Circadians - Protoculture

Ruskin

will smack you one
Reaction score
Got it this morning. I'm not really sure what to think.

Tracks 1 - 4 are unapologetically 'protoculture' - frequent break-downs, very similar sounding build-ups, samples and rolling bass-lines. I've always been a fan of the man's style, and individually these tracks are pretty good, but there is little variation between them (dare i say the word 'un..orig....inal'?)

From tracks 5 - 8, however, things seem to get a little different. There's more of a techy, biting feel to the runs and a little less emphasis on the floatiness and big melodies heard earlier on. There are still the classic protoculture tweaks and tricks, and the production is as ever beautifully crisp, but it's nice to hear some tunes which bite a little harder than those of his output thus far. Track 5 - Innit - is a good example.

Track 9 is a downbeat, breaksy number which sails along nicely and unobtrusively to see out the album. Some more of this - or at least something to properly deviate from the norm - would be most welcome in the future.

i'm interested to hear this cos i absolutely loved refractions... his breaks stuff with ghost that i'v heard sounds awesome too...

Just listening to it in Saiko an it does sound phat... i can see myself shakin it to these tracks this summer. May have to wait before i get it though as just ordered new Vibrasphere... hopefullyi've dropped enough hints for the old birthday prezzie trick.... :Smile3:

I had a quick listen last night and I agree that as you get further into the CD it gets less about the euphric melody and more about the action!

and the "Circadians" track is probably the only real hands in the air euphoric trance melody moment... (which when it was released on streamline gave the impression that the whole CD might be like it) although the other pre released track Terra Tronics is also tainted by an unneeded hands up moment....

I think there are some playable tracks, which get down to the businees.... (probably 5,6,7) although it make take a few listens to find out which ones get it right and which go too far... but it sounds nice and solid.... wicked production and love the little protoculture tweaks, and one off hits, he uses great samples and accents....

Track 5 innit is a winner 4 me!! :Wink3:

it's better than i thought it would be; but it definitely wears a very pink blouse in a few places.

commercial hippies is much better imho

lurk said:
it's better than i thought it would be; but it definitely wears a very pink blouse in a few places.

commercial hippies is much better imho
yeah. I've always been a much bigger fan of hydrophonic, so this album never stood much chance against the commerical hippies one.. which is phatness personified.

i seem to recall a side project ('Architextures'?) which the Protocultural One was doing which was sort of downtempo breaksy stuff... maybe that was the track name rather than artist name.

Pretty good stuff... but for me nothing on here comes close to 'Homeworld'.

i reckon parts of it are wicked....good pumping morning tracks...but yea, it is smattered with the odd nippleish bit here and there

nipple-trance........to understand the definition of this, dance around with your hands close to ur breast with your index fingers pointing out (like nipples)....then imagine what kind of music would be suited to this dance...and there u have NIPPLE-TRANCE!

I think we expect a little too much from artists like Protoculture & even when they deliver an overall decent album, we're disappointed coz we expected so much more. Like people said Protoculture has done some awesome tracks in the past & this album, though pretty good on its own, can't be compared to some of his older tracks.

i actually like the sound of the nipple trance dance... i think you should start doing it whenever a nipple trance track comes on cos then you can turn mild cringing to much dancefloor comedy and maybe even start a craze... either that or embarass artists into not making it! :Smile3:

duballstar said:
i actually like the sound of the nipple trance dance... i think you should start doing it whenever a nipple trance track comes on cos then you can turn mild cringing to much dancefloor comedy and maybe even start a craze... either that or embarass artists into not making it! :Smile3:

i do mate! :ibiggrin:......the best nipple dancing session i had recently was in the tribe of frog room at the twisted party in london, whilst michelle adamson was playing.....there was a fair few of us doing it, and it went on so long that i was almost forgetting i was doing it to take the piss and started getting into it :irazz:

Back