Check out Mars the cold frozen planet

Ben3rdEye

toe-jamm
Reaction score
"Worth watching for - Mars Spectacular!
The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month."

ps I don't know whether all applies for the Northern Hemisphere

Correct me if Im wrong, and I sincerly hope I am, cos Id like nothing more than to see Mars like that, but.......

Didnt this close encounter with Mars happen a few years ago ?

Wow.. i hope it is a northern hemisphere thing too... planets are cooool :Smile3:

OK. Subbie. Please check the dates from the source of this info. Heres my geek space map program I have.

August 2003
08-03.jpg

November 2005
11-05.jpg

As you see, Mars was closer to Earth in August 2003. I remember watching with awe.

Still. November looks like we will have another close encounter with Mars; Jupiter is still on the opposite side of the sun from our present location so its gravity is having a profound effect on us all on this side of the sun

Triskele said:
Correct me if Im wrong, and I sincerly hope I am, cos Id like nothing more than to see Mars like that, but.......

bollox - think your right - august 27 2003 apparently

I remember that but it didnt look the size of the moon...it looked pretty tiny... but it WAS red...

still off-topic - must be shitty sitting up there checking for heat shield tile damage - knowing that your re-entry could end up in another fireball

yes yes, i rememb er this happening just the other year, twas good to see a small red ball of what seemed like only just greater than the size of a star, but certainly not the size of a full moon, unless of course you were looking at the moon in a backwards telescope....... :huh:

so is it going to be visable again in november?

:Smile3:

....has anyone worked out the gravitational/time dilational effects...not that we'd notice, but we must all get a little lighter/heavier/older/younger as it passes.

Triskele said:

Oh Oh dear
Listen my Mother sent me this so I will ask her where she got that from.
I doubt it's two years out of date though? A good explanation could be that it's visible down south eeerrrr.
Check 1-back in some days

The word is: I heard from an astrologer on radio last night - he's quite good and he gets away with playing world music on a talk radio- that the period we're in is mercury so things go wrong. In short it was a spam/incorrect message-however Mars will appear close to the Earth in October (prolly not as large as the moon).
Sowwy
B

Back