Clean Renewable lectrcitiy

hmmm.. I'm from Australia. I think our options are limited. I'm on the "green" power plan with my energy provider, but fucks knows what that really means. 20% green? 25% green? $5 a month going to the development of a renewable energy supply? There are alternative providers, but to be honest I'm not even too sure whether I like blanket "green" energy schemes. I don't really want to be contributing to building dams for hydropower or anything. Solar all the way...

hmmm.. I'm from Australia. I think our options are limited. I'm on the "green" power plan with my energy provider, but fucks knows what that really means. 20% green? 25% green? $5 a month going to the development of a renewable energy supply? There are alternative providers, but to be honest I'm not even too sure whether I like blanket "green" energy schemes. I don't really want to be contributing to building dams for hydropower or anything. Solar all the way...

Hmmm - yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Changing to a 'green' tariff is easy if you haven't got much dosh here in UK, but as to what you are actually getting - that's another matter. Plus of course, it's no use having a semi-green leccy tariff in a power cut, makes no difference whatsoever.

Like you say, best thing is to harvest it yourself with PV if you can, which is what I do - got an off-grid inverter and a set of deep-cycle batteries to go with it, which gives me UPS in the winter too, as I can charge them from the mains.

Down in Oz you seem to be a bit more aware of fossil fuel depletion problems than we over here - I'm always reading reports of Peak Oil being discussed in the Oz parliament. I think New Zealand are getting pretty keen on it, too.

You've got a fair bit of potential for renewables down there, though - we've got plenty of wind and wave, plus a fair bit of sun for half the year. You should have a fair bit of sun, hydro (not necessarily desirable though, as you say), wind and the like.

Got any plans to 'go solar' yourself, sport? :iwink:

just found a government body that accredits Green energy suppliers. My provider wasn't on there, so I wrote to them asking why. If they don't respond, or if their response is inadequate, I'll change to this other bunch that are on there who do 100% solar

can't go solar myself cause I'm only renting.. generally for relatively short periods of time too...

On subject there are combinations of encouraging and discouraging developments in the field of alternative power generation.
For example, regarding solar power, the Australian government has commissioned the building of several solar towers. These constructions double as solar generators and artifical wind plants by having a huge, Km high funnel at the centre of a solar panel field, there are turbines at the base of the shaft and the pressure/temperature differences between the top and bottom cause air to rush up. Dual generation, nice!

I'm australian and heard about this a couple of years ago, but was under the impression (from where i don't know) that it was either not going ahead or was just an idea that had been put forward, yet to be approved. I would be very interested in finding out if it is happening, as it sounds like a pretty top idea to me.

Someone has mentioned biofuels (as used in brazil for example) on here. Unfortunately i recently heard reports of huge areas of rainforest in africa being clearcut by companies claiming to be very green, in order to grow crops for the production of ecofuels. Once again we can see just how difficult it can be to live in a sustainable way, when you are blatantly lied to by people out to make money from peoples consciences.

I'm australian and heard about this a couple of years ago, but was under the impression (from where i don't know) that it was either not going ahead or was just an idea that had been put forward, yet to be approved. I would be very interested in finding out if it is happening, as it sounds like a pretty top idea to me.

I think the original $1 billion kilometre-high tower which was planned has proved to be a bit of a challenge, and they are now thinking of making it a bit smaller at 400m, as far as I know. Not sure when it might happen though.

CSP (Concentrating Solar Power) is really catching on though, a CSP station recently opened in Spain and the North African countries are looking at it as a way to earn revenue exporting solar electricity to Southern Europe.

Low-tech and high-efficiency, with an inexhaustable free fuel supply. Job's a good 'un!

:iyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6EnDBjCjBw

- Part 1: Overview (2 hours, 8 minutes)

The first part in the series is about the vacuum and the secrets of engineering and extracting its boundless energy. After this, Tom discusses virtually everything you ever wanted to know about his patented Motionless Electromagnetic Generator (the MEG), which he co-invented with several other colleagues.

Tom, John Bedini, Walt Rosenthal, and Peter Lindemann then conduct a brief historical overview of the history of free energy devices, going back to the late 1800s. And finally, Tom wraps things up with a penetrating summation that gets right to the heart of what has to be done.

- Part 2: John Bedini (2 hours, 12 minutes)

The film's primary focus is the enigmatic addition to "conventional" EM energy that has been banished from our circuits. The phenomenal and counter intuitive properties of this "negative" energy have been hidden from public view since the time of Tesla, who called it "radiant" energy.

The film features an intimate tour of John Bedini's lab and his experiments, conducted by the maestro himself, with additional on camera explanations by brilliant physics conceptualist Tom Bearden, filmed by Oscar-nominated Director William Gazecki, and edited by Oxford University mathematical physicist David Clements Ph.D.

