs into their sets without having to go down the pioneer route. Personally I prefer the Pioneers, but that is coming from someone who has never owned a record player in his life, and is openly honest about being scared of vinyl! I really like the look of the Technics but they really are a CD turntable pretending to be vinyl. Unlike the Pioneers where you can switch between vinyl and CD mode the Technics only work in a vinyl mode, if you switch it into CD mode then all the functions on the deck stop working, pitch, cue, loops etc and the deck just becomes a bog standard CD player :? (or so I am led to believe)
At the moment in the psy scene the pioneers are obviously the standard issue, but in time all this may change as new DJs (who may come from other genres of music and play on vinyl) turn onto psytrance and wanna keep that vinyl feel...only time will tell I suppose.
Sounds to me like you really like the Pioneers, but like you say maybe ya need to try out the Technics first before deciding. There was a brief discussion about this in one of the threads in the parties section I think but I cant for the life of me remember which one! if I remember I'll post up the link so that you can read a few other comments.
Which deck wins....? You decide....(said in a geordie Big Brother Voice over type thing)

Found the link. It was a party thread hidden in the General Discussion section, here ya go http://psy-forum.co.uk/psyforum/viewtopic.php?t=9853&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

i'd say CDJ-1000's based purely on looks and general reputation...they are lookers :wub:
t
he techics seem a little bit pointless when you can just use a 1210 and have the whole vinyl thing

Drat Mafia said:
the techics seem a little bit pointless when you can just use a 1210 and have the whole vinyl thing

Hehehe... carry 200 CDs around for a day, then carry 200 vinyl records around for a day and tell me if you see any difference! :Wink3:

The CDJs appear nice, but it's also worthwhile remembering Pioneer's notorious after-sales service. I can't understand why Technics didn't include a standard CDJ mode on their machines though... stupid, stupid, stupid!

I wonder if there'll ever be a software/firmware update that'll fix that...

J.

true but then i like to think of the muscular benefits of carrying around heavy weights hehe :Smile3:

I would certainly recommend the 800s or 1000s if you like to be able to manipulate the record...scratch, reverse etc but if you are a dj who likes to chop using just the mixer then the 100s or 500s are obviously the better choice. I haven't used the technics cdjs yet but I use the 800s frequently and I couldn't praise them enough! If you've got the cash then top of the range pioneers would be my choice.

Dawson

mmmmmm.
i think the point about the non-cdj mode on the technics is a bit of an arse.... i thought u would b able to switch between like on the pioneers. i have become accustomed to the pioneer way of cueing etc, (although thats not the end of the world as can pick up most decks in about 10 mins) and this is something that i like compared to vinyl mixing...if the technics only have vinyl mode than that could b the decider between the two, when using the pioneers i like to switch between the two modes quite alot and they will b used at our psy nights and i dont wanna drop djs in at the deep end!! im sure id b fine but my mates might have a complete mare with them......
i think the only way really is to get on a pair of the technics and see how they go, im a little dubious towards the technics as the pioneers are tried and tested, and from the sounds of things seem like the better choice with all things considered....

thanks for all your help guys, its been pretty useful!! :wub:

at last i will b able 2 mix at home and not just at parties!! (YEY practice!) u guys better watch out! hehe! blat! :jump:

Pioneer are SHITE.....fact!

Not the product, per se (although the build quality is appalling), but the company. Just pray that, having spent £1500 odd on a pair of decks, they never need servicing or you'll be cursing Pioneer for the rest of your life....Trust me...

For professional quality and a decent back-up service go for Denon....Technics ones are a bit new to be sure how reliable they are, but if the turntable quality is carried over to the CD decks, they are the best around!
Curse me if you like, but Numark Axis range are built to last and the company offers cheap and reliable back up. Most service engineers like dealing with Numarks (or Denons) cos you can get the parts easily, they are cheap and technical back-up is forthcoming. Just try that with Pioneer...The guy who does our servicing will tell you (independently) that unless you are a Pioneer service agent, you cannot get reliable and cheap advice/parts....

I know that Pioneer are considered the "standard" deck to use by DJs, but the appalling build quality (especially the later models) is useless if you are taking them out every other weekend....I'm sure they are fine in your bedroom, though....

I would equate Pioneer build quality to a 1980s Jaguar car....desireable, looks nice, plenty of gadgets, but will let you down at the slightest fault with minimal dealer facilities...
Whereas Denon are like a Mercedes or BMW (reliable and with top class back up) and Numark like a Vauxhall (built well, but cheap to own with a big dealer network).

Fushion Julz said:
Curse me if you like, but Numark Axis range are built to last and the company offers cheap and reliable back up.

Yeah, but you may get mega complaints from DJs who complain that they behave differently than the Pioneers... Remember PsyProject 1?

