Coca Cola The Killers Of The World

Fluffyfairy

The Fluff organisation
Reaction score
In Colombia, Coke bottlers have unleashed a brutal campaign to reduce labor costs. Plant managers maintain close relations with the right-wing paramilitaries that are threatening and murdering union leaders. Seven union leaders have been killed and 65 have received death threats. The bottlers have replaced union workers with temporary employees and contractors, many of whom earn just the minimum wage of $120 per month and don't receive benefits. The primary Coke bottler in Colombia shut down production at eleven of its plants in September 2003 and pressured 535 workers into "voluntarily resigning" from their contracts. In July 2004, that same bottler petitioned the Labor Ministry to revoke the union's statutes.
Instead of taking action to protect union workers in Colombia, Coke has chosen to spend money flying corporate representatives around the world in an attempt to defend the company's image. Coke has stated, "Colombia labor union SINALTRAINAL's oft-repeated allegations against the Coca-Cola Company and its Colombian bottling partners are completely false. They are nothing more than a shameless effort to generate publicity using the name of our company, its trademarks and brands." Does Coke believe that Isidro Segundo Gil was trying to "generate publicity" when he was shot to death by paramilitaries inside the Coke plant in Carepa?
In India, Coke has been accused of causing severe water shortages as a result of its bottling operations in Plachimada, Mehdiganj, and Thane. At a protest outside the Mehdiganj plant in November 2004, demonstrators were beaten up by police and more than 350 people were arrested.
In the U.S., Coke is taking advantage of the inadequate funding of public education by paying high schools and universities to promote and sell Coke products. The administration of the University of Montana has sacrificed its educational mission in exchange for $300,000 a year from Coke. The corporation has a monopoly for the sale of beverage products, can refer to itself as a "sponsor" of the university, and can use the university's name, teams, logos, and mascots in its advertising. Instead of fostering critical thinking, the university is promoting the thoughtless consumption of Coke.
I refuse to support the violation of human rights, environmental destruction, and the undermining of public education. I am boycotting Coke products, and I'm encouraging my friends and family to do the same.:happy: love and peace to all xxxxxxxxx we can fight back !!!!!!!!!!

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1734036,00.html

I dont know about the columbia story, its a frequent place to find rogue stories flying out of, but the water shortage situation appears to have some fire :iconfused:

will be joining the boycott, which is a shame, I love coke, but fuked if i am gonna give money to a company that allows people to starve for profit

(even tho my taxes go to just such a company...)

Fluffyfairy

The Fluff organisation
Reaction score
Hey Yeah sorry about the font colour it great when people want to join the boycot !!If everyone tohught like us the world would be a much eaiser olace to be in !!!!!!!!!!!!:irofl: :ibiggrin: :irofl: x x x peace and love to all x x x

Xenomage

Lord High ChillMaester
Reaction score
My god, your like heavily distilled eco-hippy, but online! When will you boycott the internet for all it's crimes against humanity and mother Earth?

Fluffyfairy

The Fluff organisation
Reaction score
Well I think that internet is helpful in good ways and bad ways ! you can send out messages its just what you choose to send x

UVFi

Forum Member
Reaction score
coke are barstards, its a worth company to boycott, specially seen as it has recently bought green and blacks. Its just bad for you, bad for the environment and bad for the people that have to make it

so i cant see your point really xeno - yes the internet aint an angel, but surely as its here, we should use it to get some really worthwhile points across

surely

kunningtoerag

naut-psy-kik-humaon
Reaction score
no more "green and blacks" :icry: :icry: :icry: !!!!!
we need to get some big bucks and buy it back, or should we just steal it??

Xenomage

Lord High ChillMaester
Reaction score
UVFi said:
so i cant see your point really xeno - yes the internet aint an angel, but surely as its here, we should use it to get some really worthwhile points across

surely

Well, yeah, I'm just a bitter person right now, so spreading a little angst online. You know, what does misery love?

