compression

The Sound of Jiva

"Crash Landing!?!?!"
Reaction score
Argh...ok i'm having a bit of trouble with compression on my beats and bass! my beats (kicks) are sounding good. but my bass is a bit muffly every time i try and compress it to fit in with the kick (are there any specific settings {threshold/ratio etc} which give the bass a nice sound)...so far i've just been doing a bit of trial and error with my soft-compressor's...but a clean sound from the synths seems to be best at the mo.
I was told that compressing the beat with the bass is the way it is to be done! but this just merges into a bass rumble...which i'm sure isn't healthy for me monitors!
er...help... anyone!

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
if you can post an mp3 sample of what it sounds like currently i may be able to help. with and without comp if possible.

also what are you using to make the kick and the bass?

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
The Sound of Jiva said:
I was told that compressing the beat with the bass is the way it is to be done!

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all 'way it is to be done', though it is certainly one way you can do it. Because I don't do it myself I'm not going to offer advice which is likely to be inaccurate.

Whatever you do don't fall into the trap that there is 'One True Way' to writing and producing your own music. :Smile3:

J.

RedZebra

Reaction score
Latest issue of Computer Music has a good tutorial on mixing, including use of compressors etc. and advice on bass etc
You might find it useful.

redzebra

The Sound of Jiva

"Crash Landing!?!?!"
Reaction score
Seems like i'm answering me own question then opia :Smile3:

looking into it and will post a copy of the track when it's done!

Double_Helix said:
also what are you using to make the kick and the bass?
I make my kicks in cool edit pro usimg tones and pitch shift! and the bass is coming direct from the synth?

M

makdaddy

I never use compression on my kick n bass and as you already know good original sound sources are a must!

peace out imak x