computer tips

Asphyxia

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
hey, now time for the computer to studio'n considering 2011-3 5820 or 5939 6-Core but also has some thoughts on giving on a Mac Pro 6-core 3GHz or 8core heard that right Mac Pro 8 Core is still very powerful but 12 Core seems whose right overkill and still rather costly for an earlier model

Tanka in Advance :Smile3:

JoshuaTHX1138

Forum Member
Reaction score
Well I use the latest generation 6 core intel and it works just fine. I wouldn't buy a mac pro considering with the components I used for my custom build you can build a hackintosh, giving you more power at half the price or something like that. Also it's much better to have that flexibility. I'm yet to use it, but I know that in the future having the option to produce on windows OR mac will be a huge bonus when collaborating with friends. Go custom and research your components. The money you save can then be spent on a higher quality/more powerful soundcard. I use a Roland Duo Capture EX and it is certainly the bottleneck on my projects. Depending on the plugins I use and how sensible I am with bouncing to audio before progressing, 100+channels is still only using 30-40% CPU... but still experience the odd pop or crackle... and I'm not even sure Ableton knows how to properly make use of the processor's full capability... (can't increase soundcard buffer size beyond 894 or something like that due to Roland's driver - can only boost it by using asio4all - a soundcard that can use 2, 3 or even 4 gig with its own drivers and internal memory is going to totally change performance in those bigger projects)

I built my PC around the following core components:
MSI X99SLI Plus
5820K i7
2 x OCZ ARC100-25SAT3-240G 240GB ARC 100 Series (dirt cheap but awesome performance per $$$)
16gb of ram
You can get self contained water cooling systems which are nice and quiet for a studio environment, and there's so much RAM on the market you're best off just looking for the best deals at the time.

Stick with Intel as well for the easy hackintosh and higher audio-editing performance per hz clock-speed and performance per $$$

Asphyxia

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
has seen some based hackintosh i7 6700k but feel like the i7 5820 or 5930 is a better choice with the advantage of multi-core, cubase be supposed to be able to take advantage of multiple core, was a bit inside the building one myself but have heard that Mac OS X does not support 2011-3 x99 motherboards, otherwise it could be a good choice when the logic can take advantage of multi-core, some other good tips?

Asphyxia

Forum Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you very much, unfortunately that is not the msi my best friend, but there are certainly good guides on such gigabyte or asus, and which model is best suited, seen tonyx86 have different construction guides but only for the i7 4790k and similar

Stanova9

Forum Member
Reaction score
This problem can also occur due to a dirty registry that does not allow your drivers to be updated. You can find any windows 10 registry cleaner on the Internet and get rid of many problems in a few minutes, then update all the drivers on your computer. In addition to getting rid of the problems you have encountered you will also notice how your computer has become faster by several times! If you repeat this procedure once a month, your computer will always work well and no problems will occur.

Last edited:

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Just to dispel some bad windows advice, these registry cleaners don't do anything useful and can actually fuck your windows install.

If you want to keep your production Windows install tip-top, don't use it for anything else other than running your DAW. Don't use it for games, don't install and remove stuff constantly. Don't use it for browsing the internet. Avoid windows updates like the plague, unless you absolutely need one of the new features or some fix.

Anyhow back to the original question, and to put things in perspective, I still run an i7-2600k (not overclocked) from 8 years ago and it can run my heaviest projects OK still. What "heavy" means for me might not be the same for you, mind.

Sil

Still Collating...
Reaction score
Hi is there any free software that can detect drivers needing updating and then update them? I used driver easy last year but it was paid.

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Windows update should do this for you, if you're in Windows that is and have not installed drivers provided by the manufacturer. In any case, unless you're having problems there's little point in updating any drivers. The less you mess with your windows install, the longer it'll last before you need to go nuclear.

Reactions: Sil

Sil

Still Collating...
Reaction score
Windows update should do this for you, if you're in Windows that is and have not installed drivers provided by the manufacturer. In any case, unless you're having problems there's little point in updating any drivers. The less you mess with your windows install, the longer it'll last before you need to go nuclear.
I used windows yes. Thanks for letting me know this :Dance4: