Compression, EQ and Bass Guitar????

T

twistedjc

If one is seeking to fatten up/generally improve a bass guitar signal (or similar input) is it better to apply compression first followed by EQ or vica versa?

Please could someone with knowledge and wisdom enlighten me and save me from my shit technique...

Cheers :Grin:

eq then compression.. although you should be able to do it with just a multiband compressor.. just fiddle til it sounds nice :Smile3:

EQ followed by compression.

With bass, pay particular attention to the attack and release settings on the compressor.

If you're not confident, always record flat and fiddle with it afterwards. A bass guitar is one of the easiest instruments to bollocks up, and once its fucked there is no un-fucking it.

:Smile3:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ott^ @ Apr 5 2004, 09:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> A bass guitar is one of the easiest instruments to bollocks up, and once its fucked there is no un-fucking it. [/quote:e6d5453e8c]
te he, u have such a way with words ott^ :Wink3:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEmbalmer @ Apr 5 2004, 09:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ott^ @ Apr 5 2004, 09:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> A bass guitar is one of the easiest instruments to bollocks up, and once its fucked there is no un-fucking it. [/quote:9d0c6999da]
te he, u have such a way with words ott^ :Wink3: [/quote:9d0c6999da]
Try to keep the discussion non-technical for those of us with no clue. Ta.

:drinking: Nice one.

:angry: Unfortunatley my fucking PC has decided to throw its rattle out of the pram. It has this reoccuring problem where it decides that its not going to recognise the mouse/keyboard when u boot up. Its been doing this occasionally for a couple of months and has always sorted itself out, but this time is refusing to do so.

In your esteemed opinions do u reckon this is more likely to be a problem with my keyboard/and or mouse hardware/drivers etc (fingers crossed) or a symptom of a more serious fuck up :confusion: ?

Or is there - as I suspect - absolutely no way of knowing...

:killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc: :killpc:

:thanks:

Right - see if you can boot the machine in Safe Mode (what OS are you running?) - aside from the fact that your keybord's probably working if you can select 'Safe Mode' from the options, it will load a minimal set of drivers (bog-standard Windows ones) which will allow you to test your mouse too.

Are these USB or PS/2 periphs?

Also, a rough idea of components/spec'd prolly help :Smile3:

J.

I'm running XP Professional - how exactly would u put it in safe mode?

I have just tried using a different mouse and keyboard and the keyboard worked but the mouse didn't. I don't quite know what this means however.

Slightly in the dark about ur USB/PS/2 periphs question I am afraid...

Cheers

This isnt going to help you but a close mate of mine was having this intermittent keyboard/mouse dropping out probs & funnilly enuff it started after installing XP pro!! at the time we thaught it was his infra-red wireless k/b & mouse setup but now im not too sure.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (twistedjc @ Apr 5 2004, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Slightly in the dark about ur USB/PS/2 periphs question I am afraid... [/quote:321e679797]
As in, are they USB (oblong connector), or the old-style PS/2 (round connector)?

J.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPsychodelicacy @ Apr 5 2004, 02:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (twistedjc @ Apr 5 2004, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Slightly in the dark about ur USB/PS/2 periphs question I am afraid... [/quote:796d9dc7ce]
As in, are they USB (oblong connector), or the old-style PS/2 (round connector)?

J. [/quote:796d9dc7ce]
Ah - though u were talking about something a bit more complex. They are the old round ones.

Some system specs: 1 ghz athlon, 128 RAM (grossly insufficient but somehow miraculously handles, probably because of PCI - M-Audio Audiophile - soundcard rather than USB)

IIRC, hitting F8 *immediately* after BIOS has stopped and before the Windows XP splash screen appears gives you the good ol' boot menu, from which you can select Safe Mode startup

Here's a link so that you can add it to your normal (usually hidden) boot menu if you like, without needing to mash F8.

Also, do you have another computer you can test the mouse/keyboard on?

J.

is it me, or would hitting F8 with a faulty keyboard be difficult?

can you enter the bios?

if so, then the keyboard is OK, and it's a windows problem. I reckon it's most likely to be that, as both going at the same time sounds odd. Unless there is a splitter on the port, in which case it could be that...

good luck. hope it sorts itself out.

There is nothing wrong with the mouse or keyboard because I have tested them on another machine. When I used the other keyboard and mouse on my machine the keyboard worked but the mouse didn't. Then when I booted it up again to try the F8 jobbie the keyboard decided it wasn't going to work either and has continued to refuse to do so.

ARSE!!!!!

Anyway thanks for the support through this difficult time :sad:

have you been fiddling in your bios again?

if so, the root of your woes is probably here.

if not... your motherboard is fried... sorry dude, but there are NO other available options. Windows will always give you the F8 screen.

sooo....

The keyboard and mouse are working.
Windows is working - it loads but no control yes?

Either you've tweaked something in the bios (can you get into it?), or if you haven't(and no-one else has) then the sockets are fried on the back of your pc.

The other thing worth checking - and i know it sounds lame, but this eluded me for two days a while back - is make sure everything is plugged in properly.

If all else fails - i.e. you HAVE changed your bios, but cannot get back into it, there should be a bios reset jumper on your motherboard. This is the final step. Only attempt if all else fails.

Good luck. :sob:

PS - before you buy a new motherboard, i'd invest in a new mouse and keyboard. Might save yourself a bit of cash, and you deserve it anyways to get the horrible experience out of your mind :Smile3:

Jack - to get back to your original question, I would let your amazing Boss bass fx unit do the compression and eq for you. If you want to process the audio further afterwards then that's another question, but surely your fx unit produces pretty perfectly compressed and eq'd sounds already as it is designed specifically for that purpose?

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rorymonster @ Apr 6 2004, 10:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Jack - to get back to your original question, I would let your amazing Boss bass fx unit do the compression and eq for you. If you want to process the audio further afterwards then that's another question, but surely your fx unit produces pretty perfectly compressed and eq'd sounds already as it is designed specifically for that purpose? [/quote:b1954edbdc]
Depends. Rackmount gear tends to be better than footpedals as far as that goes. I suspect that you won't get anything like as much control over the EQ/Compression as you would in the software (My old Zoom guitar FX unit only had 4 compression settings and 4-band-EQ, for example). The best thing I could suggest there would be to experiment to get the best sound, but bear in mind Ott's advice.

Hardware does not necessarily sound better, despite what gearheads will tell you.

J.

I hear u Rory - but for some reason it doesn't seem to be that simple. Where has it we got it sounding pretty sweet relying purely on the hardware @yours, I have had difficulty on my crappy setup. Of course I run it through the boss but I find that using the compression, eq etc encourages distortion far too quickly and dropping the volume to compensate shafts the sound. I'm doing something wrong somewhere. :rolleyes:

And yes - the computer is still fuckeroonied...

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (twistedjc @ Apr 6 2004, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Of course I run it through the boss but I find that using the compression, eq etc encourages distortion far too quickly and dropping the volume to compensate shafts the sound. [/quote:f43f3e5fb6]
Dropping the volume on the guitar, or dropping the input gain on the computer?

J.

Back