Whereas Denon are like a Mercedes or BMW (reliable and with top class back up)

Belt-driven platters? True, that seems to be the only thing that lets the side down with the Denons, but it's a pretty big thing...

The build quality of the CDJ1000 MkI was pretty suspect, it has to be said, but I've heard that the 800s and 1000 MkIIs are better in that respect.

This is just second-hand information for the most part, but I reckon there's a lot to play for in the CDJ market now... certainly the arrival of Technics on the scene will challenge Pioneer's ubiquity and *may* force them to pick their game up a bit.

We can only hope...

J.

in what way to Numark's behave differently? i got some Axis9's and i find them very reliable. i've not used pioneers (!) and im curious to know why they are the 'standard'

JPsychodelicacy said:
Fushion Julz said:
Curse me if you like, but Numark Axis range are built to last and the company offers cheap and reliable back up.

Yeah, but you may get mega complaints from DJs who complain that they behave differently than the Pioneers... Remember PsyProject 1?

Whereas Denon are like a Mercedes or BMW (reliable and with top class back up)

Belt-driven platters? True, that seems to be the only thing that lets the side down with the Denons, but it's a pretty big thing...

The build quality of the CDJ1000 MkI was pretty suspect, it has to be said, but I've heard that the 800s and 1000 MkIIs are better in that respect.

This is just second-hand information for the most part, but I reckon there's a lot to play for in the CDJ market now... certainly the arrival of Technics on the scene will challenge Pioneer's ubiquity and *may* force them to pick their game up a bit.

We can only hope...

J.

Well, I believe the Technics has a rotating platter, also...might be direct drive, though :Wink3:
The CDJ1000Mk1 might have been crap, but so was/is the CDJ500, CDJ500 II and the CDJ500s....also think the CDJ100 feels like a kiddies toy although I haven't heard of one failing in use (yet) unlike the others...

I don't think there is a huge difference in build and feel between the 1000 mk1 and the 1000 mk2/800 either....

The biggest problem is actually getting spares from Pioneer or getting their service centres to fix something in under 6 weeks!
eg: Laser assembly for CDJ500 II...£85 plus vat and fitting
laser assembly for Numark decks (all the same, apparantly)...£35 plus vat and fitting
Fitting to a Pioneer takes longer, too, as the assembly is attached to more gubbins (so I'm informed)...
Net result: to buy, fit and calibrate a Pioneer: £150ish to any other make £75ish..
Call me pedantic, but if the CDJ1000 and the Denon 3000s are the same ish price, then in the long run the Denon will be cheaper as every service will cost less...and make no mistake...every bit of pro equipment needs servicing from time to time....

As for complaining DJs...When we do a party we often have a different set of decks brought by every DJ! Some prefer CDJ100, some the 500s and some the 800/1000...They are all different....
Imagine if, as a sound engineer, I turned up to engineer a gig to say "I can't use that console" or "I can't get the eq I want from those mid cabs"...Quick change the PA system!!

Fushion Julz said:
As for complaining DJs...When we do a party we often have a different set of decks brought by every DJ! Some prefer CDJ100, some the 500s and some the 800/1000...They are all different....
Imagine if, as a sound engineer, I turned up to engineer a gig to say "I can't use that console" or "I can't get the eq I want from those mid cabs"...Quick change the PA system!!

ah the beauty of decks being small and easily portable eh Julz :Wink3:

well, i dunno bout the technics but ive had a pair of 800's for about 6 months. simply they are fun fun fun, the interface is very user friendly indeeed. and they look like spaceships. havnt had any probs with them yet, (touch wood)) apart from drunk people splashing things on them. :mad:
go pioneer yup yup

I think the CD's

:bananada:

well I see all this talk of cdj's and vinyl, i believe myself that cd's are a alot easier in the long run, and alot more tune are on cd's then vinyl, but I myself didn't choose cdj's i went with "dennon" 2600's and they are wicked, they have effects (echo , flanger, filter) a double loop, samplier and digiscratch (thats crap...but hey its still got it) and a few other bits and pieces.
The good thing with Dennon deckis is its got the cd player and a control board so you can have the cd player underneath the bench out of the way and the control board on top next to the mixer, which saves heaps of room if you or someone else you know uses vinyl

well thats what i think anyway

But lets face it, those mini jog wheels on the console type CD players are crap. I'm yet to meet anyone other than mobile jocks (oh, and you) that actually like the things. Even the CDX player with the big ring (oo-er :Smile3: ) is terrible.

I still prefer the CDJ100's out of the lot, no frills and reliable. I've dropped one off the table whilst it's been playing with not even a stutter.

As for the platters on the Denons being belt driven, I'm pretty sure it's less of an issue on a CD deck and as the platters are smaller the inertia of the thing is less and should start pretty promptly. Also depends on how tight the belt is and how wide it is on the spindle.

Back