I'm surprised theres no mention of the fact that coca-cola is faarkin 'orrible anyway. Prefer a glass of water. Every time.

linziloop

The Puppeteer
Reaction score
miszt said:
btw can you take the yelllow font off and leave it as standard color font, its impossible to read with my theme

:dito: i wanna bge able to read this.... ive always hated coca cola but generally because i saw what it can do to liver overnight in science at skool :crazy:

SugarPixie

unforgoatable
Reaction score
Coca Cola in India poluted ground water supplies and dried them up as well. It did lots of other bad things but I don't know if it's worth my effort listing them, we've already established that cocacola= not nice.

If you yern for cola-tasting drinks (as I did when I first stopped drinking cocacola), there's an organic one you can get from health food shops with some kind of fruit extracts in. It tastes pretty nice - nicer than cola, anyway. I think you can also buy it in sainsburies.

It takes 10 litres of water to make 1 litre of coca cola.

umberleigh

Killing the scene
Reaction score
So, if one were to boycott the coca cola company, what is one supposed to drink when out and about and in need of refreshment? Coke pretty much have the market sewn up when it comes to non alcoholic beverages.

Bottled water isn't really an option.

kunningtoerag

naut-psy-kik-humaon
Reaction score
umberleigh said:
So, if one were to boycott the coca cola company, what is one supposed to drink when out and about and in need of refreshment? Coke pretty much have the market sewn up when it comes to non alcoholic beverages.

Bottled water isn't really an option.

why, its been the staple, refreshing drink since the year dot!??

umberleigh

Killing the scene
Reaction score
Because it uses about a bazillion times the energy in collecting, packaging and transport that tap water does. In an ideal world water fountains would be as common as er.. something really common.

Pretty much the only time I buy bottled water is when I've forgotten to bring an empty bottle to a party.

So.. what other non-coca cola company owned alternatives are there that are relatively easily available? (ie. don't require going to a health shop)

natacha_

Junior Members
Reaction score
UVFi said:
specially seen as it has recently bought green and blacks.

Whaaat? Oh dear. I do love the whole capitalism with a conscience thing that's going around. (The Body Shop and Lloreal, etc).

Coca cola own Evian too, and Bacardi, and all sorts.
Soon they'll own disney, and be sending out all these subliminal messages to kids saying BUY THIS. Probably not, but I like thinking about conspiracies like this, taha.

xo-

SketchySteve

No Social Conscience
Reaction score
Water fountains used to be very common, now we dont have any working ones i can think of. You always need to buy a drink when your out, if you try to choose to buy something other than coke, you might not be doing any better. I really like Orangina but thats owned by Schwepps, which is owned by Nesle. Bugger.

umberleigh said:
Because it uses about a bazillion times the energy in collecting, packaging and transport that tap water does. In an ideal world water fountains would be as common as er.. something really common.

Pretty much the only time I buy bottled water is when I've forgotten to bring an empty bottle to a party.

So.. what other non-coca cola company owned alternatives are there that are relatively easily available? (ie. don't require going to a health shop)

umberleigh

Killing the scene
Reaction score
SketchySteve said:
Water fountains used to be very common, now we dont have any working ones i can think of. You always need to buy a drink when your out, if you try to choose to buy something other than coke, you might not be doing any better. I really like Orangina but thats owned by Schwepps, which is owned by Nesle. Bugger.

Exactly. My friend Felix tried to boycott Coca Cola for a while, only to find, to his horror, that every soft drink seems to be owned by them, or a company with a human rights record almost as lousy.

Perhaps we should just give in and drink Soylent Green Cola. :irazz:

SugarPixie

unforgoatable
Reaction score
Buy orange juice (fair trade orange juice isn't too hard to get hold of), or carry a bottle of water around with you to fill up as necessary.

Why aren't there more places to fill up a bottle of water in this country? I think we used to be able to quite a lot in France.

natacha_

Junior Members
Reaction score
SugarPixie said:
Why aren't there more places to fill up a bottle of water in this country? I think we used to be able to quite a lot in France.

Maybe water fountains are easy to poison? If they weren't though, I'm sure the government would put up some sort of terrorist-attack-related scare story to put us off using them. That way, if we buy bottled water from mean companies I'm sure they'd somehow pay the government for encouraging us to buy from them so we're safe from harm, etc etc.
I don't really understand who pays who with these things, only that they are most probably corrupt.

xo-