A whole host of John's motors and devices are shown in action, with instrumentation, as John waxes eloquent about the subject for which he is world famous - capturing and harnessing negative (radiant) energy, a form of energy that is such a boon to consumers that the harder a negative energy device is worked, the less current it draws!

Number of files: 2
Size: 856 MB
Video codec: mp4 (H.264), 52 kBps, 320x240, 30 fps
Audio codec: aac, 44 kHz, stereo
Source: google video

Visit conspiracycentral.net:6969 - conspiracycentral.info

energy from the vacuum

Dyson or Vax? You have to make sure you empty the bag too . . . :iwink:

Unless you mean 'zero point energy' . . . ? Nice idea, but nobody has really managed to tap into it yet. Would be interested in your link though, when you find it!

probably the most environmentally friendly way of generating power is to get off the grid completely and get your own wind turbine and/or solar panel generator and run everything off batteries. The large scale wind farms which give you energy via the national grid have been built in areas that previously had a large range of wildlife and the habitats have been completely destroyed. Centralising things is not the way to go, small and local is generally best. Wind turbines can be bought from about £300 and its not that hard to make your own. info is available on http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_tips.html
and there are courses for building wing turbines and setting up a 12volt system in your house to run everything off car batteries.

a 12volt system in your house to run everything off car batteries.

Great post BM, I wouldn't use car batteries though, they are only designed to provide a high current for a very short period of time and don't like being deep discharged.

Better to go for purpose-made deep cycle batteries, otherwise known as 'leisure batteries'. They can handle being 50% discharged and will last for 10 years if you look after them.

Also you can only run basic stuff off 12V, but it will make you independent during a power cut, giving you light, comms (mobile 'phone), internet (laptop plus mobile 'phone). You can even get 12V fridges and TV and stuff (could use a laptop with TV card though too).

Do you mean the batteries that are used in caravans? good idea i never thought of that. I reckon switching to a 12v system would be something to think about for the future. Its probably wont be necessary to use the high amounts of energy we use currently in modern homes when half the land mass in the world is flooded and we're left to fend for ourselves.

Do you mean the batteries that are used in caravans? good idea i never thought of that. I reckon switching to a 12v system would be something to think about for the future. Its probably wont be necessary to use the high amounts of energy we use currently in modern homes when half the land mass in the world is flooded and we're left to fend for ourselves.

My thoughts exactly . . . nice to meet a kindred spirit BigMichelle, I notice you are here in sunny Manchester too! I am just up the road in Bury. Maybe see you at some event or other sometime! Strange Daze are having a regular Sunday chill session in Chorlton at the minute, might pop down there soon.

:ismile:

Community Energy Gets Real in South Wales: http://tapenergy.org/

I think that waterways provide us with one of the greatest opportunities for generate clean power into the future - other renewable sources are to reliant on high energy inputs for manufacture and maintenance. Solar panels, for example, cannot be made without costly, non-renewable materials in an energy intensive industrial process.

Whereas a water wheele, armature of copper wire and a strong earth magnet will generate consistent power. Better yet, using small dams and logical temporal energy usage withgeneration related to local demand... this would of course require a relocalisation of living and industry and community controlled energy resources.

It's a bit radical I guess, but outside of sustainably managed copice, community biodigestion for CHP and water power I can't think of a way to continue to have a viable power solution in the face of peak resources.

Hydro power from streams and rivers is a brilliant one, constantly delivered power, a good baseload generator - which are remarkably difficult to come by with renewable energy technology.

Many communities are historically located along the banks of rivers anyway - of course hydro power used to be used for milling and general industrial purposes. With today's technology, it could once again be a vital source of clean energy.

Check out these guys, who are building community-owned hydro schemes based on the use of the Archimedes screw for power generation:

http://www.torrshydro.co.uk/

The advantage of using the screw is that it can easily be installed on a weir, and because the water falls in 'pockets', living creatures like fish are delivered unharmed into the lower section of river, unlike a traditional tunnel and turbine arrangement which is quite disruptive to the ecology of a river.

Excellent mate - thanks very much. I'm looking to hook up with some people from the Universities here and community groups and a cardiff based civil engineer to look into the possibility of this kind of hydro for Cardiff as we have 3 rivers flowing through the city!

Great post BM, I wouldn't use car batteries though, they are only designed to provide a high current for a very short period of time and don't like being deep discharged.

Better to go for purpose-made deep cycle batteries, otherwise known as 'leisure batteries'. They can handle being 50% discharged and will last for 10 years if you look after them.

If ya gonna be stationary and not lugging the batteries about, then consider milk float or submarine batteries, as they are better still :Wink3:

Back